FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cricket Star :: converted to Muslim ::

afzal
Sunday September 18, 2005-- Shaaban 13, 1426 A.H.

Quote:
Youhana announces conversion to Islam

By Arshad Ansari

LAHORE: Pakistan cricket star Yousaf Youhana announced on Saturday that he had embraced Islam.

After offering Isha prayers at the house of Pakistan Hardware Merchants Association President Sheikh Imran Daud, Yousaf said he had embraced Islam three years back but he kept it secret due to unavoidable circumstances.

The top cricketer said there would be no non-Muslim in Pakistan provided the Muslims became true believers and start following in the footsteps of Hazrat Muhammad . "This will also tend to initiate a global wave about embracing Islam by the non-believers," he observed. "God willing, soon a day will come when Islam will be the sole supreme religion of the world," he observed.

He disclosed that his wife had also converted to Islam three months ago, and she offered prayers five times a day. "Especially, my wife and I offer Fajr prayers together," he said. Yousaf said he would bring up his children in Islamic environment and was also praying for his parents embrace Islam.

Replying to a question, he said he could not express his feeling about becoming a Muslim. He said his visits to Raiwind changed his view about life and he decided to become a Muslim. He said he was facing no pressure or fear as he believed in Almighty Allah.

He said it was not correct to conceal embracing Islam anymore as he was practically following the teachings of this divine religion. "By the grace of God, I am now very much satisfied and feeling burden-less," he added.

He said he offered daily prayers during foreign visits and also went to mosques in Dubai for saying prayers. He said nowadays he was reading translation of the Holy Qur’aan though he was facing difficulty in reading the holy book in Arabic. He hoped that he would be able to read the holy book in Arabic with ease in few months after learning it from a teacher.

source: http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/index.html
shr3dd
Quote:
God willing, soon a day will come when Islam will be the sole supreme religion of the world

I would much rather die.
xalophus
He was the only christian, and perhaps the only non-muslim in the team.
And was being terrorized by some "miscreants" - link

And there's more that your news source censors out but BBC reports -
Quote:
"I don't want to give Yousuf my name after what he has done," his mother was quoted as saying by the Daily Times newspaper.

Mohammed Yousuf's mother says she had been worried about her son's behaviour for a long time.

She blamed the brother of a former Pakistan cricket player, Saeed Anwar, for "ruining my son's life," according to the Daily Times.

Mother knows best.
And when a mother says she's worried about her son's behaviour,
Well, draw your own conclusions.

Quote:
Saeed Anwar and his brother have become Muslim preachers who preach from the platform of Tablighi Jamaat - Pakistan's largest non-political religious grouping (Saeed Anwar is a former cricket star)

Yousuf confirmed that he was a regular at the preaching sessions held by the Tablighi Jamaat.

But he told journalists that he had converted of his own free will and there was no pressure on him to do so.

Contradiction - "preaching" and "free will" don't go well together.

A lobotomised person will not regret jumping off the cliff.
It's his "own free will".

Quote:
Officials in the Pakistan cricket board say members of the Tablighi Jamaat have been visiting the board's offices and training camps regularly over the last several years.

So religious preachers who specialize in conversions are regulars at the sports camps !
I wonder who lets them in and why.

And the punch-line -
Quote:
"I cannot tell you what a great feeling it is," he told the BBC.

You know why ? Because he is
Quote:
feeling burden-less

Rolling Eyes I wonder what his "burden" was ?
Is it his sins that his former religion was unable to free him of ?

Or is it people vandalising his property and threatening his kids ?

For a moment, let's forget the debate on free will and his conversion.
But what's with all this religious advertising in a news article ?

Portraying him as a satisfied customer ? A role model ?
Glorifying a religion in the news ?
You think this is news you hear and read ?

If that's how news articles in certain countries are reported, if that the people's source of information,
The people there have no idea what free will is.

And I'm sorry if I put it very strongly.
And more than that I'm sorry for breaking it out to you.
babumuchhala
As for Youhana changing to Islam is a master straegy of sorts.Because to succede in Pakistan or as a Mater of fact any theocratic state your religion is very important. If you do not follow the National religion, you are always gonna be at the last, for sure

shr3dd wrote:
Quote:
God willing, soon a day will come when Islam will be the sole supreme religion of the world

I would much rather die.
You wouldnt have said that if u knew just about 10% about Islam.
xalophus
babumuchhala wrote:
As for Youhana changing to Islam is a master straegy of sorts.Because to succede in Pakistan or as a Mater of fact any theocratic state your religion is very important. If you do not follow the National religion, you are always gonna be at the last, for sure

shr3dd wrote:
Quote:

I would much rather die.
You wouldnt have said that if u knew just about 10% about Islam.

I agree, that's rather provocative and perhaps an overreaction.
And perhaps even some of the comments in my previous post.

But that news article hasn't been covered exactly like news.
There's a lot of clear and subtle messages entwined therein, and such media only helps in intensifying an atmosphere which is not conducive to free will.
Theocracy, as you said.
devadutta
Um.. If there is a Pakistani on this forum, or someone who is a fan of Youhana, please tell us what you and your friends(in Pakistan) feel about this. Because if such a thing happened in my country, we would probably not care..
shr3dd
I know plenty about Islam, and I believe in no "god". For one religion to be a supreme sole religion will be the demise of the world. Not every one in the world will succumb to that kind of restricted freedom. That's why America was founded, and that was over a sole supreme religion in a single country. I would rather die than to have that happen. I'm not worried though, because that would be impossible. I have studied every popular religion in the world, and if there was to be one supreme religion I would like it to be Bhuddism, that is the only true completely peaceful religion. How many radical Bhuddists do you hear about blowing anything up? They won't even kill a mosquito if it bites them. Islam isn't the only religion that produces extremists who bomb things, Christianity has it's share of nutcases too. Before you proclaim me ignorant, think twice.

I'll say it again, I'd much rather die than have one religion be the sole religion of the world.
Resident Egoist
shr3d wrote:
I'd much rather die than have one religion be the sole religion of the world.

Hmm ... so the existence of thousands of warring religious camps would be a better scenario? Isn't that what we have today -- and have had throughout history? Look at how much misery and destruction this has caused.

I for one do not care whether there is only one or a million religions in the world. I recognize everyone's right to believe all he wishes as long as he leaves me alone.
afzal
Ohk Simple Q'n ::

Who converted to Non-muslim from Muslim :: in Any team of the world ??

No one follows the team and nation but the religon which is true ...

Cool
rafifaisal
Hi Shr3dd,
Please do not judge a whole religion (with millions of followers all over the world) by looking at ONLY some extreme caracters.
First of all you should know (as you have studies the religion) that Islam does NOT teach us to be aggressive. That is even forbidden. We have to leave a discussion BEFORE we think things might get heated. Leave the judging to Allah and don't take revenge in His name.
That is point 1.

Secondly you have to notice that of all the suppressions in the world 80% are moslims. Just to give you some examples: Palestines, Iraq, Kashmir,...
The palestinians where driven from their land. Women where shot dead and children left without parents. I am sure if THAT would happen to you in your loved America you too would take revenge. I am not saying it is correct but it is understandeable. (not forgiveable though)

I am a proud muslim and I do not carry out attacks on any sort of people. Even though i experience racism EVERY day. I believe discussion is the only way to make this sick society a little more pleasant.

so please do not attack ANY religion. Attack the caracters who perform it WRONG.
sketteksalfa
he must be really pressured knowing that he's the only non-Islam in his team. but i think this should never be posted by the way. I do believe that anyone can be converted instantly whether you are a star or not, and this issue is not a big deal for me anymore..... will you post it if hes converted to a christian sect? thats my point.
freecitizen
shr3dd wrote:
Quote:

I would much rather die.

As would I.

Having been born and bred in a Muslim country for much of my life -- I can assure you that once you get a taste of what it really is to live and not be constrained by the boundries of a religious world, you wouldn't ever go back. Well, you might. But, you'd still crave freedom.

The only thing that keeps me going here is hope of a different, better world.

And I know more just 10% of Islam. I grew up Muslim. Never liked it.
HoboPelican
rafifaisal wrote:
Please do not judge a whole religion (with millions of followers all over the world) by looking at ONLY some extreme caracters.
First of all you should know (as you have studies the religion) that Islam does NOT teach us to be aggressive. That is even forbidden. We have to leave a discussion BEFORE we think things might get heated. Leave the judging to Allah and don't take revenge in His name.
That is point 1.
so please do not attack ANY religion. Attack the caracters who perform it WRONG.

Rafifaisal,

I've seen lots of contradicting statements about Islam recently. I want to believe what you said above but have seen a number of quotes from the koran that seem to dispute it's "peaceful" teachings. I am more than willing to accept the quotes were out of context and misinterpeted, since that is what people do, but could you supply a little supportive evidence for the non-aggressiveness of Islam? Quotes from religious texts would be best, since they define a religion.

And on the whole, I agree with your last line. Too often we equate the deviations of a charismatic leader to be representative of an entire religion.
freecitizen
HoboPelican wrote:
Quotes from religious texts would be best, since they define a religion.

Except there's one problem -- the Quran is full of contradictions. Full of contradictions. It's like you could pick the answer you desired depending on your mood and situation and decide that "God" is behind you. It's rather convenient.
HoboPelican
freecitizen wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:
Quotes from religious texts would be best, since they define a religion.

Except there's one problem -- the Quran is full of contradictions. Full of contradictions. It's like you could pick the answer you desired depending on your mood and situation and decide that "God" is behind you. It's rather convenient.

Same with the Bible, Right? Religious texts often seem cryptic and contradictory, that's why so many "christians" interpret the bible differently.

But, I was trying to ask someone who knows the Koran to give the positive quotes, since there are plenty of folks quoting the negative.
rafifaisal
I suggest you go to an islamic forum. There are plenty on the site. You are more likely to find someone who actually knows the quran over there and get a better answer.
No point in getting the wrong anwers.
And the quran is not full of contradictions my friends.
This is what people make of it them selves.
You all should read a translated version of the quran and judge for yourselves.
freecitizen
I've read it in both Arabic and English and have seen quite a lot of contradictions. Be peaceful in one verse, and then kill the infidels in another.
tidruG
freecitizen wrote:
I've read it in both Arabic and English and have seen quite a lot of contradictions. Be peaceful in one verse, and then kill the infidels in another.

THat's pretty much true of any religious text I've read. Love all, but kill some.
babumuchhala
As far as I know every line in Koran can be interpreted in 7 different ways. And a normal like you and me can get upto 4 meanings and the rest is for the highly spiritual (not all the krazy people who advocate fatwas and jihads)

And there is no religion that dosent have its good & bads.
rajhank
I still don't know why he did it.May he thought that if he is a muslim then only he would got the captaincy.May he was thinking this, i really dunno about it.
freecitizen
babumuchhala wrote:
As far as I know every line in Koran can be interpreted in 7 different ways. And a normal like you and me can get upto 4 meanings and the rest is for the highly spiritual (not all the krazy people who advocate fatwas and jihads)

And there is no religion that dosent have its good & bads.

Fatwas are not always bad. Fatwas simply provide better understanding of Islam's views on certain issues when it isn't clear, basically.
rafifaisal
rajhank wrote:
I still don't know why he did it.May he thought that if he is a muslim then only he would got the captaincy.May he was thinking this, i really dunno about it.

Oh man please spare me the crap that he did it for the captaincy.
In an interview he told Pakistan that he was practicing muslim for nearly three years but out of respect for his parents and family he didn't think it was the time to come out with the news.
And dont tell me he was thinking about the captaincy three years ago...
No he just saw the changings the islam brought to the team. When Inzamam started to make the prayers and religious talk a part of the pre-match preparations it made a big difference to the team.
It really had an impact on all players.
THAT is why he did it.
nnsharma
Converting or changing one's religion is really a personal choice, who are we to comment anyway?

The reason why I wanted to post something on this topic was the following line:

"God willing, soon a day will come when Islam will be the sole supreme religion of the world"

When will people start realizing that there is no point in making religions compete with one another? Different religions just present different philosophies or approaches to the same end goal, so why compete?