FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trick on XP

metalfreek
Here is a cool technique which hides entire hard disk drives by a simple procedure.

1) Go to Start > Run > type "diskpart".
A DOS window will appear

2) Then type "list volume"
you will be shown the list of your all partions that you got

3) Suppose you want to hide drive E then type "select volume 3"
Then a message will appear in same window { Volume 3 is the selected volume}

4) Now type "remove letter E"
Now a message will come { Diskpart Removed the Drive letter }

sometime it requires to reboot the computer.
Diskpart will remove the letter.

Windows XP is not having capabilty to identify the unknown volume.
Your Data is now safe from unauthorised users.

To access the content of hidden Drive repeat the process mentioned above. But in 4th step replace " remove" by "assign".
It means type "assign letter E".
ocalhoun
metalfreek wrote:

Unless the unauthorized users have bootable CD's...
The only way to protect data with any measure of surety is to encrypt it.
thedinh
Quote:

I do not know what you mean?
where bootCDtable here?
Fire Boar
thedinh wrote:
Quote:

I do not know what you mean?
where bootCDtable here?

Oh, there are hundreds. BartPE is a Windows-based bootable CD, but who on earth uses Windows bootables? Linux is far more useful when doing bootable ops (such as system recovery) and there's much more variety based on your needs (Backtrack for penetration testing; Ubuntu for people who've got ubuntu on their own computers or on a friends and who haven't got another bootable CD; DSL for minimalists, Knoppix for pretty much anybody). So, if you want to hide drive "E", volume 3 and do it this way, it's a simple matter to just:

mkdir /mnt/disk
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/disk

And what d'you know, if you look at /mnt/disk, you'll see the contents of "volume 3" which you have so effectively hidden to protect it from unauthorized access. Or, if you've got a desktop environment available, clickity click on mountable media for similar results.
leontius
To protect the computer from bootable CD, configure your BIOS to boot only from local hard disk and password-protect the BIOS. Now people must plug your hard disk or motherboard battery out to crack open your data (which is, frankly speaking, quite easy for a competent mob, so encrypt your data).
thedinh
Oh i see. When we use BootCD, it can make the hiden volume of the harddisk appearen again.
and i remember that we can hide the Volume of the harddisk with regedit command?
can we do that?
Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Fire Boar
thedinh wrote:
Oh i see. When we use BootCD, it can make the hiden volume of the harddisk appearen again.
and i remember that we can hide the Volume of the harddisk with regedit command?
can we do that?
Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Not quite. A bootable CD doesn't do anything to your current system. It's a whole other operating system in itself. It finds supported disk drives, no matter how you've configured Windows: it simply ignores Windows configuration. The registry is no exception. So absolutely nothing apart from encryption can hide a hard disk partition (drive) from a bootable CD. leonitus has a good suggestion of booting only from hard disk and password-protecting the BIOS: in that way it becomes impossible for the bootable CD to load so a hacker is forced to use Windows. That poses a slight barrier, but not a very big one if they have the right tools and can log in.

Removing the option of a bootable CD is the thing to do to prevent unauthorized access though, since it forces the hacker to find holes in Windows rather than bypass the whole thing entirely. Bootable CD + physical access = total control.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
Not quite. A bootable CD doesn't do anything to your current system.

Unless of course you go around saying "hehehehe!" and deleting every file you can find on your hard drive.
Fire Boar
Diablosblizz wrote:
Quote:
Not quite. A bootable CD doesn't do anything to your current system.

Unless of course you go around saying "hehehehe!" and deleting every file you can find on your hard drive.

Haha, well, yes, but that's not the bootable CD doing that, it's you being an idiot with said bootable CD. (Note: That's you as in whoever happens to go around saying "hehehehe!" and deleting every file you can find on your hard drive, not you or anyone else on this forum personally.) I suppose a more accurate way of putting it would have been "A bootable CD doesn't do anything to your current system without being told to".
jdelfire
Cool thing man
D5DXAX
I use folderlock to hide some folders and protect them from being shown to others

it is quite easy software too , wintweak also can hide letters but I guess it is better to hide the last drive IMO
If you have C: , D: , E: , F: , G: ....... better hide G: so anyone wont think there is still a drive that is hidden , I mean like if you hide E: Volume for example whoever see the drives list when open your MyComputer will see C: , D: , F: , G: ...... so first thing comes in mind hmmm where is E: !! ? it mus be hidden .... see what I mean Very Happy

I think if you have some important files Wink burn DVDs and hide them , this is what I do Very Happy
metalfreek
All right here is another trick to protect your files.
First go to folder option than view option. Than go to the bottom by scrolling and uncheck the option Use Simple File Shearing [Recommended]. Than right click the drive or folder which you want to lock. Go to properties and than security option. There, you will see options like Full Control, Read, Write, Modify etc. Then check on full control and than apply and OK. Now when you try to access it you will get the message ACCESS IS DENIED . To unlock again just remove the check in full control.

REMEMBER THAT THIS WILL WORK IN NTFS FILE SYSTEM ONLY.
thedinh
metalfreek wrote:
First go to folder option than view option. Than go to the bottom by scrolling and uncheck the option Use Simple File Shearing [Recommended]. Than right click the drive or folder which you want to lock. Go to properties and than security option. There, you will see options like Full Control, Read, Write, Modify etc. Then check on full control and than apply and OK. Now when you try to access it you will get the message ACCESS IS DENIED . To unlock again just remove the check in full control.

Yes. this way is very usefull.
Fire Boar
metalfreek wrote:

This method does have the same disadvantages to the original suggestion.
thedinh
I thinks there are many ways to protect our data. and if you really want to protect your file, you can file a strong software to do it.
I thinks the soft Folder lock can help you.
I have ever uesed that soft and it is there powerful to protect your file or folder or your hardisk.
do you thinks so, if you agree with me, try it now Wink
Rajiev
You can do this in Vista and Windows 7 too.

But All this HIding and stuff is effecticve against n00bs only. Like the common users of your PC at home including Your MOM, DAD, AUNTS & AUNCLES, Elder sisters (sometimes elder Brothers).

But IT will not work with your lil Brothers and probably lil Sister and your friends.

To hide a drive..

right click COMPUUTER -> click MANAGE -> Disk MANAGEMENT ->

right click the drive and CHANGE DRIVE LETTER AND PATHS ...

and remove the drive letter.
JBotAlan
Rolls eyes dramatically. You can use these "tricks" and think you are being clever, and I can come along and break into your machine either remotely (using one of the many flaws in Windows, or using social engineering) or use an Ubuntu disc or something along those lines and copy the files off your hard drive, leaving absolutely no trace whatsoever of my presence.

If you want something that is less of a diary lock (cheesy, plastic, and a show-stopper for 7-year-olds only) go download TrueCrypt. It will actually ENCRYPT your data instead of merely hiding it, and, provided you use a strong password, you can keep data private. Really, seriously private. Like, government-strength private.

All of the tricks presented on this thread have been just tricks and do not increase actual security at all.
Agent ME
JBotAlan wrote:
You can use these "tricks" and think you are being clever, and I can come along and break into your machine... If you want something that is less of a diary lock (cheesy, plastic, and a show-stopper for 7-year-olds only) go download TrueCrypt...

Took the words right out of my mouth.

This is like the "trick" of renaming a folder to a single space and giving it no icon. You can still select it, see it obviously if you switch to details view, and it shows right up from command line.

Encryption is the way to go if you need to keep data private. And if you're really paranoid, hidden volumes are the way to go if you need to keep the data's existence private too.
Rajiev
Amen to that
tukun2009manit
metalfreek wrote:
Here is a cool technique which hides entire hard disk drives by a simple procedure.

A DOS window will appear

To access the content of hidden Drive repeat the process mentioned above. But in 4th step replace " remove" by "assign".

nice trick will it work for vista and windows seven i have xp i will check it out
David_Pardy
I sincerely think this thread should be deleted due to the amount of misinformation...

This is false security.
awazdohamko2004
that was cool trick ... thanks for sharing .. can any one tell me how to update the diskpart of windows xp from ver 5x to version 6x ...
fladry
Here is another trick to hide whole drives like CD drive or Floppy drive. First of all, right click any of your drive icon in your my computer and select properties. Then click the "hardware" tab. Select the drive you want to hide and select "properties". On the general tab at the bottom, you will see a drop down list having option for device usage. You can hide or show the drives easily from here and it has no side effects. And, it doesnot work for hard disk drives and temporary drives(pen drives). So it may not be too useful but it is useful for hiding cds.
metalfreek
David_Pardy wrote:
I sincerely think this thread should be deleted due to the amount of misinformation...

This is false security.

I don't find it that misleading. We are talking about some simple technique to protect files. I am not talking about some high level encryption like FBI or CIA does. Very Happy
metalfreek
tukun2009manit wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

A DOS window will appear

nice trick will it work for vista and windows seven i have xp i will check it out

I have not tried this on Vista. But if your file system is NTFS than I think it will work.