FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Congress may set limits on volume of TV ads

Nick2008
Quote:

WASHINGTON - Congress soon might mute screaming TV-ad announcers who press viewers to "buy now!" - if broadcasters don't beat the lawmakers to the volume button.

Under a proposal to be taken up today, the Federal Communications Commission would limit ad volumes to the average decibels of the TV show during which they appear.

Full Article: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/06/11/20090611loud-tvads0611.html

There's people losing their homes, a job crisis, companies failing, a $10 tril+ national debt, North Korea launching nukes, 2 wars... and the congress is concentrating on the volume of television??
Voodoocat
Actually, maybe the government needs to spend more time on useless legislation like this. With luck, they will be so tied up trying to figure out what the average decibel levels of TV shows are that they spend less time doing things like spending $30 billion dollars to keep a car company out of bankrupcy only to have the company go bankrupt after all.
ocalhoun
Again, let's play Legitimate government activities vs. stuff the government has little or no business with!
Nick2008 wrote:

There's people losing their homes, a job crisis, companies failing, a $10 tril+ national debt, North Korea launching nukes, 2 wars... and the congress is concentrating on the volume of television??

Things like setting communications standards are what the government is there for, and I'm happy to see them spending time doing it.
deanhills
Nick2008 wrote:
Quote:

WASHINGTON - Congress soon might mute screaming TV-ad announcers who press viewers to "buy now!" - if broadcasters don't beat the lawmakers to the volume button.

Under a proposal to be taken up today, the Federal Communications Commission would limit ad volumes to the average decibels of the TV show during which they appear.

Full Article: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/06/11/20090611loud-tvads0611.html

From a technical point of view I seem to have problems with the decibels in volume of ads on my TV. Very annoying. Everything would be fine, and then this one ad would appear and I find myself grabbing my remote control to quiten the screechy ad.

What I would really like is for ads to have no volume at all, and if I wish to listen to them being able to add the volume instead of the other way round. But then again that is probably very unfair to the advertisers who are sponsoring the shows that I like so much. To be truthful, I'd rather that the Government stays away from this kind of legislation, and rather focus on real problems, such as the environment. I agree with Nick. Legislation is very expensive too, especially given the huge debt of the Government, maybe they should focus on more important issues for legislation first.
Insanity
I think to say that they were focusing their attention on TV ads is a bit misleading. This is probably only one bill of the many hundred thousands that go through Congress. So no, they are not dividing their attention up that much. That being said, I agree that those ads are extremely annoying and they should do something about it before it gets out of control. And yes, they should pay more attention to the economic crisis that is going on right now.
deanhills
Insanity wrote:
I think to say that they were focusing their attention on TV ads is a bit misleading. This is probably only one bill of the many hundred thousands that go through Congress.
That makes it worse, not better, if there are thousands of these silly bills going through Congress while large issues still need to be attended to?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Insanity wrote:
I think to say that they were focusing their attention on TV ads is a bit misleading. This is probably only one bill of the many hundred thousands that go through Congress.
That makes it worse, not better, if there are thousands of these silly bills going through Congress while large issues still need to be attended to?

There will always be large issues. That doesn't mean you can permanently ignore the small ones though.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Insanity wrote:

There will always be large issues. That doesn't mean you can permanently ignore the small ones though.
Perhaps I did not express it well. I was referring to the small ones that rate less important. I am certain some of the small ones rate high and are necessary. The bill that Nick was referring to did sound absurd relative to major issues.