FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vista\Kubuntu

misterXY
Did anyone just get the updates a few days ago? It got stuck with stage 3 out of 3 @ 0% then shut off, guess it was normal according to friends, l let it on 6.5 hours and still doing it, had enough and got a 64x Ult. copy... l was running 32x Home Prem. Solved it by allowing it to go 100% but still rebooting, found a copy of kubuntu, for the love of god, KEEP A COPY OF LINUX! It's such a life saver, thank the good lord l had a 8.10 Kubuntu copy around. Just really want people to keep a copy, l think l'd be pounding my head if l didn't keep a copy. Shocked
Donutey
Well that's lucky on your part, although I don't really understand your explanation of the problem Rolling Eyes .

Also, to be pedantic, it is 32-bit and 64-bit not 64x or 32x. I believe you are getting the "x" from the x86 and x86-64 (or x64) instruction set architectures.
Fire Boar
Shame kubuntu 8.10 is the worst version of kubuntu. 9.04 is okay after a bit of hacking, but 8.04 (long term support, last version to use KDE 3.5) is by far the best of the bunch.

But anyway, that anecdote just makes Windows Vista even more laughable than it is already. Ahahaha.
misterXY
Fire Boar wrote:
Shame kubuntu 8.10 is the worst version of kubuntu. 9.04 is okay after a bit of hacking, but 8.04 (long term support, last version to use KDE 3.5) is by far the best of the bunch.

But anyway, that anecdote just makes Windows Vista even more laughable than it is already. Ahahaha.

Ya never got a attempt too use 8.10 till now, kept having to sent the laptop back too HP for repairs, and they'd void the warranty. A little paranoid much? Who knows

But ordered a cd (limited bandwidth) from Ubunutu and Kubuntu, lost the ubuntu but found the kubuntu cd and thank god. People need too keep a copy of linux if they're running windows.

Even though 8.10 sucked, (upgraded to 9) still beats windows Razz
Hogwarts
misterXY wrote:
But ordered a cd (limited bandwidth) from Ubunutu and Kubuntu, lost the ubuntu but found the kubuntu cd and thank god. People need too keep a copy of linux if they're running windows.

And what if said Linux installation breaks?
misterXY
Hogwarts wrote:
misterXY wrote:

Try a few, using LiveCD, or install it before any issues come up?
Fire Boar
Hogwarts wrote:
misterXY wrote:

Live CDs don't break. Well, I suppose if you got scratches all over it or trod on it or use it as a coaster or something, they might, but it's ROM, so as long as you take care of the disk, it's impossible to break.

Seriously, I never go out without a copy of Puppy Linux close at hand. Literally, it's on a bootable USB stick on my keyring. Knoppix would be better, but it's a bit big.
Hogwarts
Fire Boar wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:
misterXY wrote:

Live CDs don't break. Well, I suppose if you got scratches all over it or trod on it or use it as a coaster or something, they might, but it's ROM, so as long as you take care of the disk, it's impossible to break.

Last time I checked, a live CD wasn't an installation Wink

In addition, dependence upon a CD -- which is likely to become damaged -- isn't the best option, either.
misterXY
Hogwarts wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:
misterXY wrote:

In addition, dependence upon a CD -- which is likely to become damaged -- isn't the best option, either.

Most livecd's do. l know *ubtunu does. l've actually never used a livecd / thumb drive that didn't have the option lol.
misterXY
Hogwarts wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:
misterXY wrote:

Keep the CD clean, have one in the car, one in the places you keep cds, one in your Emergency kit Razz Just do a SumCheck5, make sure the boot is clean and sparkling shine!