FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

hard disk partition recovery

surdy
Today i screwed up a partition of my hard disk. I had booted the system using some kinda recovery disk.

I had to copy a file to a mounted NTFS partition (/dev/sdb1 mounted on /mnt/ntfs) . Instead of typing

Code:
cp /tmp/file.txt  /mnt/ntfs

I don't know what possessed me to type
Code:
cp /tmp/file.txt /dev/sdb1

So i obviously screwed the partition table on it partition. I tried to recover it using Partition table doctor. but it didn't help. The file file.txt was a txt file in few KBs so must not have done extensive damage to the files on disk.

Can someone recommend a recovery software to recover files from this partition

thanks
halilibo
if you are using windows at the same time you can recover your files with GetDataBack (for ntfs). i tried and recovered most of my files.

additionally, you can try a program called Recover My Files. this one recovers files too.

But i can not offer you any programs for linux. just started using. Smile

hope this could help you.
surdy
thanks halilibo
I do have windows too, i'll go ahead and try using GetDataBack. I tried Recover My Files but didn't seem to benefit much from it , but may give it another try too.
prithvi
Yes, I would also suggest using GetDataBack.

I have successfully used it earlier when my partition was corrupted, and the disk was also unreadable.
tukun
prithvi wrote:
Yes, I would also suggest using GetDataBack.

I have successfully used it earlier when my partition was corrupted, and the disk was also unreadable.

i was also stuck with this problem i will try this and see if it works for me or not i have windows os installed and not working fine