FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the max memory allowed for XP?

shenyl
I have a physical memory of 4GB, but XP System Info only set available to around 2-3GB.

Is there a limit of max memory for XP OS?

This causes some confusion, as I tried to install Virtual PC on XP to run various enviroments.

I have installed Win7 and yet to find out what is the limit it can take.

Information is much appreciated.
soljarag
Windows XP 32 Bit can use like 3.5 I think ..

But Windows XP 64 Bit can have a whole lot more.... like 64 GB or something...

I have WinXP 64 bit and 8 GB

----

It should be the same with Windows 7... make sure you get the 64 Bit version if you want more than 3.5 GB of ram
Maserman
Every Windows 32-bit will see only 2.5-3.5 GB of ram. Like someone said, 32 bit architecture is a bit old one, but the 64-bit one isn't so common yet.

By the way, my Windows 7 32-bit sees 4.00 GB of RAM, but it says "3.00 GB usable".
Diablosblizz
I believe Windows can use up to 128 GB of RAM, with 15TB of "Virtual" RAM. Yes, I said Terabytes.
LostOverThere
From what I understand, 32-Bit Windows XP can use 3.5GB of ram, however applications can use more. So just because you have 4GB of ram, doesn't mean half a gig will be going to waste.
ThePolemistis
shenyl wrote:
I have a physical memory of 4GB, but XP System Info only set available to around 2-3GB.

This causes some confusion, as I tried to install Virtual PC on XP to run various enviroments.

It is allowed a max of 4gb in 32 bit versions of XP.

If you have 4gb of ram, this does not mean xp will see it all. VRAM is given priority. So if u have a 512mb gfx card, that would be deducted from the 4gb first. so in actual u would probably see 3-3.5 gb ram.
myviny
Is there any such limit on hard disk as well??
Fire Boar
ThePolemistis wrote:
shenyl wrote:

It is allowed a max of 4gb in 32 bit versions of XP.

If you have 4gb of ram, this does not mean xp will see it all. VRAM is given priority. So if u have a 512mb gfx card, that would be deducted from the 4gb first. so in actual u would probably see 3-3.5 gb ram.

This is the only totally accurate answer so far. Diablosblizz, I suggest you find a citation for your claim or learn how memory addressing works.
Diablosblizz
http://portal.lacaterinca.com/pushing-the-limits-of-windows-virtual-memory/

Scroll to the very bottom.

Quote:
32-bit Windows has a maximum paging file size of 16TB (4GB if you for some reason run in non-PAE mode) and 64-bit Windows supports paging files that are up to 16TB in size on x64 and 32TB on IA64. For all versions, Windows can run with up to 16 paging files, where each must be on a separate volume.
Fire Boar
Diablosblizz wrote:
http://portal.lacaterinca.com/pushing-the-limits-of-windows-virtual-memory/

Scroll to the very bottom.

Quote:
32-bit Windows has a maximum paging file size of 16TB (4GB if you for some reason run in non-PAE mode) and 64-bit Windows supports paging files that are up to 16TB in size on x64 and 32TB on IA64. For all versions, Windows can run with up to 16 paging files, where each must be on a separate volume.

I swear that post originally said 128 MB of RAM, not 128 GB. Looks like you've edited the post since then, so with that typo corrected you're mostly correct. It just looked like you meant 128 MB without PAE, and 16 TB with PAE. Both of which are ridiculous figures.

Now that's cleared up, yes, with PAE (Physical Address Extension) support 128 GB is the Windows limit, but Windows Vista is the earliest personal version that supports it - XP uses standard addressing which is limited to 4 GB on a 32-bit processor, which is what the OP is interested in.

Virtual RAM, however, isn't RAM at all. It's a pagefile (Windows terminology), or swap space (Linux terminology), and resides on the hard disk. It's incredibly slow (just like the hard disk is slow), and is only used when the computer physically runs out of memory: it takes a page of the RAM that is unused and swaps it with a page of empty memory on the hard disk page file.
Diablosblizz
Indeed I did change the 128 MB to 128 GB. Sorry about that, didn't proof read. Razz Dumb mistake on my part.

I'm aware of the pagefile, and yeah it's super slow, but the 16TB is just unbelievable so I had to say something.
joostvane
myviny wrote:
Is there any such limit on hard disk as well??

I don't think so. You can connect as much as your motherboard can handle I think, it will keep listing them and make u able to use them. It will take more time to boot up tough.
ProfessorY91
LostOverThere wrote:
From what I understand, 32-Bit Windows XP can use 3.5GB of ram, however applications can use more. So just because you have 4GB of ram, doesn't mean half a gig will be going to waste.

One thing changes if the user steps up to Vista. If said person is running Windows Vista, they would be better off with the full 4GB of RAM. Now, 32-bit Vista only recognizes ~3097MB of RAM... a rule of thumb is that you need 2GB to make Vista run smoothly. Because 3GB is being shared between applications and the memory-hungry Vista, the computer slows down.

Use 64-bit Vista with 4GB of RAM for best performance.

It is also important to note that Windows 7 utilizes less memory than Vista, but still a significant amount. If you're not planning to strip down Windows 7, I recommend going 64-bit (if you have that capability/hardware).

Y.