FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Name in URL

Possum
Hi

I give folders with names like php, mysql to help me with search engines including sphider which I use for my own site.

Can I give folders names like web developers there is a space between the words. Can you do that nowadays..Or perhaps some systems might not read it

Thank you..
Peterssidan
Some browsers replace spaces with %20. (web%20developers/). Firefox made this in earlier versions. Why not use - or _ instead?
Possum
Ive though that search engines may not see Web_Developer but may see Web Developer
Peterssidan
Why would they not see Web_Developer? make a search on google: inurl:Web_Developer and you see there is a lot of urls indexed with that name. The search inurl:Web Developer gives a lot of pages that contains web-developer in the url. - is probably best because that is interpreted more like a space: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/dashes-vs-underscores/
the-guide
I doesn't matter how you type in web_developer, webdeveloper, web developer, web-developer or even other that similar to those, Google continually smart enough to know that they mean "web developer" and not only that, Google also know that it might be some of other related words such as "web development" and etc. Wink
Peterssidan
it's not totaly true. Biggest different is web_developer because it's handled as a whole word. Make a search in google and see.
the-guide
Peterssidan wrote:
it's not totaly true. Biggest different is web_developer because it's handled as a whole word. Make a search in google and see.

Oh! I see, you're right, Google pay more attention on the word "web_developer" as you mentioned.
sciencegto
I agree with you. Web_developer is more SEO friendly.
TomS
sciencegto wrote:
I agree with you. Web_developer is more SEO friendly.

Jop. It's better readable than %20. So old browsers might show %20 instead of " " (unlike firefox which displays " ") Therefore sites named "web developer" are lower ranked.
dude_xyx
Well I use both one-two and one_two. I haven't seen any difference when it comes to search engine rankings.
TomS
dude_xyx wrote:
Well I use both one-two and one_two. I haven't seen any difference when it comes to search engine rankings.

"-" and "_" are allowed in URL. " " is not. Therefore " " is not good for SEO.

I don't think either that "-" or "_" are different.
riccopt
the problem with the "-" is that google might think that you are looking for the 1st term and NOT the second...

WEB-DEVELOPER -> google might give you results for WEB on page that the term DEVELOPER are not listed...
Ghost Rider103
But wouldn't "Webdeveloper" be better in this case?

It isn't meant to be used as one word, however its not meant to be used as "Web_Developer" either. Nor any other form to spell it.

If I were to buy the domain, I would personally try to eliminate any type of "-,_, etc." as I think without those it is much easier to remember.

"Webdeveloper" is easier remembered rather than "Web_developer".

I guess there is multiple ways to look at it.
Peterssidan
riccopt wrote:
the problem with the "-" is that google might think that you are looking for the 1st term and NOT the second...

WEB-DEVELOPER -> google might give you results for WEB on page that the term DEVELOPER are not listed...

As long as you don't add an exra space before the '-' there is no problems.
gorilla5
From my understanding of domains and should be the same for files and other names Google prefers dashes "-" for spaces. So this-is-my-address.com is better than thisismyaddress.com.

I would never use spaces because it creates lots of confusion with the %20 and so on. Also keep all file names lower case.
wanshi
Peterssidan wrote:
Some browsers replace spaces with %20. (web%20developers/). Firefox made this in earlier versions. Why not use - or _ instead?

yes,you can use "-" instead Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy