FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

News fail

Solon_Poledourus
The topics in this forum have been getting quite serious lately, and it's understandable, as there is alot of serious stuff going on. So I thought I'd lighten things up a bit by providing some humor in the World News section.

This is a video of FOX news not getting their crap together before turning on the cameras. I am not picking on FOX, every station screws the pooch at one point, I just happened to run across this by chance, and felt obligated to share it. I'm hoping we can dig up other news agencies stuttering and stammering or cursing and just plain losing it.

Fox News fail... enjoy.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
The topics in this forum have been getting quite serious lately, and it's understandable, as there is alot of serious stuff going on. So I thought I'd lighten things up a bit by providing some humor in the World News section.

This is a video of FOX news not getting their crap together before turning on the cameras. I am not picking on FOX, every station screws the pooch at one point, I just happened to run across this by chance, and felt obligated to share it. I'm hoping we can dig up other news agencies stuttering and stammering or cursing and just plain losing it.

Fox News fail... enjoy.

Good topic. Except I'd like to see all the media included in it. News is biased period. Fox News is perhaps getting more attention because it is far right. But whether far right, middle of the road, or far left, manipulation by the media is wrong. Where is Alan Shore ..... ? Twisted Evil
Solon_Poledourus
OK... I swear I am not trying to single out FOX news, but their blunders are EPIC. So here is another. An oldie, but goodie.

The J-Lo BJ... I love this guys recovery.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
OK... I swear I am not trying to single out FOX news, but their blunders are EPIC. So here is another. An oldie, but goodie.

The J-Lo BJ... I love this guys recovery.
Duh ...... Rolling Eyes How about coming up with some solutions for fixing this problem with the media? Solon wavelengths .... Smile

By the way, what is the translation of that funny language in your signature? Is it Russian? Nice image, I like the contrast.
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
How about coming up with some solutions for fixing this problem with the media? Solon wavelengths
Trust me, you don't want me in charge of the media.
Quote:
By the way, what is the translation of that funny language in your signature? Is it Russian?
It's a Cyrillic style font, based on the looks of the Cyrillic alphabet used in Russian. But it's actually English.
Quote:
Nice image, I like the contrast.
Thanks. It will eventually link to my website.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
It's a Cyrillic style font, based on the looks of the Cyrillic alphabet used in Russian. But it's actually English.
Are you serious? I can't read this "English" what does it mean? Smile

So what would you do to the media that they should be afraid off? Smile
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
Are you serious? I can't read this "English" what does it mean?
It says "POLEDOURUSTAN...... A DICTATORSHIP".
Quote:
So what would you do to the media that they should be afraid off?
I would shut it down. In Poledourustan, if you want to know what's going on in your city/state/country, then you go to the town hall/city hall/state rep/congressional meetings, you attend the speeches, you hold town hall meetings and make sure that the Representative you send to the capitol is not a crook. You make sure, with your physical presence, that they carry the actual message of the people to the national leaders. If you want to know what's going on with crime and such, read the police blotter. Traffic and weather would not be considered "news media", they would be readily available on the net for everyone.

If you don't actively apply yourself to the politics of Poledourustan, then you have no say in how it's run.
ocalhoun
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
I would shut it down. In Poledourustan, if you want to know what's going on in your city/state/country, then you go to the town hall/city hall/state rep/congressional meetings, you attend the speeches, you hold town hall meetings and make sure that the Representative you send to the capitol is not a crook. You make sure, with your physical presence, that they carry the actual message of the people to the national leaders. If you want to know what's going on with crime and such, read the police blotter. Traffic and weather would not be considered "news media", they would be readily available on the net for everyone.

If you don't actively apply yourself to the politics of Poledourustan, then you have no say in how it's run.

This would only work in a very small setting, of course. And a good media would help keep the government accountable, exposing flaws (which is why the freedom of the press needs to be preserved).

Sure the media lies to you, but why wouldn't that representative giving a speech also lie?
TomS
deanhills wrote:
Where is Alan Shore ..... ? Twisted Evil

Laughing

Yeah. We need eloquent lawyers with targets on their butts, that screw around with the manipulative forces in this universe! Sleepover?
medesignz
BBC News 24 are notorious in the UK for their correspondent c*ck-ups!
Solon_Poledourus
ocalhoun wrote:
This would only work in a very small setting, of course.
Poledourustan would be pretty small.
Quote:
And a good media would help keep the government accountable, exposing flaws (which is why the freedom of the press needs to be preserved).
The problem with media in general is that it's corporately sponsored, and those same corporations sponsor politicians through donations. It's crooked from the start.
Quote:
Sure the media lies to you, but why wouldn't that representative giving a speech also lie?
Because the population is armed. In Poledourustan, politicians are paid the same as mid-level corporate management jobs(it's pretty much the same job, after all). So they would not be living in a Governors mansion, they would live in your neighborhood. I believe that a politician can only truly represent the people when they live among them and can connect to them.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
This would only work in a very small setting, of course.
Poledourustan would be pretty small.
Quote:
And a good media would help keep the government accountable, exposing flaws (which is why the freedom of the press needs to be preserved).
The problem with media in general is that it's corporately sponsored, and those same corporations sponsor politicians through donations. It's crooked from the start.
Quote:
Because the population is armed. In Poledourustan, politicians are paid the same as mid-level corporate management jobs(it's pretty much the same job, after all). So they would not be living in a Governors mansion, they would live in your neighborhood. I believe that a politician can only truly represent the people when they live among them and can connect to them.
You're right, I don't want to know Twisted Evil I won't get to see Boston Legal anymore. Some of the sparks would have gone, and it feels terribly controlling. Why "armed"? And where is all of this going to lead to?

TomS wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Where is Alan Shore ..... ? Twisted Evil

Laughing

Yeah. We need eloquent lawyers with targets on their butts, that screw around with the manipulative forces in this universe! Sleepover?
Last night saw an episode when he was addressing the Supreme Court and sorting out each and every single judge there along the lines that they all had political agendas when they were making important legal decisions. Makes a person feel good, at least for the duration of his presentation. But yes, we really need more people who are unafraid to speak their minds, instead of to toe lines.
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
I won't get to see Boston Legal anymore.
No no... TV is fine, just not news media.
Quote:
Why "armed"? And where is all of this going to lead to?
Armed, because I believe in a well armed and responsible society. The right to bear arms is not about hunting or anything else they keep bringing up in gun control debates. It's about a population having the right, the ability, and the responsibility to defend themselves against an oppressive government, be it foreign or domestic.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Quote:
Why "armed"? And where is all of this going to lead to?
Armed, because I believe in a well armed and responsible society. The right to bear arms is not about hunting or anything else they keep bringing up in gun control debates. It's about a population having the right, the ability, and the responsibility to defend themselves against an oppressive government, be it foreign or domestic.
Well now that you mention it, there are quite a number of people that would be nice to take shots at .... Smile
ocalhoun
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Oh, TV, movies, songs and other 'purely entertainment' things generally have biases and messages to convince people of as well. They're usually pretty subtle though.
Solon_Poledourus
ocalhoun wrote:
Oh, TV, movies, songs and other 'purely entertainment' things generally have biases and messages to convince people of as well. They're usually pretty subtle though.
Yes, but they pass themselves off as the entertainment that they are. And it's usually just an opinion anyway, not being sold as gospel.
ocalhoun
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Yes, but they pass themselves off as the entertainment that they are. And it's usually just an opinion anyway, not being sold as gospel.

Which makes it all the more effective.
Solon_Poledourus
ocalhoun wrote:
I don't dispute that. I just appreciate the honesty of artists and storytellers calling fiction and opinion what they are.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
I don't dispute that. I just appreciate the honesty of artists and storytellers calling fiction and opinion what they are.
So where would programs like "Oprah", "Dr. Phil", "Doctors" feature as those are definitely people who influence opinion in a big way.
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
So where would programs like "Oprah", "Dr. Phil", "Doctors" feature as those are definitely people who influence opinion in a big way.
They are not 'news agencies'. They are talk shows that thrive on overly dramatizing the events of peoples' lives. If you find it entertaining, good for you. If you find it informative, fine. If you are influenced by it, that's your business. But it's not a news agency, it's entertainment. All I would shut down is the actual 'news media'. Nothing else(yet).
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
They are not 'news agencies'. They are talk shows that thrive on overly dramatizing the events of peoples' lives. If you find it entertaining, good for you. If you find it informative, fine. If you are influenced by it, that's your business. But it's not a news agency, it's entertainment. All I would shut down is the actual 'news media'. Nothing else(yet).
I don't find it entertaining at all. That is pretty insulting Solon Evil or Very Mad BUT, if you ever had a look at it, as well as the news coming from it, there is very little difference between the news reporting that you are very critical about and these talk shows. They ARE NOT only there to entertain, they are there to influence people. In fact they may even be worse than the political shows, and are actually serving to enrich those such as Oprah and Phil, thriving on people's weaknesses.

Bottomline, once you start to censor the press such as you suggested, then the grey areas are going to become even greyer.
jabce85
haha, oops.. seriously fox news, how hard can it be?!
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
I don't find it entertaining at all. That is pretty insulting Solon
I didn't mean "you" in specific, just viewers in general.
Quote:
Bottomline, once you start to censor the press such as you suggested, then the grey areas are going to become even greyer.
Don't think of it as a 'censorship of the press', because all I'm really advocating is the elimination of state sponsorship of the press. In effect, I would be handing over the press to the people. The 'news' would be reported by regular people on the net and wherever else they could get it. I just hate the idea of this huge corporate news machine which censors and distorts the information before reporting it to us. What these corporate information assassins do to the news is a disservice to the people they supposedly serve. It's damn near treasonous.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
I didn't mean "you" in specific, just viewers in general.

Thanks ... Laughing
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Don't think of it as a 'censorship of the press', because all I'm really advocating is the elimination of state sponsorship of the press. In effect, I would be handing over the press to the people. The 'news' would be reported by regular people on the net and wherever else they could get it. I just hate the idea of this huge corporate news machine which censors and distorts the information before reporting it to us. What these corporate information assassins do to the news is a disservice to the people they supposedly serve. It's damn near treasonous.
How about some of the sponsorship coming from private industry cultivating specific candidates? For example, it was quite obvious who Oprah was supporting during the election campaign? What's to prevent candidates for election to organize specific methods for influencing people to vote for them by negotiation with their supporters in commerce and industry who own the media as well as the media owners themselves?
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
Thanks ...
A pleasure.
Quote:
How about some of the sponsorship coming from private industry cultivating specific candidates? For example, it was quite obvious who Oprah was supporting during the election campaign? What's to prevent candidates for election to organize specific methods for influencing people to vote for them by negotiation with their supporters in commerce and industry who own the media as well as the media owners themselves?
No government money going to corporations, no corporate money going to the government. It really is a very simple rule.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Thanks ...
A pleasure.
Quote:
No government money going to corporations, no corporate money going to the government. It really is a very simple rule.
What I meant was instead of money, the lobbying could well be "in kind". X Candidate being supported by X CEO or Media who would be able to influence opinions? Along "I pat your back, you pat my back" lobbying lines.
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
What I meant was instead of money, the lobbying could well be "in kind". X Candidate being supported by X CEO or Media who would be able to influence opinions? Along "I pat your back, you pat my back" lobbying lines.
That's deplorable behavior. I would punch both X and X right in the mouth. Grow the **** up and do the damn news. Quit pandering to some pimp with a handful of bills like a cheap Vegas Strip ******. Dammit these 'news agencies' are just a bunch of 2 dollar skanks being pimped to 300million people. It's just pathetic.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
That's deplorable behavior. I would punch both X and X right in the mouth. Grow the **** up and do the damn news. Quit pandering to some pimp with a handful of bills like a cheap Vegas Strip ******. Dammit these 'news agencies' are just a bunch of 2 dollar skanks being pimped to 300million people. It's just pathetic.
Well, looks as though you have made good progress with the beers Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mrbean
thanks brother
PleoMaster
That was epic 3 time failure for fox news:P