FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Garmin holder

Tony The Tiger
Has anyone had their Garmin winshield mount lose its suction? Mine suddenly keeps falling off of the windshield.
Tony The Tiger
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Has anyone had their Garmin winshield mount lose its suction? Mine suddenly keeps falling off of the windshield.

Garmin has again exceeded my expectations and agreed to send a replacement windshield mount. They say they are able to prove based on satellite signals when I first used my device and how much of my warranty remains. I approximate that the manufacturer's warranty lasts until December 1 and I bought an extended warranty.
Tony The Tiger
Well I have to say Garmin actually screwed up a little. They did send the replacement accessories, but they were also suppose to send me a new Garmin because the SD card slot is not reading the card in the one that I had. It seems that they did not set the order up right and were waiting for me to send my model back to them before sending me the new one even though I had given them authorization to charge my credit card for a new one until I returned the old one. My customer satisfaction level has gone down a slight notch.
ocalhoun
I've come across the same problem with a tom-tom holder.
When they get old, the suction cups just don't work.

Actually, this reminds me, I need to go buy two new holders. These new ones will be bolted on, not suction-held, so there won't be any more problems with falling GPS's. It's really not hard at all, just drill holes in the suction cup, and matching holes in the dash (or something else if you want to resell the vehicle without the GPS).
Tony The Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:
I've come across the same problem with a tom-tom holder.
When they get old, the suction cups just don't work.

Actually, this reminds me, I need to go buy two new holders. These new ones will be bolted on, not suction-held, so there won't be any more problems with falling GPS's. It's really not hard at all, just drill holes in the suction cup, and matching holes in the dash (or something else if you want to resell the vehicle without the GPS).

At first, when I read the post, I thought you were still talking about windshield mounts and drilling some kind of holes in the windshield to mount the device permanently like a rearview mirror. Bolted onto the dash? Aren't there other ways to attach it to the dash without drilling permanent holes in it. I think there are dash mounts that do not necessitate permanent alteration of the dash board. As soon as the new mount arrived the old mount stopped falling off the windshield. I wonder if cold weather affects the suction and when it warms up the suction works more effectively.