FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is PHP Worth learning?

maker
It seems that PHP is the popular one out now days but I don't want to waste time and energy on the wrong language.

It certainly can talk the talk
Can it walk the walk?
rvec
you can learn php if you want, but if you're planning on learning more languages php is not the best to start with. PHP is used a lot for making web applications, and is one of the best for doing just that.

If you want to learn more languages it'd be better to start with the (a bit harder but arguably better) languages like C++, Ruby (with Rails), Perl and Python.

If you just want to learn one language with which you can start making real things very soon, has loads of examples online, has numerous supporters online and can be hosted on most free webhosts; learn PHP.
Marcuzzo
maker wrote:
It seems that PHP is the popular one out now days but I don't want to waste time and energy on the wrong language.

it all depends on what you want to do.
I don't think that php will be gone any time soon so it is allways worth it.
imagefree
simply yes, its worth learning
Peterssidan
I also think it's worth it. If you don't know any programming language already and learn php. It will not be totally wasted if you decide you want to learn some other language instead. Most Imperative languages has much in common so it's a lot easier to learn a language if you already know another language.
rvec
Peterssidan wrote:
It will not be totally wasted if you decide you want to learn some other language instead. Most Imperative languages has much in common so it's a lot easier to learn a language if you already know another language.

but if you learn C++ and decide you want to learn some other language you'll have a big advantage compared to those who learned PHP.
Marcuzzo
rvec wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
It will not be totally wasted if you decide you want to learn some other language instead. Most Imperative languages has much in common so it's a lot easier to learn a language if you already know another language.

but if you learn C++ and decide you want to learn some other language you'll have a big advantage compared to those who learned PHP.

I agree,

it is true that the first language you learn is the hardest one, so you might aswell start out with a more difficult one and make the rest easier for you.

but starting out with a rather complex language as C++ wont work for everybody.

I started out with simple javascript and then a little bit of Java, then I moved to C and a little later C++.

I believe that once you graps the idea of programming in general, you just need to get good documentation and you are off with a new language.
albuferque
Think about the future, think about Rails

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NVfDlU6yQ

also this is very funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld919lziKgE

However, if you're a Windows guy:

You'll want to learn SQL, I mean, LINQ

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa904594.aspx
Agent ME
PHP isn't all that complex, and it's about a must if you want to work with web development (at least being able to understand it, whether or not you use it specifically on your own server).
halilibo
PHP is just a web programming language like the others, but you can learn it more easily. because there are many books, sources, educations on the net for php.

All you must do is to want. it is not as complex as you think. if you know half programming (C programming) you can learn php basics in a week. then it is your turn to improve your knowledge.

after learning the basics, you have to write codes and search the net for hints or howto s.

then it is ok. you are a PHP-Coder now. Smile
snowboardalliance
PHP is pretty necessary for web development (I mean who wants to use ASP?) but almost useless if you want to do computer programming on the desktop. Of course learning it could make learning c++ or java easier as you have some foundation in programming, but you won't find desktop applications using php (yes it is possible but I haven't seen it done)
mattyman
go learn c++ or javascript. its better but u can learn php alot to do with it.
rvec
mattyman wrote:
go learn c++ or javascript. its better but u can learn php alot to do with it.
Javascript? If there's one language I wouldn't recommend...
flatliner
rvec wrote:
Javascript? If there's one language I wouldn't recommend...

I would agree with rvec
tobenna
If you learn C/C++, or you have a knowledge of them, you would find it easier for you to learn php, because php has almost the same sytax with them. And to answer your question, sure. Php is worth learning it can create amazing web applications if you know the languae. Although everything created in php has to be on a websiteor a web server, else it won't run.
wadja-host
Well i sure bet that php is the best language you can learn its simple and good all apps on the web are now being covered by php but alos try learning c++ and other well goto sitepoint by typing sitepoint on google or goto w3schools and take a php tutorial right now so u know about it a little and the good part bout it is that u can learn php on the net first u may also need a local server

try downloading wamp very good free server

goto google.com and type wamp downloads

nice day and try adding ur upcoming php website heree\
noah
Is having a fast car worth having?

The answer of course is it depends. If you want a fast car then it's good. If you can't afford the insurance then it's bad. If you want to modify word press or write your own custom plugins for the most popular CMSs out there then of course PHP is worth learning.

If you want to be able to be a mad scripted and script *nix and windows scripts and program for the web and basically do everything you've ever dreamed of and more maybe python is better.

If you want to program applications consider java or C++.

If you want to work on *nix applications maybe C is better.

Ultimately pick a simple first project and learn the best language for that project. From there you'll see it's weaknesses and you can learn how to address them. Maybe it's not an OOP language and you'd really like to use that.

Basically, you need to figure out what you want to do and that will help you decide if it's worth it or not.
Ghost900
Understanding PHP is a great plus and can come in handy with many websites.

I would say it is probably easier to learn then some of the other web languages as well.
traxion
Ghost900 wrote:
Understanding PHP is a great plus and can come in handy with many websites.

I would say it is probably easier to learn then some of the other web languages as well.

php is the funnest way to learn programming if you ask me
the result is a website which can put only and everybody can view it. when learning in C or C++ you make a program for you alone..

php has array, classes, database/file store options.. and php 6 will be also available as a desktop version. So they make php like C# or C++
joostvane
I learned PHP, and its not that hard. If you make your own websites, use other examples, make changes, ... It is a lot of fun and easy to do it.

If you have never learned another language before, I suggest first googling for a guide, that will get you started.
the zephyrus
php is kinda messy and idiosyncratic. Whether it's a good first language I would think questionable.

My advice to you, beyond what language in particular, is this. Learn the concepts rather than the language. Learn how to make code that does what you want, and how do solve problems using code. Afterwards, all that differs is syntax.
vasvaas
IF you are a beginner i would recommend you learning visual basic, then come to php. It's easy to learn just like visual basic. You have the whole reference to php in their site.
webcola
If you're a beginner, but you can at least read basic code...

Java- learn the basics of coding (loops, OOP, etc.). Grab a book or something on Java.

After java, learn C++. It's basically Java, but with more control, since you're coding on your machine.

Then, C. This gives you a better understand on how memory, functions, and classes work.

From there, you can pretty much learn any language without too much trouble.

I kinda did it backwards- PHP, Java, C++, C, python
cLean
Look What is the point in learning to ride a bike if you arent going to ride it to begin with when u learn it... Same with Programming Language.! Dont be doing it to say you can!
Agent ME
cLean wrote:
Look What is the point in learning to ride a bike if you arent going to ride it to begin with when u learn it... Same with Programming Language.! Dont be doing it to say you can!

I'd say that's bad advice. If you have time, learn everything you can under the sun. PHP, Python, perl, Bash, C/C++, and crazy functional languages like Haskell, etc. Learning languages which do things different ways is pretty enlightening, and seeing the differences can make you a better coder.

Programming is a skill that isn't specific to any language.
binsmyth
PHP is a loosely typed language. so, when you there are some mistake it does not so, many errors. Even if there is some problems in coding it will work anyway.
whereas
Java and C++ is a strict typed language where every step of the code is checked if there is any error. So, It think for a beginning it is better to start out with a strict typed language than the loose ones to get a proper basic about programming.
PHP are useful in making the web applications. It is not good for making huge softwares as it might create problem and certainly it is not good for huge industries who need big softwares to run their business.
PHP is good for small sized business
rvec
binsmyth wrote:
PHP is a loosely typed language. so, when you there are some mistake it does not so, many errors. Even if there is some problems in coding it will work anyway.
whereas
Java and C++ is a strict typed language where every step of the code is checked if there is any error. So, It think for a beginning it is better to start out with a strict typed language than the loose ones to get a proper basic about programming.
PHP are useful in making the web applications. It is not good for making huge softwares as it might create problem and certainly it is not good for huge industries who need big softwares to run their business.
I don't think that's true. I agree on the part that it might be better for a beginner to start on a strict language, but PHP is also mature enough to build big applications. Especially if you have a good software designer (architecture, not graphics) you can build huge projects in PHP. And if you include good unit tests, debugging and some debugging software installed on the server you'll have enough ways to spot and trace problems.
Hogwarts
rvec wrote:
binsmyth wrote:
whereas
I don't think that's true. I agree on the part that it might be better for a beginner to start on a strict language, but PHP is also mature enough to build big applications. Especially if you have a good software designer (architecture, not graphics) you can build huge projects in PHP. And if you include good unit tests, debugging and some debugging software installed on the server you'll have enough ways to spot and trace problems.

Agreeing with Rvec here. What language do you think Facebook is written in, anyway, binsymth? Wink
JosexD
Personally I've started programming with c++, and found php really niceeee, it just complements all my needs when talking about net based apps
some people that started / like visual basic tend to like asp but wel..

php + c++ combination is overpowerful jeje
Radar
Yes. PHP is simple, good, and has more in-built functions than almost anything else.
eltongeorge
I do believe that you should learn C first. And all the other languages, such as JAVA, PHP, ..... are just the same but only different in little supporting algorithm and rules.

In my experience, even you didn't touch PHP before, you can learn it in a very short time because you know all the high-level language algorithm and convention already.

Of course, you need to have a great passion in programming arts.
jetgirltaxi
A surprising number of other high-level languages, like java, javascript, and PHP have at least a passing resemblance to C in their syntax. C is a good place to start. You can then pick up java, javascript and PHP pretty quickly. C is the most widely-used application programming language. Javascript and PHP are the most widely-used web-development programming languages on the client and server side. Java is useful for both client-side web coding as well as stand-alone applications. Learn these four and you can get hired anywhere.
jcreus
maker wrote:

It certainly can talk the talk
Can it walk the walk?

Depending on your aims. For web applications, it is probably the best one; for scripting/genral purpose use Python! The solution to everything Smile.
welshsteve
I think if you want to make websites, then PHP is definitely worth learning. I am learning PHP all the time, as I develop my knowledge and make the websites I manage easier to manage if you know what I mean. Some of the stuff I have already learned has saved me hours a week.
mahirh
maker wrote:

No, it can always serve as an excellent base to start your web coding career, it can provide you with a heck lot of experience right before you are in the battle. it unlocks for you the foresight of how good the battle ahead will be (in philosophical terms, that is). Much like the others may have said the syntax's of most high level languages posses a resemblance to that of php. Dont forget that php is powerful enough to power the largest information security system in the world, Facebook
D'Artagnan
every language is worth learning, and PHP is so easy to set up and test that even if you're not going to work with web its definetivelly worth it, because you're going to see a diferent language and you'll decide which one is better for you.

much people hate PHP because of it , i love it because it's much more loose the java, i like it because i feel responsible for making my code better , the language doesnt try to strech out and make teach me how to code. thats one of the things i loved about C and that's why i cant cope with delphi and java.

sure for large projects with tons of code and people spitting code like a baseball player, this becomes and divantage, but i like to work small, clean and open.

i'm not saying its better then python,C or delphi/pascal , and each language has its own peculiarities , advantages , problems and applications, what i'm saying that every language is worth checking out. and nowdays its so easy to sit and make a small functional program in python, php, java, .net it's worth checking out everyone before you choose one to master Wink

wanna learn php ?
Apt-get (or similar) PHP,APache and Mysql or downoad XAMPP and youre good to go![/url]
therimalaya
It is simple, I've started from it.. But i thought that if i had started with C or C++, i would have more deeper understanding of programming. Although, I'm satisfied with PHP
MineF
Php is quite easy to understand. So I would say yes
Also with php you've got many more functions such as creating databases with mysql
campuspk
before learn the php, it is necessary to know about programming in c/c++
phphunger
First thing please make a note in your mind dear newbie. If you want to learn and earn money in dollars i suggest you to learn PHP. Because its open source. You can start your own business by learning PHP. PHP gives such a wide scope of gaining money. If you really have the passion to learn then definitely you can learn. I hope PHP will never hurt you if you have good command over it.
nepalstar
As PHP is the popular and more using programming language for wed development I think this good to learn this PHP Language. You can't be a wed developer/web designer without the knowledge of PHP Language. Nowadays I think you need some basic knowledge of PHP Language to work on web development. As I'm using Wordpress as my CMS Software for my webpage I need to know some basic of PHP to work them well.

So I think learning PHP is worth but only PHP will not work you must have some basic knowledge on JavaScript and other script languages too.
Bluedoll
binsmyth wrote:
whereas

Because I am a novice with computer lanquages I find this entire thread confusing. I do see the point about if we want to learn to program there is an advantage to learning java or C++ over php because of how it is structured. If that is true?

I get confused when the thread talks about making apps or in binsmyth's post making huge sofware for business. If business wanted an app then they would hire perhaps a C++ programmer but if they wanted a smart web developer, someone using php.

Are different computer lanqages only for different purposes?
Navigator
The issue here is if you have a clear view of what you want. If you consider yourself as strongly attracted to web development, but have little or no experience with programming in general, then perhaps C/C++ as introductory topic to the subject would be a good idea. It is a good idea because it will teach you the ropes regarding data structures, procedural programming, OOP, compilers, etc.. all desireable, but not mandatory, before you dig into PHP as a web platform.

If perhaps your stronghold is web design, then learning script languages will be a nice addition to your resum้.
D'Artagnan
Quote:

What? this is just plain wrong, you are basically stating that any weak typed language allows you to make wrong code valid, which would be just plain stupid and would break the internet (javascript is weakly typed and extremally annoying when it comes to errors)
cfvergara
Actually, PHP sort of encourages horrible, horrible coding by stuff like variable variables or error supression.

Not that it's required or anything but just by existing, those two things (there's more) enable you to make REALLY really really shitty code that will be allowed to execute
newcomer
The benefits of PHP Web Development in India:

* It costs low with cost effective database applications

* Improves the visibility of organization by building excellent performance data warehouse applications

* The experts are skilled with proper art of developing automated application development systems, which is useful in upgrading manual processes.

* Also they provide assistance to platforms like Microsoft Windows, IBM AIX, Linux, Sun Solaris, QNX, Mac OS X
pauline123
As has been pointed out already there are pros and cons to learning php. It truly depends on what you intend to do. Every language performs in its own particular way at certain tasks when compared to others. However, there are ways each one worse performs at. It just depends on what one wants to do. If you go with php you pretty much have decided to learn to program mostly for the internet and stuff of that ilk. If you choose another then you have chosen it hopefully for its beneficial qualities in certain areas.

Either way, I wish you good luck in your endeavor.
manfer
If you want to work on web development for sure PHP is a language you must know. There are lots of widely used scripts written with that programming language so you need a great knowledge on PHP to code for those platforms. Blog scripts, forum scripts, portal scripts, and even some ecommerce solutions work on PHP.
Bikerman
As most people have pointed out - horses for courses.
Ideally you would start with a strongly typed procedural lang like C, then go object oriented with C++, then go to the weak-typed and/or script languages like php, perl etc.
On the other hand, if you just want to develop web apps and you don't intend to become a programmer, you might just jump into php and not worry too much about the niceties....
silverdown
I see it as, it only worth learning if you want to know and understand it. I also see it as a personal choice but I find it usefull for web development.
sysna
Answering this question needs to first answer these questions :

1. Are you a programmer ?
2. Do you develop web based apps, scripts, ... ?

If the both answers are yes then it worth to learn it otherwise it is not Very Happy
codersfriend
Yes because it's free, easy to learn, and has a large community that supports it.
Gregoric
If you would like to be a programmer, web developer, server-side coder (the one who creates login systems, manages databases, takes care about security etc.) or even a digital artist - you will sooner or later learn PHP. It is also a great language for beginner as it doesn't require manual compilling each time you would like to debug the code. Also, the community and knowledge of PHP all around the web will let you ask for help any time to get answer.

You should start learning (firstly HTML, just the basics to understand how does it work, you don't need the HTML5 add-ons yet. Then you could read a little bit about CSS (it changes the way how the website looks) but that's not necessary. Then PHP! Start playing with simple scripts to then create more and more complicated things that access databases; try using frameworks. Then, you'll see that it was not a bad idea to learn it!
vic430
If you already know a few programming language and want to do web programming in future. PHP is a must
If you are new to programming, I highly suggest you start with C++.
LxGoodies
PHP allows a lot of freedom, starters will produce "spaghetti code" Very Happy everything is allowed, even using undeclared variables.

I would say if you're a real beginner, start out with something that requires more discipline than PHP, a language such as C or Object Pascal (Delphi).

A C-programmer can handle PHP without reading the manuals..

Lx
codegeek
I've been learning PHP as well, and having already learned some C and C++ in my university courses and also by self-study, I am finding it quite intuitive and easy to use. Plus, the functionality that I have been able to employ on my webpages using it makes learning PHP totally worth it.
Sabbadon
it worth it. you'll be able to create custom modules on php-cms like joomla Smile
phyl6058
The next days will be the web application days. SO in this matter php have great worth.
limpands
tobenna wrote:
If you learn C/C++, or you have a knowledge of them, you would find it easier for you to learn php, because php has almost the same sytax with them. And to answer your question, sure. Php is worth learning it can create amazing web applications if you know the languae. Although everything created in php has to be on a websiteor a web server, else it won't run.

C++/C does not look like Php's in any way?
Do not listen to those who say that you should learn C/C++ before you learn Php.

Learn PHP first and then, when you want to learn another language like Java or C++, you have a big advantage.
zimmer
newcomer wrote:
The benefits of PHP Web Development in India:

* It costs low with cost effective database applications

* Improves the visibility of organization by building excellent performance data warehouse applications

* The experts are skilled with proper art of developing automated application development systems, which is useful in upgrading manual processes.

* Also they provide assistance to platforms like Microsoft Windows, IBM AIX, Linux, Sun Solaris, QNX, Mac OS X

It is a good language and powerful. I agree on the statement above. Truly an open source application and strong security patches can be define to your project.
Stay_Classy
If I were you, I would start with Python or one of the C family (C, C++, C#, Java, Javascript). They are the basis of most languages. I would also say you could start with, say, Ruby or Lua.

Do NOT start with Perl. Granted, it's useful, I find it great, but don't start with it. It allows you to hack stuff together quickly, but you also sometimes get lazy. You forget indentation or parenthesis, and Perl doesn't care.

PHP is rather based on Perl. I would say, you shouldn't start with it, but it is EXTREMELY useful to know. For using Frihost, I would recommend Perl.

Python encourages indentation and readable code, the C family has static typing, which is how most programs are made.

Ruby, etc. are mostly good for web, although with things like Shoes, you can make applications.

Basic is outdated, and uses programming ideas used in few other languages.

On NO account should you learn Malbolge.
friend2012
If you intent to develop applications for the web, php will be best incase you are beginner.
Php is similar to c/c++ easy to learn and will enable you to learn and build complex applications for web only. You can learn to create website with in few weeks using php.

Today as most of the sites are coded and being coded in php, you will stand to gain a lot if you learn php. As you will get lot of projects in php than is asp or other web scripting languages.

If you want to develop desktop then php will be of no use.
monalisha
PHP is a server side scripting language. How are you comparing it with c ++
manfer
Stay_Classy wrote:
If I were you, I would start with Python or one of the C family (C, C++, C#, Java, Javascript). They are the basis of most languages. I would also say you could start with, say, Ruby or Lua.

Python encourages indentation and readable code, the C family has static typing, which is how most programs are made.

ECMAscript (being Javascript an implementation of it) has dynamic typing so static typing is not something mandatory on C family.

In fact Perl and PHP are both C family and they have dynamic typing too.

monalisha wrote:
PHP is a server side scripting language. How are you comparing it with c ++

Almost all coding languages are based upon the concepts of another older coding language, or based on several ones but highly influenced by one. In case of PHP it is highly influenced by Perl which in turn is highly influenced by C language.

It is in that sense that people compare PHP with C/C++ (should be said C -only- and not C/C++)

Has nothing to do with the language major usage. As reminder you should take in mind that PHP has a CLI version and can be used to code desktop apps and not only server side scripts, though PHP is obviously mostly used for server side scripting.

Is the same as Perl. If you code a Perl CGI you are coding a server side script but if you code a Perl script to do some task on your computer that is not a server side script.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generational_list_of_programming_languages
metalfreek
Are you interested in web development? If the answer is yes than I don't see you can afford to miss out on PHP. Most of the popular open source CMS systems are based on PHP so I think its a must.

But having said that, if you ar into Python or Ruby they are also popular.

If you are starting on programming than PHP is a great language to start with.
codersfriend
Learning PHP has a lot of advantages Smile
Nyasro
yes it's worth learning
Arrogant
If you want a serverside scripting you can go for PHP.
It supports mySQL for database management.
If you need a clientside scripting there's javascript