FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"email address will not be abused" notice on sign-

tallison
Just a thought from the perspective of a brand-new user: As I signed up the thing that made me hesitate the most was giving you my email address with no reassurances on your part that it wouldn't be sold or otherwise used to fill my already over-full inbox with messages.

I imagine you want folks like me to participate -- that's probably a choke point in the process. I was trying to figure out whether or not this whole community was just some cover for spammers and just barely tipped in your favor Wink.

- Tom
tallison
This snippet from the TOS :

Email address, name and potential other information is also collected during registration and optional subsequent forms. This information is stricly not shared with third-party websites or services.

Would be perfect right there in the registration process where you are asking for this information (if it *is* there, then consider it invisible to at least one user).

- Tom
Bondings
That's something I was thinking about and decided not to do. I mean, if someone abuses the email addresses, they would most likely deny it, so it doesn't really matter.

I was thinking that saying that the email address won't be abused, might make new users think twice about registering because it would remind them that their email address might be abused.

Of course - on the other hand - most people already fear about their email address being abused. So reassuring them that it won't be, might help, even though it doesn't really give much certainty.

I'll think about putting it there. Thanks for the suggestion.
deanhills
tallison wrote:
Just a thought from the perspective of a brand-new user: As I signed up the thing that made me hesitate the most was giving you my email address with no reassurances on your part that it wouldn't be sold or otherwise used to fill my already over-full inbox with messages.

I imagine you want folks like me to participate -- that's probably a choke point in the process. I was trying to figure out whether or not this whole community was just some cover for spammers and just barely tipped in your favor Wink.

- Tom
I signed up a year ago and why I signed up was that Frihost was a Webhost without advertising attached to the Web space. The deal was very open and upfront. In exchange for Website space we need to do postings. I automatically thought that this would be someone a little more ethical than those who are out to use everything you provide including e-mail addresses, spamming etc. And my instincts were right. Perhaps others had the same instincts?

Also, if you are concerned about "spamming", you can always create an e-mail address that is protected, i.e. sign up for an anonymous e-mail account with gmail for example for the purposes of opening an account with Frihost or any other host for that matter.

Good to be cautious though ... Smile