FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Second Life...not really a game..or is it?

flyfamilyguy
Hello everyone

I recently installed Second Life. A friend told be about this virtual life, where you can be anything that you want to be, go anywhere that you want to go, and do anything that you want to do. He said that its addicting. I didn't believe him. Now I'm a Rock Star in my Second Life, and spend many hours of my Real Life, performing for my fans in this virtual world. It's really quite amazing!

It has become almost and obsession. I have met so many people from all over the world. Real People who I can chat with. Good people. People who wish to just get away from Real Life sometimes, and get lost in another place where the only limits are ones imagination.
love_her_freida_pinto
Can't you also make money (Linden) in that game and for every 60 Linden you get 1 USD?
Starrfoxx
I could never get into Second Life enough, due to time and just trying to figure out how the program works.
Nameless
Although I haven't actually used it myself, from what I've heard it would much fairer to call it a simulation rather than a game - either way, there are plenty of limitations other than your imagination. Unless your avatar CAN whisk up a few dragons and start diving bombing the cars of random passersby, I'm not particularly interested. Razz
Tuvitor
I'm not a big fan of Second Life. In fact, I'd go as far as saying I hate it. Loathe might not be too strong a word to describe the spasming foaming fits of ... ALKJ:KLJKLJ this "game" puts me into.

Actually, I really don't care about it one way or another. My sister was into it for a while, I looked at it but it didn't interest me.
blackhole365
Can anyone explain me how does the linden and the money stuff work in second life? You have to spend real money, right? Is it expensive? Is it safe, when you exchenge your money for linden?
Dean_The_Great
I've never gotten into Second Life. I don't understand why you wouldn't just go out and live life like that in real life.
amperx
haven't tried that game, and ill look up to the mechanics of the game and see if its really good Very Happy although you could enjoy life more than virtual
pscompanies
I think it really depends on your and the other players' net connection speed and ping. Slow speeds make this game hell to play, even on tricked-out rigs.
ticktacktoe
I don't think Second Life is a game, since there's nothing really to do in it, it's just a sandbox mode open world without any aim.
And like someone above put it, why would anyone want to waste their real life in this pointless thing anyway!

I tried it once, a few friends dragged me into it, but I found it so boring and pointless I left pretty soon.
David_Pardy
I downloaded it, opened it up, looked around for about 15 minutes, thought "This is far too complex and not something I want to waste my time with.". Promptly uninstalled it and I've never thought of going back.

I spend more time than I want to on the computer as it is, the last thing I need to do to myself is create a virtual life online. Especially since I want to be a professional musician in REAL life Wink
truespeed
David_Pardy wrote:
I downloaded it, opened it up, looked around for about 15 minutes, thought "This is far too complex and not something I want to waste my time with.". Promptly uninstalled it and I've never thought of going back.

I spend more time than I want to on the computer as it is, the last thing I need to do to myself is create a virtual life online. Especially since I want to be a professional musician in REAL life Wink

You could become a musician in second life,and get paid for it,only in Lindens though.
SunD3R
Second Life (SL) is a virtual world developed by Linden Lab that launched on June 23, 2003 and is accessible via the Internet. A free client program called the Second Life Viewer[1] enables its users, called Residents, to interact with each other through avatars. Residents can explore, meet other residents, socialize, participate in individual and group activities, and create and trade virtual property and services with one another, or travel throughout the world, which residents refer to as the grid. Second Life is for people aged 18 and over, while Teen Second Life is for people aged 13 to 17.

Built into the software is a three dimensional modeling tool based around simple geometric shapes that allows a resident to build virtual objects. This can be used in combination with the Linden Scripting Language which can be used to add functionality to objects. More complex three dimensional Sculpted prims (colloquially known as sculpties), textures for clothing or other objects, and animations and gestures can be created using external software. The Second Life Terms of Service ensure that users retain copyright for any content they create, and the server and client provide simple digital rights management functions. Very Happy

Reference: Wikipedia

So it really isn't a game but more of a virtual reality because there is no aim to this 'game'.
morfeusman
Nameless wrote:
Although I haven't actually used it myself, from what I've heard it would much fairer to call it a simulation rather than a game - either way, there are plenty of limitations other than your imagination. Unless your avatar CAN whisk up a few dragons and start diving bombing the cars of random passersby, I'm not particularly interested. Razz

actually, you can.
you can do anything.
i don't like it
everytime i go anywhere, some hacker shoots my guy into space.
[FuN]goku
I think I'll have this a go, just to see if it's my kind of game.. To me , it looks like The Sims . lol
snowboardalliance
I've tried it and I really didn't feel like getting involved. I didn't want to spend time building things and I couldn't figure out what to do. I kept running into things that would just open some spam take a survey for Second Life money web page and I got sick of it. No point.
joostvane
I might try it someday. But you must pay attention that it doesn't get an addiction. You could get so sucked in it, sounds a bit like World Of Warcraft. Razz
Starrfoxx
joostvane wrote:
I might try it someday. But you must pay attention that it doesn't get an addiction. You could get so sucked in it, sounds a bit like World Of Warcraft. Razz

World of Warcraft would be more fun. Funny thing is that I never had an interest in WoW either.
eday2010
I don't consider Second Life a game. I consider it a life for people who don't have a real life.
Spiritfall
Instead of playing another game you could play Second Life. First time I saw it I said it`s a bullsh*t but I tried again after a month and I really liked it. You can work, you can make friends from anywhere in the world, you can have fun, but only if you don't pass a limit.. a limit of time spent in the game.. a limit of reality. Instead just playing WoW or any other game which is a fiction you could just do whatever you do in real life, or just trying to be a better you. Example: there are many shy people who doesn't find someone to love for being too shy. They could just try to experiment how to talk to someone, what does a person needs to hear to accept a invitation to go out etc. In second life I`ve met many people that are taking this role serious. They accepted it as a second life. I don't say they`re obsessed, they`re just expressing their feelings as they would do in the real life.
There are many good reasons for playing this game only if you know how to take advantage of them.
Bluedoll
I think 2nd life is a game only because 2nd life dot com the company advertises it as such. In many games people may take things seriously both in roles and what they actually do in it, in reality.

As for the money aspect, I am not sure what it is like now but around 2007 the overall game industry was reported to produce 12 billion - not sure if that figure is exaggerated but someone must be making money.

Personal preference will determine in any game the likes, dont likes and what they want out of a game. So therefore I think it will vary from person to person how serious their involvement is and obviously have different reasons for being interested.

Life could be called a big game.
Chinmoy
2nd life only a game and with my first life too messed up, i would rahter spend time managing it than worry about getting a good second life..
silverdown
I play Secondlife for about 2 hours everyday, it great for a social and talk to people however it a very unstable game. I have notice that can have the same issue happen, but take alot longer the 2nd or 3rd time to fix it..... they don't know their down system/game evidently...
keyman
I first tried Second Life in November 2008 and found it to be interesting, but my computer didn't handle it very well--with only 512 mb of RAM and no graphics card besides the onboard video, I am amazed it even worked at all. So I gave up on that, but a few months later after doing upgrades to my PC including more RAM and an nvidia card I thought it would be neat to try again. I was not too enthused about Second Life really, but had heard of other virtual worlds that had a similar interface, in fact they used the same viewer software that is used to connect into Second Life.

You can install the server software on your own PC if you have a decent broadband connection, or on any server that you have full root access to. The software is called OpenSim, it's open source and free to use but is still in the alpha stage of development so it can be kind of buggy but it's almost identical to being in Second Life except you have your own private world, your own "land" with no one to bother you. If you want to interact with other "players" you can join a grid and attach your sim to it, and your sim can be part of the mainland continent or be off on it's own anywhere on the grid. One of the most popular grids is OSGrid, free to join and and free to attach your own OpenSim regions to.

Many people are convinced that opensource 3D simulator software like this will be the new wave of the internet after it matures. Instead of browsing two-dimensional webpages as we do now, we'll be hopping from one 3D world to another, immersing ourselves in other people's virtual worlds. WebGL and HTML5 are now making this possible but it's all still in a development stage. It's not just a game, it's another way of social interaction with people around the globe. Kind of early to say what this will all lead to, but it is kind of exciting I think. I am not a shut-in, I have a decent "first life", but there are so many people who for many reasons are isolated and virtual reality is one good way to "de-isolate" oneself.
rayxzero
For me virtual game is not really a game. Game should have objective and have some puzzle to solve.
keyman
Yeah, most people that I meet on OSGrid prefer to look at it that way, instead of calling it just a game. Doing that trivializes the virtual world, it's much more than just a game. True, there is some fantasy role playing and the appearance of most avatars is an idealized fantasy version of how we want to look, but stlll behind that facade there is a real person and most participants relate to each other as real people with some exceptions.
metalfreek
Second life is a great virtual world. I have used it for over two months and its really addictive. I mean I would spend whole day running around the world and making friends. If you have a good time to spend than give it a shot but if you are busy man than you better stay away from it because its very very addictive. (it was addictive for me).
gphoenix
in short

second life is a place for shitheads who cant face the threats when living in real life..
QrafTee
I remember when Dwight from The Office had a Second Life character which had a Second Life of its own in Second Second Life. It was funny. It's an interesting premise... but it's not for me.