FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7 RC1 on a HP tx2000 tablet

Ghengis
Well, I finally got my fish wallpaper!

I had to ask a few questions and read around a bit, but installing the Windows 7 RC was actually pretty painless.

Some caveats: I just moved, so I haven't unpacked my DVDs yet. I was trying to do what I could with what I had, so I ended up installing off an SD card (4GB MicroSDHC, actually). It's easy -- just extract the ISO and make the SD card "active". I followed these instructions to set up the SD card.

Once I had the card set up, I booted from it. I left the PC unattended and came back to find it turned off. Hrm. I pushed the power switch, and the lights all came on for about half a second before turning back off. Hrmmmm... then I noticed the top-right corner of the PC was burning hot -- it was actually impossible to keep my finger on the underside for more than a second or two. My theory is that during the "Windows is copying files" portion of the install, it doesn't do proper power management. I wound up getting the install to work by sitting the laptop on a ziploc bag of ice, in front of a desk fan set on high. Overkill, maybe, but it did the trick.

Once the install completed, it seemed to manage more sane power / heat management. Everything pretty much worked out of the box, though I had about 150 megs of Windows Updates waiting. I still haven't gotten the fingerprint reader or auto-rotation working, but both pen and touch seem to be doing fine without any extra drivers from HP. And it's faster than Vista too! All in all, a pretty good experience.
mOrpheuS
Ghengis wrote:
My theory is that during the "Windows is copying files" portion of the install, it doesn't do proper power management. I wound up getting the install to work by sitting the laptop on a ziploc bag of ice, in front of a desk fan set on high. Overkill, maybe, but it did the trick.

If your system becomes unstable with the heat it generates at full load - that's either bad design or a component malfunction.
Ghengis
I think it's the former. A lot of people have complained about heat problems with this computer -- frankly, I think the Turion processor they used it totally unsuited to mobile use, and AMD has been on the wrong track with their design approach for over a generation. If I could have gotten the PC with an Intel chip I would have, but it wasn't an option. So instead of running with smart heat management, I just get stuck throttling my 2 gig CPU back to 800 MHz... (and of course, when the throttling fails, the CPU melts through the case...)