FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Customer Services

malcolmpreen
I work in customer services, and have done for the last 10 years or so.

Every so often we get an awkward customer.... but one of my current ones really takes the biscuit.

He's asked a question... which I have answered... he doesn't like the answer... so he re-asks the question in a different way.... with some additional information just to confuse things.... and repeat.

I know what I want to tell him... but I can't as if I tell him what I think, as the consequences would not be favourable....

It is very frustrating....

Malcolm
Bikerman
Well,
the following might cheer you up. This is one of the urban myths in IT concerning a guy on the help-desk for WordPerfect.
(The story is basically true, but the guy didn't actually say the last bit out loud.)
Quote:

(o=helpdesk operator; c=client)
o: Ridge Hall computer assistant, may I help you?
c: Yes, well, Im having trouble with Wordperfect
o: What sort of trouble?
c: Well I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words just went away.
o: Went away?
c: They disappeared.
o: Hmm, so what does your screen look like now?
c: Nothing
o: Nothing?
c: Its blank, and it wont accept anything when I type.
o: Are you still in wordperfect or did you get out?
c: How do I tell
o: Can you see the C prompt on the screen?
c: What is a sea-prompt?
o: Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?
c: There isnt any cursor, I told you, it wont accept anything I type.
o: Does your monitor have a power indicator?
c: What is a monitor?
o: The thing with the screen on that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when its on?
c: I dont know
o: Well, look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it, can you see that?
c: Yes I think so
o: Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if its plugged into the wall.
c: ..........Yes it is
o: When you were behind the monitor did you notice there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?
c: No
o: Well, there are. I need you to look back there agaian and find the other cable
c: ..........Okay here it is
o: Follow it for me, and tell me if its plugged securely into the back of your computer.
c: I cant reach
o: Uh huh. Well can you see if it is?
c: No
o: Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?
c: Oh its not because I dont have the rihgt angle - its because its dark
o: Dark?
c: Yes - the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window
o: Well turn the office light on then
c: I cant
o: No? Why not?
c: Because there is a power outage
o: A power ... A power outage? Aha, Okay, weve got it licked now.
Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?
c: Well, yes. I keep them in the closet
o: Good. Go get them, unplug your machine and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you got it from
c: Really, is it that bad
o: Yes, Im afraid it is
c: Well alright then, I suppose. What do I tell them?
o: Tell them you are too ****ing stupid to own a computer!!!!!!!!
Georgeboy
Haha, great joke !!

My mum gave a few years ago a computer course. One of her students wanted to help her and he said he was a computer expert... He said he would help to boot all the computers to make them ready for the students. After he spent some time behind the first computer he told her that there was a problem with the machine. He said that it didn't work. My mum asked him what he had done. Well, I just pushed the button under the screen, but the machine seems not to react...
buhle2007
Thats a good one... didnt see it coming
Vrythramax
That was a funny story...and even better looking with QUOTE tags added. Razz
Ryox
nice post biker :3
Crinoid
Have you considered changing jobs? Complaining here and bashing customers who pay for the bread on your table will not help you. You are not speaking badly about your boss online, right? But about people who are keeping your company alive, it seems perfectly OK.
Sorry for not chiming in, but I'm on a customer side and long time ago stopped using any customer service after much worse experiences than you had.

I guess there always are more difficult people than you are, will you be support or a customer. I feel sympathy for both of them, but bashing them in public is not a way to go. They will start a counter thread with their experiences with support, which will be equally unpleasant for opposite side.
bigt
malcolmpreen wrote:
I work in customer services, and have done for the last 10 years or so.

Every so often we get an awkward customer.... but one of my current ones really takes the biscuit.

He's asked a question... which I have answered... he doesn't like the answer... so he re-asks the question in a different way.... with some additional information just to confuse things.... and repeat.

I know what I want to tell him... but I can't as if I tell him what I think, as the consequences would not be favourable....

It is very frustrating....

Malcolm

Customer Service is not my "cup of tea". Better you than me and thank you for what you do. My appreciation always keeps me calm when dealing with those in your profession, even the ones that don't like their job or can't do it. Keep up the good work and write down those funny stories. Smile
deanhills
Takes a special kind of person to be good with customers. I'm not one of them as I have a low tolerance for pests. I guess successful customer service people are more or less the equivalent of actors and actresses, and are on stage all the time. Pretending they really care about their customers, and especially the difficult ones. They also have to know how to deal with the difficult ones who cross boundaries of conduct, and that is probably a great problem as the boundaries of conduct vary from customer management to management.