FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's happened to Secretary Hillary Clinton?

deanhills
I have just read an opinion by Thomas Friedman of the New York Times on Secretary Clinton, and wonder what has happened to this lady. She has sort of vanished off the international radar screen, Obama seems to be doing her job hopping from one country in the Middle East to another. Right in the beginning after she got annointed, we saw her on a world trip introducing herself to a few countries, then a little exposure with Mexico and then totally domestic US.

This is a shortcut to Thomas Friedman's article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/opinion/07friedman.html
He sees a big role for he, so hopefully she has read his opinion:
Quote:
The follow-up to the president’s speech will have to be led by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. This will be her first big test, and, for me, there is no question as to where she should be putting all her energy: on the peace process.

No, not that peace process — not the one between Israelis and Palestinians. That one’s probably beyond diplomacy. No, I’m talking about the peace process that is much more strategically important — the one inside Iraq.

The most valuable thing that Mrs. Clinton could do right now is to spearhead a sustained effort — along with the U.N., the European Union and Iraq’s neighbors — to resolve the lingering disputes between Iraqi factions before we complete our withdrawal. (We’ll be out of Iraq’s cities by June 30 and the whole country by the close of 2011.)

Why? Because if Iraq unravels as we draw down, the Obama team will be blamed, and it will be a huge mess. By contrast, if a decent and stable political order can take hold in Iraq, it could have an extremely positive impact on the future of the Arab world and on America’s reputation.

I have never bought the argument that Iraq was the bad war, Afghanistan the good war and Pakistan the necessary war. Folks, they’re all one war with different fronts. It’s a war within the Arab-Muslim world between progressive and anti-modernist forces over how this faith community is going to adapt to modernity — modern education, consensual politics, the balance between religion and state and the rights of women. Any decent outcome in Iraq would bolster all the progressive forces by creating an example of something that does not exist in the Middle East today — an independent, democratizing Arab-Muslim state.

Voodoocat
She definately seems ineffective, to say the least. As Secretary of State, Mrs. Clinton should be spearheading our diplomatic response to the various threats to America. Threats like North Korea kidnapping and then sentencing two American journalists to years of hard labor then promising that it would use nuclear weapons in a "merciless offensive" if provoked.

What is Mrs. Clinton's response to North Korea's threats? While on ABC's "This Week With George Stephanopoulos" whe was asked whether North Korea will be relabelled a terrorst state. Her response:
Quote:
"We're going to look at it,"
followed by:
Quote:
"We take it very seriously,"

I'm sure that such bold, strong actions are sure to convince North Korea to stop threatening their neighbors with nuclear attack.

You go girl!

Source:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/06/07/2009-06-07_secretary_of_state_hilary_clinton_.html#ixzz0I1xyVdPU&D
deanhills
Voodoocat wrote:
She definately seems ineffective, to say the least. As Secretary of State, Mrs. Clinton should be spearheading our diplomatic response to the various threats to America. Threats like North Korea kidnapping and then sentencing two American journalists to years of hard labor then promising that it would use nuclear weapons in a "merciless offensive" if provoked.

What is Mrs. Clinton's response to North Korea's threats? While on ABC's "This Week With George Stephanopoulos" whe was asked whether North Korea will be relabelled a terrorst state. Her response:
Quote:
followed by:
Quote:

I'm sure that such bold, strong actions are sure to convince North Korea to stop threatening their neighbors with nuclear attack.

You go girl!

Source:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/06/07/2009-06-07_secretary_of_state_hilary_clinton_.html#ixzz0I1xyVdPU&D
Exactly. Her first 100 days have not been very meaningful in terms of her job description, which I thought would have been to be out on the road, and at the very minimum in Obama's party when he was in Cairo.
Nick2008
Quote:

Look at what, exactly? Nuclear missiles have been around for decades... there's nothing to "look at" here.

Quote:

Of course you should be taking it seriously, but if you really meant it, you would be taking some sort of action right now.

As the top diplomat of the United States, and the many difficult situations around the world right now, she should be taking action.