FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Gypsies fleeing Europe as Neo-Nazism on the rise





handfleisch
A major journalist in the Czech Republic has announced she is seeking political asylum in Canada due to fears for her family due to their Roma ethnicity. The Czech Republic is a very western oriented (Prague is west of Vienna) and wealthy country with a Democratic political system which currently holds the presidency of the EU. Ignore the poor translation because this article gives a good glimpse of the truth.

http://praguemonitor.com/2009/06/08/roma-family-repeatedly-attacked-fleeing-canada

Quote:
Prague, June 7 (CTK) - The husband, son and daughter of Anna Polakova, chief editor of the public Czech Radio (CRo) Romany broadcasting who has applied for asylum in Canada, were targets of verbal and physical attacks in the past years, Polakova told CRo Sunday.

Polakova said she had decided for the step for fear for her children and growing neo-Nazism in the Czech Republic. She said she had gone overseas as a similar situation was throughout Europe.

She said her son had been attacked a couple of years ago when he was returning from a disco in Prague.

He was assaulted by four skinheads who brutally kicked him up, Polakova said.
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
A major journalist in the Czech Republic has announced she is seeking political asylum in Canada due to fears for her family due to their Roma ethnicity. The Czech Republic is a very western oriented (Prague is west of Vienna) and wealthy country with a Democratic political system which currently holds the presidency of the EU. Ignore the poor translation because this article gives a good glimpse of the truth.

http://praguemonitor.com/2009/06/08/roma-family-repeatedly-attacked-fleeing-canada

Quote:
Prague, June 7 (CTK) - The husband, son and daughter of Anna Polakova, chief editor of the public Czech Radio (CRo) Romany broadcasting who has applied for asylum in Canada, were targets of verbal and physical attacks in the past years, Polakova told CRo Sunday.

Polakova said she had decided for the step for fear for her children and growing neo-Nazism in the Czech Republic. She said she had gone overseas as a similar situation was throughout Europe.

She said her son had been attacked a couple of years ago when he was returning from a disco in Prague.

He was assaulted by four skinheads who brutally kicked him up, Polakova said.
Why Canada? Difficult to believe that there is not a single country in the EU that could accommodate her and her son? Interesting case however.
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
Why Canada? Difficult to believe that there is not a single country in the EU that could accommodate her and her son?
I believe she gave a reason for that:
Anna Polakova wrote:
She said she had gone overseas as a similar situation was throughout Europe.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Why Canada? Difficult to believe that there is not a single country in the EU that could accommodate her and her son?
I believe she gave a reason for that:
Anna Polakova wrote:
She said she had gone overseas as a similar situation was throughout Europe.
I got that the first time round. I have a problem with her statement "a similar situation was throughout Europe". I can't believe that there is not a single country in the EU that was safe for her to live in. Can you see her and her son being persecuted in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, UK, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria, Switzerland .... ?
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
I got that the first time round. I have a problem with her statement "a similar situation was throughout Europe". I can't believe that there is not a single country in the EU that was safe for her to live in. Can you see her and her son being persecuted in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, UK, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria, Switzerland .... ?
My take on it is that she probably sees it as a growing trend in Europe, and she thinks it might eventually spread all over the continent. Maybe a bit paranoid, but at least she is trying to care for the safety of her kids.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I got that the first time round. I have a problem with her statement "a similar situation was throughout Europe". I can't believe that there is not a single country in the EU that was safe for her to live in. Can you see her and her son being persecuted in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, UK, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria, Switzerland .... ?
My take on it is that she probably sees it as a growing trend in Europe, and she thinks it might eventually spread all over the continent. Maybe a bit paranoid, but at least she is trying to care for the safety of her kids.
Perhaps it has to do with the cost of living, which in Canada would be much less than in Europe. Or perhaps she has a support group in Canada. But yes, Canada is probably also a country in comparison that feels safe from racism. A good choice, but whether her grounds for immigration to Canada will be approved by Canada will be interesting. Hopefully she has good legal advice and did it as a result of legal advice. Who knows, maybe there is a World Organization who has already made arrangements and it is only a matter of rubber stamping.
handfleisch
deanhills wrote:
Perhaps it has to do with the cost of living, which in Canada would be much less than in Europe. Or perhaps she has a support group in Canada. But yes, Canada is probably also a country in comparison that feels safe from racism. A good choice, but whether her grounds for immigration to Canada will be approved by Canada will be interesting. Hopefully she has good legal advice and did it as a result of legal advice. Who knows, maybe there is a World Organization who has already made arrangements and it is only a matter of rubber stamping.


I know you don't mean to be ugly in your wandering thoughts, but this woman has a good, important and respected job in her own country. She is not an economic refugee, she is fleeing persecution. Her family has been attacked and harassed repeatedly by fascist neo-Nazi types and their collaborators. I don't think you would accuse Jews in the 1930s leaving Germany of being motivated by economics, so why do it now.

On edit, more details:

http://romove.radio.cz/en/article/22483

Quote:
Many people say: “Well, if you went to Britain you could not request political asylum because it is an EU Member State, and here in Canada you can request it, you will get welfare and someone else will take care of you.” What would you say to that argument?

I wanted to go as far away as possible in order to protect my children. I have had the experiences I have had. The other thing is that it was very hard for us to go to Canada, because no one in my family has ever been on welfare. I have always been employed, and our aim has always been to give the children an education. My son Marek is a college student, and I have been studying at college myself, at Masaryk University, and now I have interrupted my studies by leaving. My daughter has graduated from high school and had the opportunity to study at the American university here. She was one of the hot candidates for a scholarship at that university, which is open to supporting Roma students in the Czech Republic. I have interrupted all of that, and it is clear to me that it will be terribly difficult to work my way back up to something like that here.
------------------
"Our family faced physical attacks by neo-Nazis, so we decided to leave for Canada," explains Anna Poláková, head of the Roma broadcasting section of Czech Radio. Skinheads attacked her son several years ago and, even though they were sentenced for it, continued to threaten her family.

"I believe it would have been naive to risk further attacks and another court case, not to mention that when one knows what the situation is like one must really consider where to work, whether to stay, whether to carry on as one has, being aware that one is risking the life of one's children or someone else in the family. That is what it is like! Just consider, that during the past 20 years, more than 30 Roma have died this way. Once I know that, precisely because I do this work and I am aware of what is going on, then I have to consider the situation. Protecting my family won in the end, exactly because of the experiences I have had," Poláková emphasized. She and her entire family requested asylum in Canada this week.

Anna Poláková recording an interview with Kumar Vishwanathan (Photo: Jana Šustová) Her son Marek, who was attacked by skinheads several years ago, does not trust the Czech authorities anymore, because the attacks continued: "I trust no one in the Czech Republic anymore. It happened to me so many times that the guys and I were in a bar and the Czechs yelled at us 'Get out of here you gypsies!' When the cops came, they just yelled at us some more, sent us home, and did nothing about it."

What made you decide to leave for Canada?

My experiences, the growth of neo-Nazism, the support of a large part of society for what is happening today, the frequent attacks on my family, and fear for my family

Your son Marek was attacked several years ago, can you tell us what happened?

Marek was leaving a discotheque when he was attacked at the Palmovka metro station by four skinheads who were kicking him, and his life was saved by a police patrol that happened to drive by and see it. The attackers ran off and my son was lying there unconscious. They took him to the hospital and later I found out he was there. There was a court case and all the attackers were found guilty. They received conditional sentences with the justification that they were young people whom such a light sentence would set on the right path - the authorities did not want to criminalise them. The paradox is that these people continue their activities. Four years after the attack on my son, I saw one of the attackers at the National Party demonstration at Lety, when their chair, Edelmannová, was setting up their counter-memorial there, and I warned the media that he was there. He was carrying a National Party sign, so I pointed him out to the media. These people have not been set on the right path at all, they are continuing their activities.


Please read the entire interview at http://romove.radio.cz/en/article/22483
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
I know you don't mean to be ugly in your wandering thoughts, but this woman has a good, important and respected job in her own country. She is not an economic refugee, she is fleeing persecution. Her family has been attacked and harassed repeatedly by fascist neo-Nazi types and their collaborators. I don't think you would accuse Jews in the 1930s leaving Germany of being motivated by economics, so why do it now.
You're right about me not being mean or ugly. "Puzzled" would be a good description of how I look at it. I also read that she had an important and respected job in her own country. And if that is true, why did she have to emigrate in the category of someone who is being persecuted? She could have gone straight for emigration to Canada on her own professional merit, and she would have been able to bring her family with her.

That is why I was "rambling on" in puzzlement that perhaps by emigrating to Canada on the basis of persecution, this is trying to make a point via an organization which is working for the gypsies. Maybe she is going to get sponsorship from a specialist group which is campaigning for the gypsies. Which of course is a good thing, but not openly said. We have to try and figure it out ourselves.

It is almost impossible for someone from the outside to apply for a Green Card in the United States, but it is much easier to apply for Canadian citizenship as the process is much more open. You can even test your qualifications on their Immigration Website and do your application on your own. It is very simple, completely uncomplicated and open and one does not really need a lawyer unless you want to contest point of law.
Vrythramax
Is Canada actually free of neo-nazis? "Neo" means "new", so antyhig aside from the original national socialists could be considered new...and I really thought there some form of "nazism" (naziism?) everywhere since it is racially (it's not just for political reasons anymore, not that it was terribly political to start with) motivated, and there are certainly racists all over the world.
handfleisch
Vrythramax wrote:
Is Canada actually free of neo-nazis? "Neo" means "new", so antyhig aside from the original national socialists could be considered new...and I really thought there some form of "nazism" (naziism?) everywhere since it is racially (it's not just for political reasons anymore, not that it was terribly political to start with) motivated, and there are certainly racists all over the world.


Good question. Yes there are racists everywhere, and there might be small groups of violent racist fascists in Canada somewhere, but not at all to the extent that there are in (for example) parts of Czech Republic making life treacherous for anyone who stands out as an ethnic minority.
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
Is Canada actually free of neo-nazis? "Neo" means "new", so antyhig aside from the original national socialists could be considered new...and I really thought there some form of "nazism" (naziism?) everywhere since it is racially (it's not just for political reasons anymore, not that it was terribly political to start with) motivated, and there are certainly racists all over the world.


Good question. Yes there are racists everywhere, and there might be small groups of violent racist fascists in Canada somewhere, but not at all to the extent that there are in (for example) parts of Czech Republic making life treacherous for anyone who stands out as an ethnic minority.
I agree with Handfleish. But they won't be able to survive for long as when they have run-ins with the Mounties or any other Government Dept. they will be seriously in breach of the law. In general racism as well as discrimination against sex, age and creed are not well tolerated.

Most of the extreme political activist happenings seem to be in Quebec Laughing hence why it is probably the most lively and interesting Provinces in Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism_in_Canada

The Hell's Angels in Montreal are in particular very lively, they're not to be messed around with.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/04/16/operation-sharqc-hellsangels-0416.html?ref=rss
peaceupnorth
There's actually quite a bit of racism in Canada, although it isn't specifically directed at gypsies.

We have a lot of it towards "first nations" (aboriginal) people, french canadians (and english speakers when in quebec), asians esp East indian/pakistani. But then again... canada's big cities are really multi racial and people coexist pretty well. In more isolated and backwards areas it is more noticeable, or if you're a foreign teenager in a mostly white high school you might have a hard time at times.

It's still probably better than a lot of places in the world I guess...
deanhills
peaceupnorth wrote:
It's still probably better than a lot of places in the world I guess...
Definitely. But agreed. There is discrimination, but most of it hidden as well. As it is against the law in Canada and very clearly prohibited.
handfleisch
peaceupnorth wrote:
There's actually quite a bit of racism in Canada, although it isn't specifically directed at gypsies.

We have a lot of it towards "first nations" (aboriginal) people, french canadians (and english speakers when in quebec), asians esp East indian/pakistani. But then again... canada's big cities are really multi racial and people coexist pretty well. In more isolated and backwards areas it is more noticeable, or if you're a foreign teenager in a mostly white high school you might have a hard time at times.

It's still probably better than a lot of places in the world I guess...


I would think the type of racism in Canada cannot be as bad as the type in Czechia. In Czech Republic, a gypsy cannot apply for even the lowest level of job, except maybe ditch digger, without his or her race being an issue. I have heard that gypsie who immigrate to Canada are shocked when they don't get ugly looks constantly and when they apply for some position, that they get the reaction "Can you do the job?" and not "What are you doing here?"

Would you say this is accurate in terms of Canada, that for most things, a person who looks, say, something like a Mexican or even like someone who has a Mexican mother and a British father (the gypsies of Czechia are not really dark-skinned) -- would this person rate a double take in a job interview in Canada?
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
Would you say this is accurate in terms of Canada, that for most things, a person who looks, say, something like a Mexican or even like someone who has a Mexican mother and a British father (the gypsies of Czechia are not really dark-skinned) -- would this person rate a double take in a job interview in Canada?
If there were discrimination in Canada for this kind of thing, it would be much less, but also much more subtle and indirect. Employment agencies, or employers cannot openly decline the application as it is against the law in Canada to do so. For example, if an employment agency should submit an application on behalf of a Gypsy that they think have good qualifications for the position, then the employer cannot say that he/she does not want a Gypsy, they can however find other excuses like either asking to see other applicants or picking on someting legitimate that they thought they needed and cannot be provided by the Gypsy. So strictly speaking you would never know if you have been discriminated against, as it is against the law and no one would ever come out openly about this.

Also, employers in Canada very seldom do double takes with any candidate. They are much milder in their responses. Depending which category of job this is, i.e. if it is of the kind that is specialist and the Gypsy has specialist knowledge, then obviously this Gypsy would get preferential treatment, but for most positions in Canada there are large numbers of people who are equally qualified for the position and employers can pick and choose. They obviously would then choose someone who they think would be the best fit. But "no" there would never be a case of "what are you doing here", as that would be against the law, and also Canadians are much less spontaneous in their reponses, they would be nice and kind and indirect. You won't really know for sure.
LimpFish
Gypsies for sure are not being persecuted here in Sweden... but to be honest, they cause a lot of problems... it seems to be in their culture to steal or something, because they steal stuff, a LOT of stuff.. and unfortunately that is not me exaggerating. i have several friends who are police officers, and they tell me how they catch a LOT of gypsies stealing stuff. especially since they are such a small part of the population it is really standing out... apparently they a lot of times have pockets inside their huge skirts that the ladies always wear, where they put the goods they wanna steal and then walk out...
deanhills
LimpFish wrote:
Gypsies for sure are not being persecuted here in Sweden... but to be honest, they cause a lot of problems... it seems to be in their culture to steal or something, because they steal stuff, a LOT of stuff.. and unfortunately that is not me exaggerating. i have several friends who are police officers, and they tell me how they catch a LOT of gypsies stealing stuff. especially since they are such a small part of the population it is really standing out... apparently they a lot of times have pockets inside their huge skirts that the ladies always wear, where they put the goods they wanna steal and then walk out...
I'm not much for trying to look for psychological reasons, as things just are the way they are. I can imagine however if you have a sense of not belonging anywhere, you're not part of the establishment, you don't pay taxes, your children don't go to school on a fixed and regular basis, and you are dirt poor, with no one really caring either, then crime has to be an easy solution, especially when it is a learned behaviour. Probably starts with little things, and learning from big brothers and parents, and then going down generations as a way of surviving. Sort of self-perpetuating. Sounds pretty much like a "lost people". I guess however that it is up to them to sort it out too. I can imagine there has to be gypsies who have already figured that out for themselves, and are moving on with their lives, trying to become part of a regular establishment and asking society to give them a chance, and luckily there are some who do.
Related topics
Op. or admin help needed for a minute or two
Europeans and Americans, your thoughts on "Eurabia"
F. Nietzsche
NAZIS
My Religious Rant
Dangerous Ideas
Megaman Phoenix
The rise of new NS Ideology's
Holocaust Memorial Day Jan.27: Remember the Roma (Gypsies)
Aung San Suu Kyi on Trial
We voted Nazi?
Tiller murder: FOX's O'Reilly responsible for the hate
Climate always has been changing ...
Serious threat, Neo-nazism on the rise in Sweden.
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Discuss World News

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.