FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

So, what anti virus protection do you use?

andrewmoquin
I've had Norton for years but they're starting to **** me off. My subscription has expired but I notice when I click on renew it takes me to their website and a renewal costs $39.99. But if I simply do a search for antivirus programs, I can download the entire new 2009 Norton antivirus for ten bucks less. Why are these people trying to gouge existing customers and not new customers? It ****es me off. It's just enough for me to never use Norton again.

So what antivirus do you use and why?
badai
use eset nod 32.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eset#Technology

Code:
ESET is the first company to receive 54 VB100 awards from Virus Bulletin and has not missed a single threat in Virus Bulletin's tests in the past six years.

they are not cheap, but not that expensive like norton. they have trial version, but kind of hard to download, where you need to submit your e-mail address and they will send you login/password to download and update virus database for 1 month.

it seem that they don't care if any new user want to evaluate their software first before buying. well, they can do that because any user that ever use their product surely will vouch for itt, and maybe that's the only way for them to grow their customer base.

i'm pretty sure it's working for them.
FrightKnight
I use Avira Antivir. Free and very powerful. I never had a virus problem for almost 2 years now. Thanks Avira.. Very Happy
badai
i agree. the only thing is why their virus database update is so big?

FrightKnight wrote:
I use Avira Antivir. Free and very powerful. I never had a virus problem for almost 2 years now. Thanks Avira.. Very Happy
snowynight
Why not use avast?
This is less powerful but will never pop up unwanted ads. It's user friendly too.
pumpin
I was using Eset NOD32 but it stopped updating.....So i switched over to Avast though cost a little but i think it is worth it Exclamation

Updates regularly and kills all known forms of viruses--don't know about the unknown anyway.
tobenna
I use Avira Antivirus and also use BitDefender Antivirus also with McAffe antivirus on the same system and well I hardly get virus attacks so far as I keep on updating them.
imagefree
i use no Antivirus, but after facing lots of viruses atacking my pc, i started using Opera and Configured my PC's registry to stop autorun files. Now my PC is safe from virises unless i myself run an exe file.

To protect my collection of software, i keep them compresses in rar format (not zip). And finally, i do not use software that are not trusted.
ankitdatashn
at present I use avast antivirus, but seriously speaking its good for nothing, my computer is flooded with viruses every now and then.

Previously I had Mcafee installed, It was slow, consumed a lot of resourses but for sure it was far better than the present one.

I don't know what to do with my computer now, I will defragment the computer if the systenm performance becomes more poor. The virus spreads on every pendrive I attach to the system.
LostOverThere
I'm currently using Ad-Aware: Plus and highly recommend it. It's relatively cheap compared to Norton or Trend Micro, and the scan times are incredibly quick.
Hogwarts
Virus scanners? Whatever would you need those for? Too bloaty for me, they generally slow down the speed of your computer dramatically.

Of course, I only use Debian's software repositories; and don't allow anything I don't trust to run at a high level on my computer (i.e. as root). Oh, I suppose the fact that I use a Linux distribution in the first place is a contributing factor Wink

(Although, I do have somewhat of a firewall, in that I block all ports that I'm not sure of from iptables. That's a major security bonus ^^)
goutha
I'm using Avira Antivir Personal. It's light and do the job.
Zombie
I use a combination of Norton 10 and AVG Free. It works great for me. What norton doesn't catch, avg will.
prithvi
I have been using the AVG Pro version for over a year now.
Nick2008
I use McAfee, it came free with my ISP anyways.
FrightKnight
snowynight wrote:
Why not use avast?
This is less powerful but will never pop up unwanted ads. It's user friendly too.

I use avast only if I need to remove a virus before the OS loads - very effective on that. But after its job is done, I still stick with Antivir.

Cheers!
FrightKnight
badai wrote:
i agree. the only thing is why their virus database update is so big?

I don't know about that. I don't think its that big - maybe because I've never used any other antivirus for almost 3 years now so I can't compare its DB update. I like the umbrella thing as its logo. It's cool. More power to Antivir!
sana618
i used to have AVG before, but nowadays i use Avira Antivir. i haven't had any trouble with viruses since i started using this anti virus.
deanhills
I used to use Norton most of my computer life. I know some of my friends really had problems with Norton as it was intrusive and sometimes conflicted with software. I was always aware of Norton Virus on my computer as every now and then it reminded me of things and when it did my computer would go slower on me. Last year when I purchased a new computer my friend who put it together for me (it is a generic computer made of all kinds of different parts), he recommended Kasperksy as being totally different from Norton Virus in that it does not interfere with other operations. I have had Kaspersky since last year July and it has been effortless, I'm totally unaware of it. So far no virusses. Even with having Norton Virus, I would still get a Virus now and then. Not with Kaspersky. So I would recommend Kaspersky for anyone who would like to make a change from Norton Virus:

This is a link to Kaspersky in the US:
http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_services/anti-virus.php?c_id=FDS_SSP_PLP_AV
Nameless
Primarily, I use common sense.
biljap
I use Kaspersky Internet Security. What I like about it is that it scans software for possible vulnerabilities and gives you a link where you can update that software to newer version. Also, all of other anti virus software Iíve tried were starting with Windows, I donít like that. I prefer to have choice to run it automatically, but also to keep it turned off until I decide to turn it on. It also has a firewall so I donít have to worry about it, either. Full scan is quick; I donít feel that it slows down my workÖ Iím very satisfied with it.
Iíve also used ESET NOD32 for a long time and I never have any problems with it, I didnít get any virusÖ But NOD32 made some of my programs to stop working without letting me know with any type of message. Iíve spent days trying to find a cause of problem and it was NOD.
hamza1122
I use Zonealarm anti virus security suite. By the way, i've seen this topic been posted on forums so many times now. getting a bit old...i think i've seen it in frihost.com forum as well but meh.
Vrythramax
I currently use Symantec Endpoint Protection, I have been using Symantec (Norton) products (mostly corporate versions) for many years and so far the money the have saved me in total data loss has far out-weighed the expense of the software.

I don't really know if one program is better than the other, if you keep the virus dat files updated regularly they should work pretty much the same.

I guess it really comes down to personal preference and amount of money you wish to spend.
JBotAlan
I myself do not use any antivirus package for my own benefit (I run ClamAV to check out Windows drives while they are offline). Since I am using Ubuntu GNU/Linux, I don't have any virus problems.

However, when I used Windows, and whenever I work on a family or friend's Windows box, I load AVG Free. It used to be great, but now it is getting a bit bloat-y. I don't know why they did that...but I don't think the virus protection aspect of it was changed.

Now, I've seen a LOT of people recommend NOD32, so that is definitely something I am willing to try...if I ever go back to Windows! Hah!

Norton is horrible. Resource hog, and I removed it and directly afterward installed AVG, and it detected several hundred viruses on a system Norton said was fine. I will never trust another Symantec product because of this epic failure of a virus package.

JBot
pll
I do not use any antivirus softwares on my windows machine. I'm just trying to take care of what I download...
When I have to use my credit card number I always do it on my mac so I don't need any anti-viruses.
ProfessorY91
Wow. Lots of posts. I'm going to throw in one more for Avast Antivirus. Free, doesn't bother you about updating, it just does it. Doesn't kill your memory when it updates itself. Actually turns itself off and doesn't run background crap when you want it off... and has never messed with any other software on my computer.

Go Avast.
anakin_skyrunner
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Wow. Lots of posts. I'm going to throw in one more for Avast Antivirus. Free, doesn't bother you about updating, it just does it. Doesn't kill your memory when it updates itself. Actually turns itself off and doesn't run background crap when you want it off... and has never messed with any other software on my computer.

Go Avast.

I use Avast as well, prior to that I had Antivir by Avira (the one with the red umbrella), it missed 12 (!) trojans on my computer, beasts Avast detected instantly.
Ryox
I use AVG Free, I have it to schedule daily scan's so I am protected with that, I have ZoneAlarm Professional which is free. :3
amperx
im using avira antivir, its free and powerfull too, and i think its not a resource hog compared to when i used avg free before
halilibo
i am using a powerful combination of anti-virus softwares

to protect my pc from normal viruses, i use: Eset NOD32

to protect my pc from USB Memory Viruses, i use: USB Security

and for an additional Security i am using Combofix.

Now my computer is fully protected against viruses.

Very HappyVery Happy
Playrubikcube
i am using nod32 works great for me!
Chinmoy
kaspersky is definitely the best. I use it full time now. Initially i used to have avira but they could not provide basic features like a trusted zone...
liliansi
I use NOD32 and Ad-Aware for malware. Since few months ago I used Avast, great and free, but gave me a lot of false positive!
lethaltriad
I use Avast Anti virus right now, the home edition. ALl you have to do is register for a program key every year and its free for use. Updates automatically and you can but it on silent mode so it auto updates and checks your system for you.
paulotlet
I use kaspersky and i have to search for a new key every week but even with this problem I still think he is the best antivirus

for those who don't chose your antivirus yet here comes a comparative from virus.gr

Rank

1. G DATA 2008 version 18.2.7310.844 - 99.05%

2. F-Secure 2008 version 8.00.103 - 98.75%

3. TrustPort version 2.8.0.1835 - 98.06%

4. Kaspersky version 8.0.0.357 - 97.95%

5. eScan version 9.0.742.1 - 97.44%

6. The Shield 2008 - 97.43%

7. AntiVir version 8.1.00.331 Premium - 97.13%

8. Ashampoo version 1.61 - 97.09%

9. Ikarus version 1.0.82 - 96.05%

10. AntiVir version 8.1.00.295 Classic - 95.54%

11. AVG version 8.0.100 Free - 94.85%

12. BitDefender 2008 version 11.0.16 - 94.70%

13. Avast version 4.8.1201 Professional - 93.78%

14. Nod32 version 3.0.650.0 - 93.36%

15. F-Prot version 6.0.9.1 - 91.87%

16. BitDefender version 10 Free - 91.32%

17. ArcaVir 2008 - 88.65%

18. Norman version 5.92.08 - 87.72%

19. Vba32 version 3.12.6.6 - 87.21%

20. McAfee Enterpise version 8.5.0i - 86.57%

21. McAfee version 12.0.177 - 86.39%

22. Rising AV version 20.46.52 - 85.87%

23. Norton 2008 - 83.34%

24. Dr. Web version 4.44.5 - 82.87%

25. Antiy Ghostbusters version 5.2.3 - 80.23%

26. VirusBuster version 5.002.62 - 77.19%

27. Outpost version 6.0.2294.253.0490 - 75.35%

28. V3 Internet Security version 2008.05.31.00 - 75.23%

29. ViRobot Expert version 5.5 - 74.50%

30. Virus Chaser version 5.0a - 73.65%

31. A-squared Anti-Malware version 3.5 - 71.66%

32. PC Tools version 4.0.0.26 - 69.82%

33. Trend Micro Antivirus+Antispyware 2008 version 16.10.1079 - 67.28%

34. Iolo version 4.325 - 63.98%

34. Panda 2008 version 3.01.00 - 61.41%

36. Sophos Sweep version 7.3.2 - 54.71%

37. ClamWin version 0.93 - 54.68%

38. CA Anti-Virus version 9.00.170 - 51.08%

39. Quick Heal version 9.50 - 47.97%

40. Comodo version 2.0.17.58 - 43.15%

41. Trojan Hunter version 5.0.962 - 31.39%

42. Solo version 7.0 - 21.10%

43. Protector Plus version 8.0.C03 - 20.14%

44. PCClear version 1.0.8.0 - 19.63%

45. AntiTrojan Shield version 2.1.0.14 - 14.74%

46. Trojan Remover version 6.6.9 - 13.49%

47. VirIT version 6.2.94 - 8.63%

48. True Sword version 4.2 - 3.42%

49. Abacre έκδοση version 1.4 - 0.00%
guggs
AVG 8.5. I've been using AVG for quite a few years now and it has kept all the nasties off my machine so far. I recommend it to other people who are fed up with the Norton performance clout.
sanalskumar
I use Kaspersky. Its perfectly working for me...
htmltesten
My protection ist:

Avast! 4 home
Threatfire

And scanner
Malwarebytes antimalware
Adaware
Spybot
Bielhelm
I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and Bitdefender 2009 . I have many pcs.
So all AV Programs are running well.
But: if you are getting infected by a polymorph Virus like the "Virut"-Class.. begin to pray!
All datas can be lost. It could be that in 5 Minutes you copy about 14000 Viruses on your
harddrive! And there is NO solution to clean up the mess in time. It lasted 14 days till it
was possible for me to run my pc without getting heart-attacks!

If you got nothing on your PC: get the free Version of Avira Antivirus. It better than nothing and
use SpywareSearch and Destroy for maximum Freeware-Security.
hunnyhiteshseth
For me Avast - especially the new version 5 is the best!
rayxzero
I'm using microsoft essentials with UAC turn on.
Aulos
I have to say, Kaspersky is brilliant. Haven't had a problem since I installed it.
ahnguye5
I use Microsoft Security Essentials. As a non-noob computer user, an antivirus has to be nonintrusive and lightweight if I'm going to use it. I've only used AVG Free 9.0 before this and I feel like my laptop is a bit faster loading the desktop because MSE is that much more light. Maybe I'm biased.

I also feel that Microsoft should have the upper hand in creating an antivirus for their OS. But then again, no one uses their browser. Bottom line, it's free protection and it's not annoying.
thnn
On Windows I use Microsoft Security Essentials. I have in the passed used Norton, NOD32, AVG and Avast. I found NOD32 very very good, but have not used it for about 5 or 6 years.

I find MSE to be lightweight, and it appears to use about only 4MB of RAM when doing a scan.
Also when I installed MSE it detected a virus that had been sitting idle on my machine, that Avast hadn't picked up in all the time I had it installed.

Alot of it comes down to personal preference, and how much you want to pay.
Furuya
Hmm... i am using the Antivirus that full of chinese character that i dont understand abit....
i think it is call as "360 kill poison" <--- google translate...
weird name but it is better than Avast, Avira... and its free..
i think 360.cn is its webpage...
ribozon
avira antivirus is pretty good and enough for me ^^
silverdown
I use to use Free Av (avira) but i got a new WIN7 comptuer and it came with Norton so i just paid to have it upgraded.. NO iw illl not give you keys.. just for alll those beggers Smile Laughing
welshsteve
I always used AVG up until I decided to try out paid for software. I found Kaspersky superb. Not intrusive on your system at all, and if anything, it speeded up my system once it had settled down. A brilliant bit of software. I have a laptop which is running Comodo Internet Security Suite, completely free and brilliant protection. System can be quite slow to begin with, and it does slow down older computers a little (lack of RAM), but the protection is second to none in the free market I feel.
FunDa
silverdown wrote:
I use to use Free Av (avira) but i got a new WIN7 comptuer and it came with Norton so i just paid to have it upgraded.. NO iw illl not give you keys.. just for alll those beggers Smile Laughing

Norton ? Is it good ? I remember how Norton used to slow down the computer terribly, but that was a few years back.

Have they removed their bloatware now or is it still the same Norton and Symantec ?
Nick2008
Avast... seems to work, has blocked trojans. The safest antivirus is to browse safely though, WOT and SiteAdvisor are great addys for your browser, first line of defense really.
dazzsser
KAspersky internet security ftw! I use it and i am impressed!
samuelk
Eset smart security
gtsmatrix
I use Nortons, I did use Avast at one time but thought everything was a virus and didnt help much.
justinau
I checked cnet.com for most popular lists of downloads and I found there are a lot of antivirus software out there, I use avast for a while but then it asks me for paying and uninstall Im trying with ZenOK Free Antivirus and for antivirus is good.
FunDa
justinau wrote:
I checked cnet.com for most popular lists of downloads and I found there are a lot of antivirus software out there, I use avast for a while but then it asks me for paying and uninstall Im trying with ZenOK Free Antivirus and for antivirus is good.

here are only 3 relatively good free antivirus software that I have used.

Avast

AVG

Avira Antivir

Of these, Avast has a cool interface like a music player, AVG has a lot of extra stuff(some not necessary for some people), Avira works well but has a huge ad that pops up in between.
portoskt
i dont have any antivirus or firewall program on this computer, and also i dont have any problems with security... you guys just need to be careful what web pages you visit, thats all
domz
i used mcafee before
i used symantec/norton before
i usedAVG before
i used avast before
i used Eset before
i used kaspersky before...

currently i am using avira (the free version)
because it can detect some viruses/trojans that others cannot.

but i believe that some viruses or trojans or malware are created by some these companies just to keep the money flowing in... Razz
domz
FunDa wrote:

Of these, Avast has a cool interface like a music player, AVG has a lot of extra stuff(some not necessary for some people), Avira works well but has a huge ad that pops up in between.

There is a way to remove that annoying pop-up from avira free:

1. run secpol.msc
2. under software restriction policies create an additional rule to disallow "avnotify.exe" to run.

This will stop that banner. works all the time.
if you want to know how to do it step by step.. google it. Smile
soprafazertestes
In Windows I used Avira, great and free...
In Mac I used "Nothing" heheheh
FunDa
domz wrote:
FunDa wrote:

There is a way to remove that annoying pop-up from avira free:

1. run secpol.msc
2. under software restriction policies create an additional rule to disallow "avnotify.exe" to run.

This will stop that banner. works all the time.
if you want to know how to do it step by step.. google it. Smile

Hehe .. that was helpful. I wonder if the Avira people realize that annoying the hell out of your users is not going to make them buy the full version. Users would simply uninstall and use another free antivirus even if it was not as good as Avira.
SultanMA
Just give ESET nod32 4 a try , and u will see the difference
FunDa
SultanMA wrote:
Just give ESET nod32 4 a try , and u will see the difference

NOD32 is very good. But I always go for the free softwares.

Right now I think Avast Free with the sandbox feature is very very good.
gregsashinsky
I use Avira Antivir. Free and very powerful.
Wink
lovelyviki
Kaspersky Antivirus
i think it is very good.
Davidbroad
Nothing.........i use Ubuntu Smile
FunDa
Davidbroad wrote:
Nothing.........i use Ubuntu Smile

Then use CAV antivirus !

But not necessary.

Smile

My school shifted from Windows XP to Ubuntu in our library, and that alone stopped all the virus infections that had been going on for years

(They had legal copies of Windows XP, but didn't get funds to upgrade to Vista or Windows 7)

Ubuntu was free and did everything that was expected of a library computer.
(which meant we could not play Second Life or World of Warcraft from the library
Laughing Laughing )

But we could download stuff and make presentations and stuff, and do email and browsing faster.
welshsteve
If you are looking to purchase new security software, I would highly recommend Kaspersky Internet Security. If you're looking for free security software, I would go with Comodo Internet Security or Microsoft Securoty Essentials. Maybe Avast, which is also pretty good.
Amann
andrewmoquin wrote:
I've had Norton for years but they're starting to **** me off. My subscription has expired but I notice when I click on renew it takes me to their website and a renewal costs $39.99. But if I simply do a search for antivirus programs, I can download the entire new 2009 Norton antivirus for ten bucks less. Why are these people trying to gouge existing customers and not new customers? It ****es me off. It's just enough for me to never use Norton again.

So what antivirus do you use and why?

I you want free one go for AVG or else Bitdefender or Kaspersky... i share a good experiences with Bitdefender but it a little bit resource hog... but i havnt tried Bitdefender 2012 ....
ExMachina
The free version of Avast! antivirus has never steered me wrong, my computer remains virus free. Very Happy
ankur209
Nothing is best than Avast Antivirus Internet security ! I've been using Avast from last 5 years ! and i'm happy with it ! Laughing
therimalaya
Currently i'm using none... If you use ghost or snapshot backup of your system, It is better not to use antivirus. They just make computer slow by scanning unnecessarily. But some this they are useful to remove virus form flash drive when the virus is a bit tough.
User_X
Been using BullGuard for about 8-9 yrs now. I like it very much but wish they would stop making it so shiny. I recon that's good for the masses though. It's high configurable too. You can make your own rules & exceptions in the firewall if you want.

http://www.bullguard.com/products/bullguard-internet-security-12.aspx

Reviews (and yes it's real as negatives are allowed)
http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.bullguard-internet-security.co.uk

http://www.bullguard.com/about.aspx

60 day free trial

3-PC licence

Antivirus

Firewall

Spamfilter (I disable this)

Safe Browsing (I disable this)

Game Mode (I disable this - Not a gamer)

Parental Control (New - I disable this)

Vulnerability Scanner (I disable this but has alerted my on a couple of updates I needed when testing it)

PC Tune Up (New - I disable this - Haven't tried it yet)

5 GB Backup

Support (Live chat, or email) They have a nice forum to for help.

They take some of the best programs out there & place it in their own GUI

Seems like a plug but I receive no compensation for it. I'm just a happy BG user is all
mirushi
I'm using avast!
It's free and very good antivirus software!
mukesh
I suggest you only Microsoft Security essential if you can use because this is too much better then other free or paid antivirus.

This time i have two paid (with license) antivirus but according to me both are fail because this both paid antivirus working fine but memory use to much so in this condition CPU performance not well done.
But Microsoft Security essential working fine and use memory + CPU normal.
rjraaz
As my Mcafee licence has been expired last month, i purchase AVG Total Security 2012.
FunDa
rjraaz wrote:
As my Mcafee licence has been expired last month, i purchase AVG Total Security 2012.

Are the paid antiviruses really worth it ?

Even after scanning my USB pen drive with Avast AND AVG (on 2 different computer, there was a virus in it that entered my Windows system Sad Shocked
billlam
I suggest you to choose ESET NOD32 though it's bothering to update.
LegendVPN
I use avast!. It's pretty good.
kmontano
All my windows machines have the free microsoft security essentials on it and that seems to do an excellent job keeping things clean.
LegendVPN
kmontano wrote:
All my windows machines have the free microsoft security essentials on it and that seems to do an excellent job keeping things clean.

I use microsoft but I don't think I've ever encountered that. Does it have a specific name? Perhaps I might have encountered but just dud not notice it.
therimalaya
Why not to use free version of antivirus. I'm using avast, it is working fine. I'm also using panda cloud in another computer, it is also working fine. You just need to update the program and its virus definition regularly.
Ankhanu
I just take some care in what I install and use on my systems. I haven't had the need of a constantly running virus scanner in years (while using Windows, I don't use one at all on my Mac or Linux systems).
It's amazing how effective a little judgment can be as an anti-virus; and it doesn't even use up any system resources!
Vanilla
I have used Norton (around 2004), AVG, McAfee, Kaspersky and since 2010 I've been using Avira combined with Spybot. I don't have many virus related problems since I use Opera, but I really like Avira because it doesn't slow down my computer. Very Happy
meiz
Now i'm using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free version. Smile
sixstring_psycho
meiz wrote:
Now i'm using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free version. Smile

I have recently downloaded Malwarebytes and it caught a few viruses that Advanced System Care (Free Version) didn't. I keep ASC for the other utilities though. I also use Comodo's firewall (Free Version) and no conflicts between any of the programs.

I like to run scans even if my computer is not acting up... just in case!
kta_fh
I got Norton Internet Security by Symantec. I also got keypresses being eaten at times. Also, IE new tab takes ages to open. I guess it's the security working here Wink
deanhills
I first used Norton Anti-Virus and then because it became much too heavy, interfering with the functions of my computer to the extent of slowing it down, a few years ago changed to Kaspersky. Kaspersky at the time I changed was very light and extremely good. Did not interfere with my computer firewall or processes. Then in 2010 it started to get heavy with every new version, and last year, when I had my hard disk reformatted, the technician recommended Norton Anti-Virus instead of Kaspersky, saying that Norton is now the better one again. I did not have much of a choice as Norton was the only product he carried, so the verdict is still out on Norton's for me. So far so good however.
Chellesei
I'm using Avast Internet Security. It does a great job in protecting my computer. Smile
I sometimes encounter lots of threats but thanks to Avast~ My computer is free from any virus. Wink
hakaner
After 1 year F-Secure, now I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials + Zemana AntiLogger.
Cosmoslayer
I always go for free and currently I'm using AVG. Smile
gaconex
kaspersky is number one.....bis bis...
avast using too much RAM
avira and avg can't kill virus on my pc...lol
Navigator
imagefree wrote:
i use no Antivirus, but after facing lots of viruses atacking my pc, i started using Opera and Configured my PC's registry to stop autorun files. Now my PC is safe from virises unless i myself run an exe file.

To protect my collection of software, i keep them compresses in rar format (not zip). And finally, i do not use software that are not trusted.

This is interesting, mind sharing how you configured the registry?
FunDa
Navigator wrote:
imagefree wrote:

This is interesting, mind sharing how you configured the registry?

Thatsounds like good tips. Can you help me with the disabling of autorun.

So many viruses run when u double click to open a pen drive !!

No matter how many times I tell, somebody or the other double clicks and infects our classs computer system.

If autorun is disabled from the registry it should not be a problem anymore
danijellipsans
at this moment, and few months ago, at my both computers i use eset smart security, and im very satisfied
LostOverThere
gaconex wrote:
kaspersky is number one.....bis bis...
avast using too much RAM
avira and avg can't kill virus on my pc...lol

Yeah, I used to use avast years ago but it was a bit of a resource hog. Although, this may have changed?

Personally, Microsoft Security Essentials is enough for me. Couple that with Comodo Firewall and you're good to go. Man, I love free software...
heimi
Microsoft Security Essentials is enough
mukesh
danijellipsans wrote:
at this moment, and few months ago, at my both computers i use eset smart security, and im very satisfied

In one system me too using eset good performance. But Microsoft Securitry Essential is too much better performance and using rand and cpu very low so according to me Microsoft Securitry Essential first choice. Smile
infinity_xpeed
AVG Best
toingmail
i use ess its good av and firewall to
dude_xyx
Anyone has tried Comodo Antivirus ? It's free and pretty good. I have been using it for a while now. But usually I scan my computer with couple of free online virus scanners like Eset online virus scanner etc.
infinity_xpeed
list ur best choice webcam software
amagard
I use Avira Antivir, the free version. So far works very good, but the 2012 version seems to become more annoying reminding me to get the pro version. I have not figured out how to turn that off permanently.
May be I give Microsoft Security Essential a trial. I installed it on my wife's computer and so far this seems to work great as well.
blueray
I am downloaded and testing the lastest version Avast free antivirus and it runs fine.
It uses more memory than mcafee. I try my best to reduce its usage.

Then, I hope I can try out the new version - Bitdefender Total Security 2013.
I saw a site that gave it 5 stars and commented it outstanding.
So, it is one of my test list.
darthrevan
My current antivirus is... Linux Smile J/k; If I was using Windows, my antivirus application would be either Avast or Avira. I tend to like Avast the most. Though I trust both of them. Some people seem to love AVG but IMO it is more bloated and some test shown that Avira and Avast ranked higher on the detection rate.

Of course both of those are free: avast.com and avira.com
kmr_mukund
i m currently using microsoft free antivirus. this antivirus i am using from 3 year.it give all the facility as other primium antivirus give.i think it is the best free antivirus.
nepalstar
Currently I'm using NOD32 Antivirus 5, it much handy than other antivirus software I used.. It's easy to install and update, since I got this antivirus I'm using it and I'm quite satisfied with this.
dude_xyx
Anyone use Panda Could here ? Some of my friends complain it slow down computer. Wonder if it's true.
TheLimey
Avast me hearties! lol
senolsenolx
avg free antivirus best
Possum
Microsoft Security Essentials. MS should know by now how to protect their system..
milkshake01
I don't use any anti-virus because I'm using a mac. But there is still a very small risk of getting infected with a virus.
zaxacongrejo
This thread can end up being a security risk to those that posted here what defenses they have. You never know who is behind the pc

watch this
samanyolu07
I use Norton 360. It's really best.
RosenCruz
Avira at work and nothing at home, currently
andro_king
I currently have Avast internet security on my personal computer which is running Windows and i have Avast mobile security for my mobile device which is running on Android.
rx9876
I used norton antivirus corp which was de-supported few years ago for over 10 years.
It's virus update temp files are piling up to more than 4G in my hard disk,
and the auto purging is not working.
Every day my computer will be freeze more than 30 minutes for schedule update.
I uninstalled it yesterday, and use Avira for instead.
I'm not sure this is a good decision or not.
Just wait and see.
Arrogant
I used to use Nod32 but the license expired.
Then i shifted to Avira. That was good
But Kaspersky is better.
I think the antivirus software makes computer even slower than the virus..