FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Apple MobileMe

paytime
Does anyone know anything about Apple's MobileMe Domain-Service. Im using iWeb in connection with our highly beloved frihost.com website (FTP) and Im thinking about paying for Apple's service to create my own domains.

Will I be able to password protect ...

...a) certain sections or folders of this MobileMe domain
...b) an entire domain at MobileMe

and

How many domains can I have ? Will there be any restrictions about content and webspace ?

Would be cool if you could talk about you personal experience using MobileMe domains in connection with iWeb.

Thanks very much !!

--> I also love the frihost server Wink[/b]
paytime
Ok, sorry...

Now I found out, that my expectations about MobileMe were completely wrong. What MobileME does is the following...

As far as I understood:

1. you find an external Domain-Provider and pay for that service there (so you set up your domain)
2. you go to an Apple Store (or online) and pay for MobileMe

3. you connect those 2 VERY DIFFERENT services and then youre able to use iWeb to upload your personal website onto your domain.

MobileMe does NOT provide Top-Level-Domains its only possible to connect your already existing domain to the MobileMe service.

Just an additional comment from my side: Apple should make that more clear at their website, so nobody would go out and pay 79,- Euro (in Germany) for that service which doesnt get your website up and running simply by using iWeb and MobileME (like I would have expected).
paytime
after some (more) research I finally found out, that I completely misunderstood what Apple's customer support told me the other day.

If you buy a MobileMe Account you can upload your very own Homepage to MobileMe and your site will be online for everyone who types in the following URL:

http://web.me.com/**your-mobileMe-account-name**

Just in case you do not like to have this URL, MobileMe makes it easy to connect your already existing URL (for example: http://www.travelingtheworldwithmike.com) with your MobileMe-standard-URL (the one starting with web.me.com)

So there is webspace included in MobileMe and everyone can access your homepage using the web.me.com/ ... followed by your MobileMe Account name.

So sorry to confuse you. Thats cause I was confused and a bit disappointed at the beginning, cause I just didnt get it. Sorry about that
paytime
Im using MobileMe for a while how. Its a great way to share your iPhoto albums with your friends or family. The MobileMe-username is included in the homepage adress for your online-foto-gallery so do not choose a MobileMe-username like "fatgirl69" when sharing fotos of business lunch Wink