FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

In search of God - with my mate Rod !

wellerchap
Saturday, spent a great afternoon with my pal Rod in Ossett (small satellite town of Wakefield in Northern England), visiting the church & going up the tower (more a camera mission than a religious one though!).

As churches go, it's a good looker!

As high as we can go....still 71 steps, including a tight spiral stone staircase & several very awkward wooden ladders.

Straight up inside the stone built spire....226 feet off the ground at the very top...there were peregrine falcons nesting up there, and the bones & feathers of their pigeon dinners scattered about...now THAT would have been a sight to see !

The bell chamber.....12 bells - not big really, until you consider that space is about 18ft wide

The nigh-on 150 years old clock mechanism....4 clock faces being run by one cogged device - built in Leeds just up the road aswell!

Ossett centre, with the Town Hall clock tower

Gawthorpe water tower

So high we could see the Scottish Highlands.... Rolling Eyes

....and blummin' Blackpool Tower! Rolling Eyes

Panorama to the west

And a panorama of Wakefield, to the east
jwellsy
Cool series of pics.
The 12 hyperbolic cooling towers in that last picture is impressive too. I've never seen that many in one spot before.
wellerchap
there are actually 2 different power stations there...separated by about 15 miles, though they look close on the photo. 8 towers on the right, 6 on the left.
The closest (on the right) are about 15 miles away, the furthest, 20.
Though I know the area, it still takes some fathoming out, without Google maps as a reference, but is interesting seeing familiar places from a new perspective.
Last week I took these pics from Wakefield, across the country towards Barnsley, about 10 miles away...

jabce85
that's really awesome! thanks for the pics.
sana618
WOW!!!
are you a professional photographer and which camera do you have? what type of lenses did you use? these are really awesome photos.
hangnhu
I thought you were searching for god, this is photography and architect or archeology, somewhat
anyway, but nice set of photos
and best of luck in your search, although truthfully, god is around us and especially inside us
bigt
hangnhu wrote:
I thought you were searching for god, this is photography and architect or archeology, somewhat
and best of luck in your search, although truthfully, god is around us and especially inside us

Ditto. Great photographs.
wellerchap
sana618 wrote:
WOW!!!
are you a professional photographer and which camera do you have? what type of lenses did you use? these are really awesome photos.

No, not professional at all....as the 4,739 photos I've deleted will testify to! Very Happy
The camera's a Sony A300 dslr and for the zoom I use a 75-300mm lens.

hangnhu wrote:

Not searching really, no.....I like to use metaphors; maybe they don't translate too well?
And it was easy as "God", "Rod" & "Mod" all rhyme Razz
crimson_aria
wow, they are beautiful. I love that Church. great pictures.
Radar
Nice work. Like the appreciation of the very old and beautiful church buildings.

I know a lot of churches that are just regular buildings, and nothing wrong with that, but yes, it is nice to appreciate some of the older styles of architecture now and then.
truespeed
[quoteIn search of God - with my mate Rod[/quote]

I like the title,the kind of title channel 5 or dave would use for one of their tv programmes.
wellerchap
truespeed wrote:
[quoteIn search of God - with my mate Rod

I like the title,the kind of title channel 5 or dave would use for one of their tv programmes.[/quote]

We're actually both in a local scooter club, and are into the mod scene....I was going to call it "In search of God, with Rod the Mod", but thought that may have been lost on most people Smile