FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Left 4 Dead 2 PC & 360

Will you be buying L4D2?
Yes, definitely!
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
No way!
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
I'll wait for the reviews to roll in before deciding.
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Yes, unless it's terrible.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

achowles
Left 4 Dead 2 has been announced by Valve for release in the forth quarter. It's going to be an Xbox 360 and PC "exclusive" (or rather 'excluding', heh).

It will feature new characters, new maps, a new setting, melee weapons, an improved AI director and generally more content than the first game, apparently.

I'll be honest with you, though. Multiplayer games live or die by their support. Left 4 Dead received next to no support from Valve. So why should we expect more from this one.

Take Valve's highly successful Team Fortress 2, for example. Not only has that game received a lot of new maps since release, all the character classes have gone through extensive upgrades. Equally, games like Day of Defeat Source and Counterstrike Source have seen swarms of new maps after release.

Naturally I was hoping for something similar with L4D and bought it on faith. But this really dampens my faith in Valve and others seem to feel the same. I just hope they make amends on this one.

So really, what can we expect from this sequel and what are your thoughts on this?
Keran
I really loved the first L4D, it was great fun to kill zombies with three friends, the teamwork was pretty cool and the action was pretty intense. The only thing I didn't like was that the game was really short and after a while it got really repetitive, that's why I'm hoping the sequel will offer more. If that will be true I will surely buy it ;]
QrafTee
I'm sorta pissed Valve is moving onto Left 4 Dead 2 so quickly... Left 4 Dead hasn't even grown a year old yet. I'm thinking Valve realized there were some limitations of Left 4 Dead that could not simply be fixed with a patch so they had to release a new iteration... either that or they're starting to show corruption.
Diablosblizz
Defiantly seeing the trailer it looked weird, this is what I am talking about. The characters from Left 4 Dead looked less polished, as you'd figure considering there are no clothing shops around because you know they're all taken over by BLOOD EATING ZOMBIES! But, that beside the point. It'll be interesting to see if they continue Left 4 Dead as a series type game, and eventually they'll make one where all characters meet each other. That would be interesting.
love_her_freida_pinto
No way!

The first Left 4 Dead was and still is awesome but why would Valve produce Left 4 Dead 2 so soon after the first release? It really is an outrage. They haven't spent a lot of time upgrading or improving on the first game but now they are already preparing for the second? What about the people playing the L4D number 1? We feel cut that we paid for the first but now have to get a second instead of having an update. Once the second game comes out, most of the time spent improving will go to L4D 2 instead of L4D. Valve and the makers messed it up and they better do something about it fast. They are potentially losing a whole lot of fans/customers angry (it sure makes me). I might consider joining the Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott group...... Evil or Very Mad
eday2010
Yet another zombie game? Yet another first person shooter. No thanks. There are too many of both of those types of games already. I am not interested in any more. I'd rather play something light hearted and fun looking than yet another dark, drab, gory game. I'm not 12.
achowles
eday2010 wrote:
Yet another zombie game? Yet another first person shooter. No thanks. There are too many of both of those types of games already. I am not interested in any more. I'd rather play something light hearted and fun looking than yet another dark, drab, gory game. I'm not 12.

So bright, happy, fun games aren't aimed at kids and 18 rated games aren't aimed at adults. Riiiight. If you're not at all interested, simply don't respond rather than going out of your way to make yourself look like an idiot.
achowles
love_her_freida_pinto wrote:
No way!

The first Left 4 Dead was and still is awesome but why would Valve produce Left 4 Dead 2 so soon after the first release? It really is an outrage. They haven't spent a lot of time upgrading or improving on the first game but now they are already preparing for the second? What about the people playing the L4D number 1? We feel cut that we paid for the first but now have to get a second instead of having an update. Once the second game comes out, most of the time spent improving will go to L4D 2 instead of L4D. Valve and the makers messed it up and they better do something about it fast. They are potentially losing a whole lot of fans/customers angry (it sure makes me). I might consider joining the Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott group...... Evil or Very Mad

Well, Left 4 Dead 2 is the content they promised for Left 4 Dead. So, in a way they were doing really well with supporting Left 4 Dead... Right up until the point at which they decided to release this free DLC as a whole new game. Yeah. So, OK fine, they went overboard with the DLC. But to make it a whole new overpriced game?! Not the kind of decision you get to retain your integrity after making.
driftingfe3s
achowles wrote:
love_her_freida_pinto wrote:
No way!

Well, Left 4 Dead 2 is the content they promised for Left 4 Dead. So, in a way they were doing really well with supporting Left 4 Dead... Right up until the point at which they decided to release this free DLC as a whole new game. Yeah. So, OK fine, they went overboard with the DLC. But to make it a whole new overpriced game?! Not the kind of decision you get to retain your integrity after making.

Yeah, it sucks for having to pay for something that should of been in the original game in the first place. I hope it won't be a full priced game if it's going to be basically the same as the first game with a few extras. Still the first Left 4 Dead was really fun, hopefully they can further improve the game without making it seem like a crappy add on.
Ccsteph22
L4D rocks, love the game, I have it on my steam account too Laughing
lethaltriad
Another version already? I really can't say i mind that much once its as good as the original one or better.
weableandbob
Looks good, although it's annoying how many people are angry about it. There's even a group of people who have decided to boycott the game because they think Valve screwed them over with L4d 1 (it is a bit content dry, but it's still a great game).
Agent ME
I borrowed L4D from a friend a few weeks ago. I considered buying it up until they announced the next one. Maybe I'm just slow at buying games, but at this rate I'm never going to buy a game from Valve. I mean, L4D was content-low and still a standard-price game as it was.
sourojit
Agent ME wrote:
I borrowed L4D from a friend a few weeks ago. I considered buying it up until they announced the next one. Maybe I'm just slow at buying games, but at this rate I'm never going to buy a game from Valve. I mean, L4D was content-low and still a standard-price game as it was.

I also borrowed it from a friend and tried it out. It is a nice game, really nice as a multiplayer game. And in the single player mode, i was really thilled by the element of surprise attacks..
achowles
weableandbob wrote:
Looks good, although it's annoying how many people are angry about it. There's even a group of people who have decided to boycott the game because they think Valve screwed them over with L4d 1 (it is a bit content dry, but it's still a great game).

Yeah, as I stated above, L4D2 was meant to be free content for L4D. That's why people are refusing to pay for it.
Vladalf
I'm very surprised of Valve at the moment. Their games have allways had great succes and have been fantastic, the Half Life series are masterpieces by me! But why release the L4D games so soon one after another? Is this crysis actually affecting them and their Steam? I'm puzzled... Maybe it's a joke and they've actually announced HL2:Ep3? No chances...
Vlad
achowles
Vladalf wrote:
I'm very surprised of Valve at the moment. Their games have allways had great succes and have been fantastic, the Half Life series are masterpieces by me! But why release the L4D games so soon one after another? Is this crysis actually affecting them and their Steam? I'm puzzled... Maybe it's a joke and they've actually announced HL2:Ep3? No chances...
Vlad

I doubt Valve have been hit by the recession much. If anything, Steam is doing better than ever. This year they've already had a lot of Steam-only major releases like Dawn of War 2, Empire Total War and FEAR 2.

One theory I had was that this was due to pressure from EA (their publisher) to release at least one title annually. Due to their constant failure to release Ep3 and the fact that Portal 2 is likely to be some way off, they may have simply decided to take the DLC they were making for L4D, increase the content and release it as another title. Although that still doesn't explain why they think that charging full price for it is a good idea.
vaoger
well i think the left 4 dead is a great game if play with other people...
boomer, witch, hunter and smoker... are intresting.. every time you play the game.. it will be totally different...
Tanker too..

i think they release so fast ... left 4 dead 2 may due to it boting/AI system, from the AI producer they said that they spend a lot of time develop the sytem but they found out that the system is very easy modified and become the new version for example the boomer suppose to "boom" and cause damage to the "boom" and targeted... is cool n it take only couple of hour to do that.. couple of hour new version came out...

reedit:
Sure... if it come out.. it is a must buy if you plan to play it with many friend...
SunD3R
hmm... luckily i bought L4D when it was on sale otherwise i would have had to have paid an extra 30 bucks. But overall it is a great exciting game which is even better when you are with friends. However, with the release of Left 4 Dead 2, i believe that Valve will be losing some very important people - their fans/customers.

But then again, the daylight missions, incendiary ammo and wandering witches may be worth it. i don't know.
Vladalf
After checking out this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgEufZppH8s I'm still not really excited but the new gameplay mod cought my attention. What do you guys think it will be? Maybe something more... sandboxy?
Vlad
achowles
Vladalf wrote:
After checking out this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgEufZppH8s I'm still not really excited but the new gameplay mod cought my attention. What do you guys think it will be? Maybe something more... sandboxy?
Vlad

Something that wasn't so completely linear would be good. Where you could choose your own path to the safe house. They did try that with the first one, but apparently people kept getting lost. So they split up the routes into different maps.
achowles
Valve have produced a new campaign for L4D due out next month. It's called Crash Course and it acts as a bridge between No Mercy and Death Toll. So I'm guessing that, from the name, that helicopter you board in No Mercy crashes. That's not usually the kind of occurrence that four people get to walk away from, so we'll have to see how that's implemented. Crash Course has all the gameplay modes you'd expect and apparently offers a better versus mode.

I don't know if this is the first of the new content (survival pack doesn't count as it was all recycled), or if this is more an attempt to make it look like they're supporting L4D to make the prospect of buying L4D 2 all the more tempting. We'll have to see. I'm still not convinced by L4D2's need to be a whole new game. But six or seven campaigns for L4D and it will certainly start to feel like it's worth the price tag. The present content takes 4 hours to complete. Expecting at least 6 hours seems perfectly reasonable.

Unfortunately, Microsoft are not keen to let Valve release this for free on 360 like they are on PC. So there will be some points involved in acquiring this DLC on 360. PC owners will most likely see their copies updated with the new content automatically through Steam.