FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

all a waste of space???

icecool
Earth-Venus smash-up possible in 3.5 billion years: study

well.....
lets not quite yet rush to the stores for extra supplies.

now i do believe in science - it's a great thing to find out what has been and what possibly could come - as long as we keep our eyes in the NOW to benefit from all that research.

but to have a whole bunch of highly trained people spending gazillions to come up with statements like that:

Quote:
PARIS (AFP) A force known as orbital chaos may cause our Solar System to go haywire, leading to possible collision between Earth and Venus or Mars, according to a study released Wednesday.

The good news is that the likelihood of such a smash-up is small, around one-in-2500.

And even if the planets did careen into one another, it would not happen before another 3.5 billion years.

haven't we got enuough trouble right on our doorsteps that need sorting now?

sigh.......
sometimes i just wonder

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090610/sc_afp/scienceastronomyearthmercurymarsvenus
Nick2008
We really don't have anything to do rather than make up silly predictions, eh?

Wasn't the world supposed to end already? Laughing
deanhills
Nick2008 wrote:
We really don't have anything to do rather than make up silly predictions, eh?

Wasn't the world supposed to end already? Laughing
Quite a number of threads in the Philosophy and Religion Forum discussed 2012 as a possible cut-off date Laughing
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-100713.html#837059
ocalhoun
from the article:
Quote:

Indeed, there is a 99 percent chance that the Sun's posse of planets will continue to circle in an orderly pattern throughout the expected life span of our life-giving star, another five billion years, the study found.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
from the article:
Quote:

Indeed, there is a 99 percent chance that the Sun's posse of planets will continue to circle in an orderly pattern throughout the expected life span of our life-giving star, another five billion years, the study found.
Great! So we're at least OK from that point of view? Funny how all our daily political problems and issues pale when you start to think big and tall as the Sun and planets?
Solon_Poledourus
Of course, this is all speculation. And they fail to take into account that we will all be enslaved by our alien masters long before the planets collide or the sun burns out.

So there's always that...
ocalhoun
Basically, the only thing the article said was that we can't predict with 100% certainty that it won't happen. Just like we can't 100% certainly predict that the Earth won't be smashed by an asteroid in the next 45 seconds.

A notice from the weather station that they're only 99.9% certain that there won't be a tornado at my house tomorrow won't keep me holed up in the cellar.
Solon_Poledourus
All I know is that when I read articles like that, I think to myself, "I went into the wrong line of work".

It must be nice to get public, private, and government funding to sit around and run computer models of planetary orbits a billion years in the future. I bet those guys smoke alot of pot.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Basically, the only thing the article said was that we can't predict with 100% certainty that it won't happen. Just like we can't 100% certainly predict that the Earth won't be smashed by an asteroid in the next 45 seconds.
Ah gee .... I thought we were going to be safe for billions of years .... Laughing Ah well, I knew it was too good to be true. And yes, I've always firmly believed that an asteroid is our greatest threat as it is a very real possibility. Much more real than "alien" or other theories.
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
And yes, I've always firmly believed that an asteroid is our greatest threat as it is a very real possibility. Much more real than "alien" or other theories.
A funny scenario would be aliens conquering us tomorrow, and the aliens reading your post and saying, "you know, the only reason asteroids never wiped you out is because we kept deflecting them so that we could enslave you all..."
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
And yes, I've always firmly believed that an asteroid is our greatest threat as it is a very real possibility. Much more real than "alien" or other theories.
A funny scenario would be aliens conquering us tomorrow, and the aliens reading your post and saying, "you know, the only reason asteroids never wiped you out is because we kept deflecting them so that we could enslave you all..."
Laughing Laughing I like that, and then just after that statement the aliens rubbing mother earth between their thumb and fore finger, we had been a speck in a drop (known to us as the Universe), sitting right in the palm of their hand. Laughing
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Laughing Laughing I like that, and then just after that statement the aliens rubbing mother earth between their thumb and fore finger, we had been a speck in a drop (known to us as the Universe), sitting right in the palm of their hand. Laughing

Better yet, they planted life here in the first place, carefully and subtly molding evolution so that the planet would be 'terraformed' (xenoformed?) just the way they like it... Once we're done with global warming it'll be ready for them, right?
Solon_Poledourus
ocalhoun wrote:
Better yet, they planted life here in the first place, carefully and subtly molding evolution so that the planet would be 'terraformed' (xenoformed?) just the way they like it... Once we're done with global warming it'll be ready for them, right?
Maybe they thrive in the global warming climate, and they planned it, brilliant. I think we are at least onto a good movie script, if nothing else...
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Maybe they thrive in the global warming climate, and they planned it, brilliant. I think we are at least onto a good movie script, if nothing else...
Would be an interesting movie. It could be true though as well. Everything is possible Smile
truespeed
I think the first aliens to come to this planet will be us,at some point in the distant future man will locate and set up stall on other planets,over time and on the differing planets man will evolve in different ways,with different environmental circumstances ,and at some point perhaps they will plan a return to their origin,to see us not much changed in appearance,and them changed to the point where we don't recognize ourselves. Naturally man being man,we will end up in a planetary wars with our former selves.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
I think the first aliens to come to this planet will be us,at some point in the distant future man will locate and set up stall on other planets,over time and on the differing planets man will evolve in different ways,with different environmental circumstances ,and at some point perhaps they will plan a return to their origin,to see us not much changed in appearance,and them changed to the point where we don't recognize ourselves. Naturally man being man,we will end up in a planetary wars with our former selves.
Sounds like an even more interesting script for a great movie. I like it! Very credible, almost logical too. Smile
Solon_Poledourus
truespeed wrote:
I think the first aliens to come to this planet will be us,at some point in the distant future
Or maybe it's already happened. Maybe the UFO's and aliens people keep seeing are actually humans who used to live here on Atlantis, but left during the flood, and have periodically visited and influenced us during our "re-evolution"...
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
truespeed wrote:
I think the first aliens to come to this planet will be us,at some point in the distant future
Or maybe it's already happened. Maybe the UFO's and aliens people keep seeing are actually humans who used to live here on Atlantis, but left during the flood, and have periodically visited and influenced us during our "re-evolution"...
Right, maybe all the planets are mirror images from earth? Smile
ocalhoun
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
truespeed wrote:

The theory I like better than that one is that UFO's are actually human time travelers from the future. That they're not from a distant planet, but the distant future of our own planet.
Solon_Poledourus
ocalhoun wrote:
The theory I like better than that one is that UFO's are actually human time travelers from the future. That they're not from a distant planet, but the distant future of our own planet.
I like that one. But for some reason, I like the idea that we have been highly advanced in our distant past, and are only now getting back up to speed.
deanhills wrote:
Right, maybe all the planets are mirror images from earth?
Maybe we originated on Mars, but then it went dry, so we came to Earth.
tingkagol
I guess you guys can very well handle the jobs of the potheads who predicted the Earth-Venus smash-up.
Quote:
I like that one. But for some reason, I like the idea that we have been highly advanced in our distant past, and are only now getting back up to speed.

I like this one better. Then after predicting the world would be flooded and frozen over, our ancestors mutated themselves into the weird deep sea creatures and remain hibernated in the deepest recesses of the oceans, and will once again emerge and transform back to true form in the next natural global disaster- that would be around... 1, or 2 years from now? Christian Bale will then spearhead the human resistance against the battle for the throne of Earth's rightful stewards. Or Bruce Willis. Whichever of the two.
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
I guess you guys can very well handle the jobs of the potheads who predicted the Earth-Venus smash-up.
Quote:

I like this one better. Then after predicting the world would be flooded and frozen over, our ancestors mutated themselves into the weird deep sea creatures and remain hibernated in the deepest recesses of the oceans, and will once again emerge and transform back to true form in the next natural global disaster- that would be around... 1, or 2 years from now? Christian Bale will then spearhead the human resistance against the battle for the throne of Earth's rightful stewards. Or Bruce Willis. Whichever of the two.
Sounds interesting. I like the ocean, that would be the closest we could hope to get to Atlantis? Smile
Solon_Poledourus
tingkagol wrote:
Bruce Campbell.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
tingkagol wrote:
Bruce Campbell.
Who is he Laughing
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
Who is he Laughing
?? BLASPHEMER!!
Bruce Campbell is only the single best action hero of all time.

tingkagol
The talent is undeniable from the image alone.
ocalhoun
tingkagol wrote:
Quote:

2012 definitely ^.^
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Who is he Laughing
?? BLASPHEMER!!
Bruce Campbell is only the single best action hero of all time.

Yuck .... think I'm more for Steven Seagall or Chuck Norris. In case you don't know who they are Laughing :
http://www.chucknorris.com/html/biog.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Seagal
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
Yuck .... think I'm more for Steven Seagall or Chuck Norris. In case you don't know who they are
Obviously, you have never seen such classics as Bubba Ho-Tep, and Army of Darkness. Not to mention the new release My name is Bruce, and his supporting role on the show Burn Notice. Bruce Campbell is a comedic genius, and has a great energy about him.

Also, I will forgive you for the Steven Seagall reference, because you followed it up with Chuck Norris(praise be to Chuck). Razz
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Also, I will forgive you for the Steven Seagall reference, because you followed it up with Chuck Norris(praise be to Chuck). Razz
I know I know ...... Chuck's the real McCoy .... think the part I like about Steven Seagall is his movies. I genuinely enjoy it when he breaks people's legs, arms, necks ... just about every bone. I also like the way he fights ... sort of "cute"! I also like his music. His movies are quite well done. But fighting wise there is no doubt more substance with Chuck Norris, and perhaps much less ego too ... Smile
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
I know I know ...... Chuck's the real McCoy .... think the part I like about Steven Seagall is his movies. I genuinely enjoy it when he breaks people's legs, arms, necks ... just about every bone. I also like the way he fights ... sort of "cute"! I also like his music. His movies are quite well done. But fighting wise there is no doubt more substance with Chuck Norris, and perhaps much less ego too ...
Are you familiar with the famous Chuck Norris Facts List? This quite possibly deserves it's own thread in another area.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I know I know ...... Chuck's the real McCoy .... think the part I like about Steven Seagall is his movies. I genuinely enjoy it when he breaks people's legs, arms, necks ... just about every bone. I also like the way he fights ... sort of "cute"! I also like his music. His movies are quite well done. But fighting wise there is no doubt more substance with Chuck Norris, and perhaps much less ego too ...
Are you familiar with the famous Chuck Norris Facts List? This quite possibly deserves it's own thread in another area.
Maybe we should suggest to Bannik to make him into a deity - perhaps alternate him with Indi once for every 10 Indis? Smile Hilarious facts ... Laughing
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
Maybe we should suggest to Bannik to make him into a deity - perhaps alternate him with Indi once for every 10 Indis? Very Happy: Hilarious facts ... Laughing
Better still... Chuck Norris(praise be to Chuck) and Indi should get together, so we can worship the demi-God offspring of which is sure to born of their union. That kind of power would be... unimaginable. It would usher in a new age of half-God heroes to battle Hydras and Minotaurs... using such weapons as roundhouse kicks and pages of rhetoric.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Maybe we should suggest to Bannik to make him into a deity - perhaps alternate him with Indi once for every 10 Indis? Very Happy: Hilarious facts ... Laughing
Better still... Chuck Norris(praise be to Chuck) and Indi should get together, so we can worship the demi-God offspring of which is sure to born of their union. That kind of power would be... unimaginable. It would usher in a new age of half-God heroes to battle Hydras and Minotaurs... using such weapons as roundhouse kicks and pages of rhetoric.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Absolutely brilliant! And powerful. Think we have the beginnings here of a new religion. We may even be able to start a Bible with stories in it about Chuck and Indi .... Laughing Shocked
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Absolutely brilliant! And powerful. Think we have the beginnings here of a new religion. We may even be able to start a Bible with stories in it about Chuck and Indi .... Laughing Shocked

^.^ In the beginning, Indi said, 'let there be light', and Chuck Norris made the light... and they saw that it was good...
Solon_Poledourus
The Book of Deanhills wrote:
Absolutely brilliant! And powerful. Think we have the beginnings here of a new religion. We may even be able to start a Bible with stories in it about Chuck and Indi ....
The Book of Ocalhoun wrote:
^.^ In the beginning, Indi said, 'let there be light', and Chuck Norris made the light... and they saw that it was good...
And Chuck Norris separated the light from the dark with his presence, as both were deathly afraid of him...
ocalhoun
... hey, wait... if Indi is God... then I must be... Uh-oh.
Twisted Evil
Solon_Poledourus
ocalhoun wrote:
... hey, wait... if Indi is God... then I must be... Uh-oh.
Hey, even Judas got his own Gospel... why not the anti-Indi?
truespeed
Found this on the net.

^^^
ocalhoun
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Found this on the net.

^^^
ocalhoun
Oooooooo ..... you're in trouble mate. Laughing Laughing Laughing Where did you find this illustration .... looks like a good one for an animated story .... Smile

You know, that face does look a little like Chuck's .... Shocked
Solon_Poledourus
But he has Indi's eyes... *swoon*...
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
But he has Indi's eyes... *swoon*...
Right ... AND the ears ... definitely the ears ..... Laughing
truespeed
Where is the holy one? Is Indi on a 40 day and night internet fast.
Solon_Poledourus
This must be the 7th "yawm" and Indi is resting... *giggle*
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
This must be the 7th "yawm" and Indi is resting... *giggle*
Right .... she must be Chuckling .... Laughing
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
Found this on the net.

^^^
ocalhoun

Prospective Anti-Indi worshipers: FYI

I prefer this one:
truespeed
I thought with indi as God,your post implied that you must be the devil,and my pic looks more devil like.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
I thought with indi as God,your post implied that you must be the devil,and my pic looks more devil like.

Perhaps, yes... but I would like it known that if anybody wants to devil-worship my image, they should use that image. Just preference, really. You can color it red and black if you want, but I'd like to retain a horse's graceful lines, despite being evil. Twisted Evil
I'd prefer to be the seductive evil, rather than the terrifying evil...
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
I think I prefer Truespeed's. The lines are classic "evil". Ocalhoun's have majestic lines, like something beautiful that got some extra Dracula teeth drawn in it.

Difficult for me to think of an evil horse though. I saw the "Horse whisperer" again last night, by fluke, and that movie always has me hooked.