FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

if you dvd burner stop working...

badai
if you are using xp or vista and your dvd burner behaving erratically (error when burning, cannot detect disc), look for latest update from microsoft in add/remove program (program and features in vista) and remove them all. just remove the latest update. not all of it. i think only 3 updates. updates for windows, not other product like microsoft office. there were other updates for ms office too, and you don't have to remove them.

this is for latest update that got installed today, if you're reading this a week from now, it's most probably a different problem then.
ocalhoun
Never install windows updates unless something is already wrong and you think that the update fix it...
Windows updates have been known to mess up perfectly good systems, just like you're talking about.
badai
you need to install windows update because it will protect your system and fix any bug they discover.

in the case where your hardware or software not working after that, it's the manufacturer's responsibility to release fix to make it work, like what happen to eset after vista sp2.

that is why if you are in charge of some big company with your own in house application, you will have to make policy not to upgrade to latest service pack until your developer team make your application works with the latest service pack.

bottom line, if it does not work, it's your fault, not microsoft.

in this case, since dvd drive use driver from microsoft, it's microsft who will need to fix it.

don't give bad advice to others. you can choose not to install those critical updates from microsoft, but then when you connect to the internet you become that ignorant irresponsible people who will let malware infect your computer then spread it to others. if you don't want to protect your computer, fine, do what all those admin in big company do, don't allow those computer to be connected to the internet.
ocalhoun
badai wrote:

when you connect to the internet you become that ignorant irresponsible people who will let malware infect your computer then spread it to others.

Oh, you mean Windows users? ^.^

Depending on Window's built-in protection alone is lunacy. My windows computer is protected by third party software, and has yet to get any kind of infection, because I always scan anything downloaded, use firefox instead of IE, and run weekly virus and malware scans (separately).
I've never downloaded a single windows update for it, and all the built-in security features are disabled, replaced with third party software.
badai
you missing the point.

when you go to other country sometime you are required to take vaccine to protect you from some diseases.

but without taking vaccine, you can also protect yourself by avoiding getting those diseases like only drink from bottle water, never eat raw fruits and veggies, etc.

sure, you can be fine without taking those vaccine if you take good precaution all the time. it just that with that vaccine, you already have built in protection from known diseases. it add another layer of protection for yourself.

so, it just not wise to tell other that they don't need all those vaccine. we need all the protection we can have. and not everybody is smart enough to choose a good third party tools for their protection. you can see it all the time here people keep asking what's the best anti virus, is windows firewall alone is enough. that's the whole point microsoft keep patching their OS. new threats keep emerging everyday, while good third party tools can protect you, it's always wise to be inoculate against known threat in the first place.

if you ever install windows xp before sp2 while connecting to the Internet, you would know why. even before you can install firewall and antivirus after finished installing windows, your computer could already been infected. so built in protection is just as important with additional third party tools, if not better, or a must.

the whole point here (that i think you are missing), do not encourage other users to endanger themselves. they are not as computer savvy as you are, and you wouldn't be there when their antivirus failed them. let help them protect themselves as much as we can. and if thing ever screw up like their dvd not working, we let them know.

by the way, if things don't work, they will always release new fix or driver to make things work again, so there is no point really to abandon those updates. and honestly, i only hear people rant about other company didn't release fix/driver after windows update, not that people rant about microsoft releasing updates that screw their hardware and software. unless of course, if you are a developer/manufacturer.
ocalhoun
badai wrote:

so, it just not wise to tell other that they don't need all those vaccine. we need all the protection we can have. and not everybody is smart enough to choose a good third party tools for their protection. you can see it all the time here people keep asking what's the best anti virus, is windows firewall alone is enough. that's the whole point microsoft keep patching their OS. new threats keep emerging everyday, while good third party tools can protect you, it's always wise to be inoculate against known threat in the first place.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease though.

And yes, I suppose it is better for the ignorant and stupid to simply depend on a single, corporate protector to keep them from harm and fix everything that is wrong. I detest such dependency though.
badai
you know what, it just best to prove everything by evidence. how about you list down all the havoc microsoft update has caused us to really proved that the cure is worse than the disease. i'll help you get started:

1. eset nod32 stop working with vista and 2008 sp2. but eset already provide fix within 48 hours. it seem that the cure is the right one. otherwise eset will tell microsoft and microsft will provide another patch. it happened before with an update with directx 9, where you can't play certain format and microsoft issue another fix for that patch.

2. one or all of these updates mess up all my dvd drive on vista and xp: KB961501, KB968537, KB970238.

you can add more. i'm sure you knew how to google.

oh by the way, the latest version of nod32, one of the best antivirus, will even warn you if your windows are missing any updates. by default it will notify you of critical and important updates, and it will give you a link to windows update. i don't know about other antivirus, but if even eset would warn you to install those updates, i think that's really a point not to ignore.

if you are against microsoft, well everybody will say microsoft is stupid, but you against microsoft and eset, then people will start to doubt to take your advise.