FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Geocities bite the dust - Frihost marketing opportunity?

deanhills
Looks as though Geocities will be coming to an end shortly and obviously quite a number of people who had Websites with Geocities will be scouting around for alternatives. Would this be an opportunity for Frihost to market itself a little more, either by placing a temporary ad with Google or Yahoo, or to work the search engines?

In my experience some of the Geocities Websites were really good ones, started quite a long time ago (mid to late nineties), and the authors of the old Websites may also be potentially good contributors to the Frihost forums. Cool
tingkagol
I thought it died a long time ago. Man, I remember how terrible the conditions were... no direct image linking, forced ads and frames, 20MB disk space (!) and the monthly bandwidth was abysmal. It was just terrible.
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
I thought it died a long time ago. Man, I remember how terrible the conditions were... no direct image linking, forced ads and frames, 20MB disk space (!) and the monthly bandwidth was abysmal. It was just terrible.
Absolutely. Yahoo possibly made a great mistake to neglect it and finally let go of it though. Their mistakes are however Frihost's gain in a way. Smile
Vladalf
I actually don't think many people from geocities would put an effort to actually make a webpage and upload it here (They being used to a drag and drop interface).
Vlad
Bondings
I've been thinking about it too. However, most of the time, those people don't know enough about hosting, php and the like which we have at Frihost. They also don't want to post, I guess. They simply want some space to put html files or simply with an online editor.
deanhills
Vladalf wrote:
I actually don't think many people from geocities would put an effort to actually make a webpage and upload it here (They being used to a drag and drop interface).
Vlad
I doubt the motivation to join Geocities has been easy Website design, in fact, for me and quite a number of people the online design was a limitation and a headache. At the time I did not know about Frihost, and Frihost is not as advertised as Geocities were. That was a number of years ago. Some people are lazy though and stick with what they have created being creatures of habit. And now have to make alternative arrangements. I have a feeling that they most probably will go for a .com, just to make sure they never have to change again.
Vladalf
I have started using a software to actually download whole websites from geocities. There are some valuable information and I wouldn't want to loose if it dosen't come back on any other website. Eh, it's like the end of an era, geocities has been up for a while.
Vlad
Vrythramax
Bondings wrote:
I've been thinking about it too. However, most of the time, those people don't know enough about hosting, php and the like which we have at Frihost. They also don't want to post, I guess. They simply want some space to put html files or simply with an online editor.

The online editing part was the first thing that crossed my mind also. Frihost is an excellent Web Host...but a free account here assumes you already know at least a little about working with your webspace...without all the automatic features (plugins sort to speak) that can be added to your site. We do have a number of "automatic" features (PERL modules, SSI, etc.) but even those require a certain degree of knowledge to work with.

I would imagine the cost of setting something like that up for use on (no offense Bondings) a small scale would be prohibitive. At the very least we all would be seeing a lot more ads on our (forum) pages, and ad free hosting may be lost.
snowboardalliance
Vrythramax wrote:
Bondings wrote:

The online editing part was the first thing that crossed my mind also. Frihost is an excellent Web Host...but a free account here assumes you already know at least a little about working with your webspace...without all the automatic features (plugins sort to speak) that can be added to your site. We do have a number of "automatic" features (PERL modules, SSI, etc.) but even those require a certain degree of knowledge to work with.

I would imagine the cost of setting something like that up for use on (no offense Bondings) a small scale would be prohibitive. At the very least we all would be seeing a lot more ads on our (forum) pages, and ad free hosting may be lost.

Or the extra ads could go on the users that want to use the cheap geocities like pages. Just a thought, though I don't know how valuable it is to even tap into that market. People who are willing to learn how to make a website (or download wordpress or phpbb or something), contribute more to the community than those who know nothing and don't want to learn. Just a thought.
Vrythramax
snowboardalliance wrote:
... People who are willing to learn how to make a website (or download wordpress or phpbb or something), contribute more to the community than those who know nothing and don't want to learn. Just a thought.

Absolutly! Users who know how to work with the technologies available here at Frihost can indeed contribute much to the community at large IF they are willing to share their knowledge with others in a positive manner.

Inexperienced Users can also contribute much to the community by keeping topics lively in a positive way by simply asking questions (in the appropriate forums of course) and sharing what they have learned with others.

This Public Service Announcement brought to you curtesy of massive caffiene induction. Laughing