FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is this possible?

ravikanth
Hello,
Can we connect a laptop to a CPU and uses laptop screen as the monitor for CPU? I want to take my CPUs but I dont want carry the monitors and keyboards if possible. Therefore I want to use the keyboard and screen of my laptop as input and output devices of another cpu. Thank you

Ravikanth
Flakky
It's either impossible or very hard to do. Input and output is connected to a motherboard so if you want to take your CPU with you you'll have to open up your laptop, remove the CPU from the motherboard. It's totally useless so why do you want to do this, can you describe it with more detail?
ravikanth
Hello Flakky,
You seem to be having answers to all my questions Smile. By the way I am participating in a competition in Puerto Rico in this july(Internation Aerial Robotics Competition). We are using a couple of cpus for the ground station processing. I just want to reduce our load. Since we need our laptops anyway we are looking into this option of operating it through the laptop. I guess remote desktop might work but I am not sure. Any ideas?

Ravikanth
albuferque
Most of the monitoring that you need can be done with MRTG
MRTG is being used to graph all sorts of network devices as well as everything else from weather data to vending machines.What's more important MRTG is free software Smile

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
Pepperfan
ravikanth,

It is possible. You will need to do a little ground work though.

You will need to install Logmein, http://logmein.com, on both systems under one account. There is a free version.

Then on location you will need both systems networked and on the internet.

From there it is easy.

Charles
ravikanth
@albuferque- Thank you for your information. The software seems to be one which is used for monitoring. Is it useful for gaining complete control like it happens in remote desktop?

@charles- The link does not seem to work. any ideas?
Pepperfan
Yes, It is essentially remote desktop. But I like it better because it uses 256bit encryption and it is easier to connect to a remote computer.

Charles
Flakky
@ravikanth: Sounds very interesting. I wish you well on your project Smile To make the link work that Pepperfan wrote you have to remove the ,/ on the end. He accidentally misplaced a , there. http://www.logmein.com/
Pepperfan
thanks Flakky,

I forget sometimes that forum software is not as advanced as word. Smile

Charles
mshafiq
Use VNC server/Client instead of Logmein if the use is in a local environment. As to use logmein may need internet connected to the world (their server).

It is free easy to use.

you may please consult http://www.tightvnc.com/

You may even make them portable.

-- Thanks
Pepperfan
mshafiq,

That is a good point.

But I still use it because I do trust logmein.com. Having the software client that hooks up to their servers allows me to attach to remote computers with out having to creating a route through their firewall.

Charles
mshafiq
Hi Pepperfan

Good Afternoon

In this regard, using logmein is really ideal and I have been using it since long (although occasionally).
It eliminates the need of any special setup/config if we are behind a firewall/router.

Anyway, Wish you all the best for you project.

-- Best Regards
ForceRun
It is useful to use extra screens such as a laptop after it's use as a main system is past. Just a little wacky.
ssweat
im sure you can find a war to do this via bluetooth, I have seen a few programs that do something to the effect of what you are looking for.
ForceRun
The problem with bluetooth there is no possible way to transmit the date required for a video signal. As the bluetooth standard only gives you the bandwidth for 1-2Mbs a sec which is way under the need for a basic video signal, i.e. DVI runs at 1.65 Gbit/s x 3 data paths.
gordo
it probably is, but probably very hard to do
mshafiq
ssweat wrote:
im sure you can find a war to do this via bluetooth, I have seen a few programs that do something to the effect of what you are looking for.

I think previous update is the fact that is why blue tooth application are limited due to bandwidth issue.
thanks