FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any insider view of Chevy?

shenyl
I own a Chevy Optra, and it is doing fine, except for higher fuel consumption.

Now with GM in Chap 11, any insider view on GM and Chevy?

Much appreciated, as I am considering what to do with my car.
ocalhoun
1: Why would you buy a car like that from Chevy? Chevy makes some very nice trucks, but their other vehicles are mostly lackluster and likely to be prone to mechanical problems.

2: Why would you need to do anything differently with it now? I think I heard that warranties will still be honored, if you have one.

(Personally, to me, being so dependent upon any company is abominable, I own a chevy truck, but I'm not dependent in any way to GM; they could do whatever they want and it wouldn't effect me.)
BigGeek
ocalhoun, you sure can tell you are in the military Very Happy You have that hardass attitude I love!

That aside, shenyl here os a link to Wikipedia about chapter 11 bankruptcy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapter_11,_Title_11,_United_States_Code

Chevy isn't out, or gone, I doubt they ever will be, they are just reorganizing their business, as their debts exceed their assests. They will honor your warrenty if you have one, and they will continue to manufacture parts for your car. Thing is, as your car gets older there will be a host of manufacturers and remanufacturers that will be making replacement parts for it, so there will be repair options available to you.

I don't know how long you've owned the car, how long you plan to own it, but parts are usually available for repair for well over 10 years after the car was first manufactured. In the case of trucks and other heavier or collectable cars they are produced for decades. I imagine that the Optra being a fairly lack luster economy car will have a limited life on parts, but as long as you don't plan on owning it for 25 years you should be OK.

Now as far as getting a dealership to honor and pay for warrenty repairs, you know, here in the US, they have always had a bad reputation for squirming their way out of it as often as possible, but that has never had any thing to do with the solvency of GM in general.

On another note....ocalhoun, have you seen the price of the new Camaro's, they were asking 60K for them when they first came out, now they are down to 35 to 37K.....I have only purchesed one new car in my entire life, and that was over 20 years ago, I always buy used, much better deal, as I'm sure you are aware, but seeing the price on the new cars in our economy these days, it is getting me to reconsider.......ah naw, I'm still to cheap, those Camaros used in a few years will be down around the 20K price. Maybe then Laughing
ocalhoun
BigGeek wrote:
those Camaros used in a few years will be down around the 20K price. Maybe then Laughing

For now, try this instead ^.^
ebay link

Current bid: $6,100
Buy it now: $13,000
shenyl
Thanks for the clarification of chap 11, as I am not in USA.

Also for the availability of parts - I am still hopeful for 3rd parties to manufacture spare parts, but up till now - there are very few spare parts - except for brake pads and air filters.

I am still stuck with parts from GM distribution centre in Singapore.

Well it was re-assuring, as I cannot keep the car past 10 years, as the rules in Singapore do not cheaply permits that.

Singapore has a system, where you bid for a piece of paper called Car Ownership Entitlement (COE) - to buy a new car for a duration of 10 years. After that the COE expires and you have to either pay for another COE of 5 years or 10 years to keep the car past the 10 year mark.
Current price for the paper COE is around USD 11,000 (not including car registeration tax, and the cost of the car).

This is usually not used, as such, cars are scraped when they reach 10 years.

With that - I would not keep the Optra past 10 years.

Thanks for your info, and I will probably keep it for another 2 years.
ocalhoun
shenyl wrote:

Singapore has a system, where you bid for a piece of paper called Car Ownership Entitlement (COE) - to buy a new car for a duration of 10 years. After that the COE expires and you have to either pay for another COE of 5 years or 10 years to keep the car past the 10 year mark.
Current price for the paper COE is around USD 11,000 (not including car registeration tax, and the cost of the car).

This is usually not used, as such, cars are scraped when they reach 10 years.

What a wonderful system they devised! Instead of automakers having to design cars to die at 10 years, the government just forces people to buy new cars after 10 years... saves automakers a lot of time, I'm sure.

I suppose they also make it very difficult to sell the car internationally when it's 9 years and 10 months old?
shenyl
By virtual of the Paper (COE) lost - the amount you bid to secure the right to buy a car, will be zero if you export the car. This ensures that no cars are exported older than 3 years old.

Singapore governing party is absolutely brilliant in plugging any loop holes in their system.

If I will go on, I guess I can write a book on it. Just kidding - I have no intention of writing a book on these.

With regards.
BigGeek
Been away for a while, sorry I haven't gotten back here!

WOW that is screwed up, man if the US tried to pull any crap like that the car collectors and hot rodders would go balistic, plus the auctions like Barret Jackson would go out of business, I can't imagine forcing folks to scrap their cars in 10 years, especially the rich collectrors. Jay Leno would be screwed along with quite a few others like him.

Hell when I worked at the hot rod shop, the owner would obtain titles for say a 1934 ford, and we would stampt the VIN into the frame and mount a shop made plate with it on it, in the dash of Fiberglass new cars, this made it possible to build anything into the car and not have to conform to emissions standards for new cars. The way we looked at it was the title was just another part along with the VIN.

With all the old muscle cars from the 60's we built, as well as original cars from the 30's and 50's we hot rodded out, and the business it creates for parts, and electrical componenets, laws like that would never fly in the US, it would put huge number of people out of business. Not to mention how it would affect Chevy, Ford, and Chrysler, and the HUGE volume of crate engines and transmissions that are sold by them for the same purposes, along with racing.
BigGeek
Ocalhoun,

What is that a Boxster?

8 years old, I don't know the book value, but 86,000 miles for that age isn't too bad.

13K man that is a good price, what do they go for new? Porsche's website says 46K, see Used IS ALWAYS BETTER Very Happy
ocalhoun
BigGeek wrote:
Ocalhoun,

What is that a Boxster?

I dunno...
I just looked on ebay quickly to find a nice sports car for much, much less than a new camero.
I would expect that anybody looking to actually buy one would put a LOT more thought into the selection.

But I did already know where to look... used porsches offer a lot of 'bang' for your buck in that category. You can get a real head-turning, fun-to-drive sports car for a surprisingly affordable price that way.