FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Opera 10 Beta

anakin_skyrunner
Short note for all browser-freaks like me, you can now download Opera 10 Beta from here:
http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

I have not yet tested it as I install alpha and beta browsers only on a seperate system (running Win 7 hehe), but reviews so far are great. Go, download it and have a look Wink

I hope this is the right forum btw..
r4inm4ker
What are it's cutting edges compared to , say, firefox or chrome ? I used it daily years ago (opera 8 or 9), but the standard web support is not sufficient at that time ( web sites not properly displayed, crashes, etc). And today I see the new feature list on the link you give, it seems that there's nothing truly innovating. Maybe I need to try it myself to compare it with others.
jackill
Give it a try, it's worth it Smile I'm looking for stable version now Smile
anakin_skyrunner
r4inm4ker wrote:
What are it's cutting edges compared to , say, firefox or chrome ? I used it daily years ago (opera 8 or 9), but the standard web support is not sufficient at that time ( web sites not properly displayed, crashes, etc). And today I see the new feature list on the link you give, it seems that there's nothing truly innovating. Maybe I need to try it myself to compare it with others.

You should take a look at the whole changelog, which can be found here.
And if this doesn't sound enough, don't forget what the current version (9.64) can do, compared to IE Wink Of course, Firefox has all the freaky extensions, but many things are integrated already. Safari is good too, and Chrome as well, what I like about these browsers is that they are lightweight (correct?) and pretty fast, but due to the speed they lack very cool features. Speed Dial for example was introduced quite some time ago in Opera, after Crome Safari 4 introduces this feature as well.
But the best thing is compatibility of Opera, only Firefox is as good as Opera concerning this. Leopard, Windows, Linux, doesn't matter what system you have, Opera will run on it. And with version 10 it's faster too.

Ah, and I nearly forget: synchronisation! That's a very neat feature I miss with the other browsers, I always have the same bookmarks on my main browser, on Win 7, on my mobile and on the go with my.opera.com.
Hogwarts
r4inm4ker wrote:
What are it's cutting edges compared to , say, firefox or chrome ?

After using Opera for so long and then taking a peek at other browsers, you'll notice that everything else seems to render excruciatingly slow in comparison to Opera afterwards.
amperx
hey thanks for the info, yeah been so long since i last used opera, gonna give this a try, and maybe it'll convince me to use it as my primary browser again Very Happy
[FuN]goku
I was reading slashdot today, and actually looked at the whole thing on the new opera. And I found out that they have the whole compression thing. So i decided to try it out since i'm on dialup 70% of the time, It's nice to have some faster browsing (currently i'm using a proxy with compression enabled)

So i've been using it for about 2 hours , and i have to say, opera turbo is probably better than the compression i've been using. It loads frihost alot faster, facebook takes alot less time as well.. pretty much any site actually.

I'm more of a firefox user, and i'm not completely used to opera yet, but so far, this is WAAAY better than firefox on dialup.
sheedatali
Yea that sounds very encouraging update. I tried it last night and it was great, although I could not tell the difference with turbo enabled since my connection is much faster. Other features are very good though, especially developer tools which really helps.

I am not too sure about the visual tabs thing, you already get a preview of the page by hovering mouse over it, so enabling visual tabs just takes more space on the page.

And finally the inline spell checker, that was a long requested feature so thank to opera for doing that. I love it, the only browser with so many features built in as compared to getting them as plugins. Keep it up opera.
jylan
Yeah Opera 10 beta sounds like a really cool update, I'm downloading it right now. For various time periods over the last 5 years or so I've used just about all the major browsers for day to day usage (Opera, Firefox, Camino, Safari), currently though I'm on Safari 4 beta. Some of its bugs are starting to really annoy me though so I might go back to using Opera as my default browser for a while.

BTW the reason I don't use Firefox is because I have heaps of web dev plugins installed, and that really slows it down to crawl. Can't stand it.
Hogwarts
jylan wrote:
BTW the reason I don't use Firefox is because I have heaps of web dev plugins installed, and that really slows it down to crawl. Can't stand it.

You really shouldn't need anything more extensive than perhaps Firebug, the Webdev Toolbar and Tamper Data. Anything more than that and you're going over the top.
william
I should be downloading this in the next couple of weeks. I was anxiously awaiting this update. Very Happy I have been having some flash problems with Opera recently, but I haven't tried to fix them. Hopefully I won't have to with this update.
anakin_skyrunner
sheedatali wrote:
[...]although I could not tell the difference with turbo enabled since my connection is much faster. [...]

Actually, it slows down fast connections as it sends images to an opera server that compresses them and then sends them to you. That process takes less time on slow connections than loading the old image, on fast connections however you're faster with the direct download.

Here are 4 screen-shots for you guys:

You can see the visual tabs at the top, as well as the status bar with the disabled Opera Turbo.

A pretty neat feature introduced some versions back (was it 9.0 or before?), now updated and better than ever: Speed Dial, fully customizable.

The sidepanel with the transfers register. In the bottom left hand corner you can see the enabled Opera Turbo icon, it loaded google 2x faster than normal (hooray!) I also put the options of Turbo on the picture, you can see it tells the user when he's on a fast network.

And of course the best comes in the end: it passes all acid tests as this picture shows:

I'll post more as time passes Wink
jackill
That Acid score looks impressive Smile Interface is cool also Very Happy Thanks for the screenshoots.

PS. This is Windows 7?
r4inm4ker
well, I'm nearly convinced now to try this new version of Opera, lol. But currently my firefox is doing well for everything I need. So... I think I'll install it at my home PC.
william
Sweet, Presto engine has passed the Acid3 test, now back up with WebKit. I'm really liking how this is going to turn out. Very Happy
driftingfe3s
I've been using the opera 10 since the early alphas, and I'm loving this new beta so far. Even at the alpha stage it was good enough to use as my default browser and this beta is a definite improvement. I can't wait for the next build to come out.
anakin_skyrunner
jackill wrote:
[...]Thanks for the screenshoots.
PS. This is Windows 7?

You're welcome =) And yes it is as you can see from the new superbar Wink

william wrote:
Sweet, Presto engine has passed the Acid3 test, now back up with WebKit. I'm really liking how this is going to turn out. Very Happy

Actually there was a nightly build of Opera a year ago I think that passed it. So WebKit and Presto were always at the same level, they just got their version out faster than Presto's.

driftingfe3s wrote:
I've been using the opera 10 since the early alphas, and I'm loving this new beta so far. Even at the alpha stage it was good enough to use as my default browser and this beta is a definite improvement. I can't wait for the next build to come out.

Yes it's really good, though they changed some file structures that caused quite some trouble for many people in Alpha stage.
Asis
i got some bugged version :S didnt work
Arnie
How is the memory / CPU usage compared to Opera 9?
jackill
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
jackill wrote:
[...]Thanks for the screenshoots.
PS. This is Windows 7?

You're welcome =) And yes it is as you can see from the new superbar Wink

No I'm using Opera 10 and Windows 7 too Smile Of course it's free beta program. Windows 7 is it what Vista should be from the beginning. Opera 10 is as good as always Smile And finally built-in typing correction Smile
anakin_skyrunner
jackill wrote:
No I'm using Opera 10 and Windows 7 too Smile Of course it's free beta program. Windows 7 is it what Vista should be from the beginning. Opera 10 is as good as always Smile And finally built-in typing correction Smile

Actually it's already RC Wink And yes, it's great.

3 more pics:

I think this security-message is new, nice addition to the already high security level of Opera.

The spell-checker Wink

The bookmarks seem to be unchanged, I like the heart icon though =)
jackill
Great ability is possibility to add speed dial background, very nice one feature. Also speed is very good. I read that this version is done on old engine and in official release it will be faster! Opera is leading browser now.

And about Windows 7: I love new taskbar layout. Always clean and clear. "Live" thumbnails and showing them with mouse over is one of the greatest element of the GUI. Also this little button "show desktop", when you hover shows desktop without need to minimize windows.
donofindia
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
Short note for all browser-freaks like me, you can now download Opera 10 Beta from here:
http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

I have not yet tested it as I install alpha and beta browsers only on a seperate system (running Win 7 hehe), but reviews so far are great. Go, download it and have a look Wink

I hope this is the right forum btw..

YA ITS REALLY COOL.I AM USING THE SAME....IT ALSO HAVE SPEED BOOSTING CAPABILITY........I LIKED THAT FEATURE........
Arnie
Did you know there's also a Caps lock feature? It makes writing in ALL CAPS much easier.
anakin_skyrunner
Arnie wrote:
Did you know there's also a Caps lock feature? It makes writing in ALL CAPS much easier.

I really need some coffee, it took me too long to understand what you meant *lol* I think it's a feature of your hardware, though Wink
harismushtaq
In Opera version 9.6, I had a problem loading yahoo mail.

After logging into the new Yahoo mail, after some time, the browser will crash. Can any one tell me if this was a known problem with version 9.6 and if it is fixed in 10 beta ?
jackill
Try by yourself. Opera 10 Beta can be installed as separate installation, without changing any in previous installation.
binsmyth
Man it is really great. Opera 10 beta. I already like the oldder versions of opera now this one is awesome. but I wish there was the hide speed dial option still there. other than that so, far it is a really great experience. I like the new thumbnail tab really really really great. There is one problem with opera I don't know why but i can't seem to use hotmail properly in opera. But whatever really really really good
anakin_skyrunner
binsmyth wrote:
Man it is really great. Opera 10 beta. I already like the oldder versions of opera now this one is awesome. but I wish there was the hide speed dial option still there. other than that so, far it is a really great experience. I like the new thumbnail tab really really really great. There is one problem with opera I don't know why but i can't seem to use hotmail properly in opera. But whatever really really really good

Just a few minutes ago they posted that they're nearing Release Candidate state, so until August we should have a new Opera Browser Smile
If you want to hide Speed Dial, just open the options (at the very bottom on the right) and check "Hide Speed Dial".
And it is known that many Microsoft websites are buggy with Opera, they even show an error message at the first login. But it's become better with no. 10 and the new live wave.
biljap
I’ve tried Opera 10 beta and I really liked new look and the fact that loads pages really fat. However, when I compare it to Firefox, it is still not good enough for my needs. I also think that finding some options in menu confusing. And I’d like to have possibility to choose whether I want email client in my browser or not.
anakin_skyrunner
Just a short update here as well, Opera 10 RC is now out and to be downloaded:

opera.com

I heard they want to release it on September 1, which is plausible as it is running just fine so far Smile .

A new logo has been introduced as well:

This one fits much better with the new Win7 taskbar as well as it is centered now.
driftingfe3s
Opera 10 RC 2 was released Friday. Looks like they've polished it up quite a bit and I'm loving the new icon! They also have new icons for .html, .htm files which look pretty good too.

you can grab the new release candidate and view the change log here: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/08/28/opera-10-0-release-candidate-2

I had a problem trying to this build to detect java after I switched over to Windows 7, but after some googleing i found a solution involving adding a the java bin directory to a variable on my machinesenvironmental variables.
romeryto
The Opera beta is best!!! The WebServer, Music Server etc. is the new power of Opera!
Chinmoy
opera is getting better and better always. I really like the turbo feature of opera.
anakin_skyrunner
It's been released!

You can download Opera 10 here:

Opera 10 Download

They didn't include Unite in the final version, they will include it in Opera 10.10. Stay tuned for more Cool[/url]
jackill
Auto update tool is also included, good Smile
shark123
There is also Opera Ulite before this, what is diference betwen two?
driftingfe3s
shark123 wrote:
There is also Opera Ulite before this, what is diference betwen two?

They just didn't include Opera Unite in the initial release of the opera 10 final just cause there there were things that they still needed to work out and/or improve. The latest snapshots of Opera 10.10 have it included, so you can check those if you like. Grab it here: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/
harismushtaq
anakin_skyrunner wrote:

Man the new logo is very big. It will take half of my desktop so I am just thinking if I should install it. By the way, Opera 10 is now officially launched.
anakin_skyrunner
harismushtaq wrote:
anakin_skyrunner wrote:

Man the new logo is very big. It will take half of my desktop so I am just thinking if I should install it. By the way, Opera 10 is now officially launched.

?? You are serious?
Because that's just the high resolution version^^ The desktop/taskbar icon is smaller of course.
Jean-Clod
Like I was saying in http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-97941-3.html#922058, Opera is great, but I prefer Chrome, for 2 main reasons:
-Better standards support: all the -webkit CSS3 properties, that aren't otherwise available in Opera, IE, or Firefox, even if some are in Firefox.
-Faster: someone said it's very barebone: that's what makes it great, I think. And that's why I use it on a day-to-day basis

EDIT: anakin_skyrunner: I lived in Austria (Wien) for a while, great country, don't you think so? Very Happy
anakin_skyrunner
Jean-Clod wrote:
Like I was saying in http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-97941-3.html#922058, Opera is great, but I prefer Chrome, for 2 main reasons:
-Better standards support: all the -webkit CSS3 properties, that aren't otherwise available in Opera, IE, or Firefox, even if some are in Firefox.
-Faster: someone said it's very barebone: that's what makes it great, I think. And that's why I use it on a day-to-day basis

EDIT: anakin_skyrunner: I lived in Austria (Wien) for a while, great country, don't you think so? Very Happy

Yes Chrome is great, no question about it! I like the lightweight design as well, but still - I'm missing many of the cool features Opera is offering.
But I have to admit, for some features I'm using Chrome - say translating Twitter or Windows Mail, Opera support is still not the best Rolling Eyes shame on you, Microsoft!

Yes, I love this country! And Vienna is one city of it's own^^
anakin_skyrunner
Hey guys Smile

Good news again, Opera just released a pre-alpha build of Opera 10.5!
It features Presto 2.5 and Carakan, the new Javscript engine, next to many pretty nice enhancements (native look on Mac and Windows, support of Windows 7 Jump Lists and Thumbnail-Preview, less nasty dialogues, better search, etc.)

Get it from here: http://labs.opera.com/news/2009/12/22/

I'm already running it and it really is fast! Finally feels like Chrome concerning speed, but is Opera thoroughly Smile
Jean-Clod
It also enables Vega, thus adding graphics hardware-acceleration (for the moment only software), and supporting loads of new CSS3 properties (columns, border-radius, etc..)! Great!

But is it normal that I don't have any jumplist support over here? The thumbnails work, and so does the aero-glass effect, so what's the trick? :'(
anakin_skyrunner
Jean-Clod wrote:
It also enables Vega, thus adding graphics hardware-acceleration (for the moment only software), and supporting loads of new CSS3 properties (columns, border-radius, etc..)! Great!

But is it normal that I don't have any jumplist support over here? The thumbnails work, and so does the aero-glass effect, so what's the trick? :'(

Thanks for adding some of the features Wink

Hm, I don't know. I didn't see most of the Jumplist's features at beginning as well. Now that I've browsed, "Frequent" + "Speed Dial" showed up (Speed Dial was hidden because I didn't have Opera Link enabled at that time I think).