FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No money No travel

wanshi
No money, no travel . Do u think so?
I wanna go to many beautifull places ,but ¡­¡­money Crying or Very sad Confused
ocalhoun
There's always the military...
They'll pay you to go to exotic places, meet exotic people, and then shoot them.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
They'll pay you to go to exotic places, meet exotic people, and then shoot them.
Good one, but wonder how "exotic" the places are where the military seem to land.

The Hotel industry also comes to mind, if you can work for a large Hotel Group and then get sent to "exotic" places Smile
mtorregiani
Back on topic... I think that if you don't have too much money you can still travel. You need friends to split the expenses... and well, maybe you can't go to Hawaii, but you can try to discover your own country.
davidfromoz
I guess it depends on what you mean by travel. Where do you want to go and for how long?

I am sure there are plenty of great places you can go locally at very little cost. Pack a tent, buy some cheap simple food at the supermarket. Perhaps hitchhike.

Go and stay with a friend. Maybe host them at your place when they want to travel.

As others have mentioned get a job that allows you to travel. Depends a bit on where you live and what kind of skills you have. But as others have mentioned the military and hospitality offer such chances.

Almost any organization that sells things requires travel from time to time. People travel to sell things, people travel to teach people about the product and how to use it, people travel to fix the product etc. Actually many times people don't like jobs that involve a lot of travel because they don't want to be away from friends and family. Many people take such jobs for a while when young to travel.

For some of us an overseas job teaching English is an option. If you are a native speaker of English you should be able to find a school that will help you with relocation costs to go and teach for a while. There are plenty of people in Asia who have spent years traveling till they run out of money and then spend another stint teaching.

Money makes things much easier. But in almost all cases the two factors are money and time. When you have the time you might not have the money and when you have the money you probably wont have the time to really travel. If its not money, there will always be other reasons you can't travel. They can be overcome if you really want to do it.
programitv
Work in the travel industry, as a stuard in a plane for example.. or any other job that implies travel. Or you can do some voluntary jobs that include traveling and the travel is paid Smile.. also you can travel as au pair, or different exchange programs for a short time.

Cheers@
Greatking
a person needs a lot to travel, here is the case where you are leaving your comfort zone for another place. you may not really know the place, except perhaps you may have read about the place. you have to be well prepared to meet any occurances. it could be wonderful and it could be bad. i would love to travel all over the world, get to know different cultures and traditions. but i would like to be prepared. as in correct documents, well stocked lugage etc.
jabce85
hah, the first couple comments were good.. anyway, i'm in the same boat -> little money and a big desire to see the world.... i'm planning on hitting the lottery any day now. . . . . . .
bsbteng
If you can earn money from Internet, you can traval everywhere.
supernova1987a
wanshi wrote:

ask for donations! you have one life, you want to see the world, they should help!!
if they don't, grab a bicycle and go on world tour.
work hard for a few months, save enough money, go on the world tour, keep asking help every time
or if your planning only holiday visits, you must be rich enough....
nigam
supernova1987a wrote:
wanshi wrote:

ask for donations! you have one life, you want to see the world, they should help!!
if they don't, grab a bicycle and go on world tour.
work hard for a few months, save enough money, go on the world tour, keep asking help every time
or if your planning only holiday visits, you must be rich enough....

hahhaha...good suggestions!!! yeah...you can ask donations from your parents if you want to travel...you can even worked it hard so you can earn money and save it for your trip...
also, you can travel around your place ( a miles away) by bicycle then... if you really love too...
mrcool
yes, you can travel and become a volunteer of some organizations that has an oppurtunity to travel worldwide...like MV DOLOUS (correct me if im wrong with the spelling) but it has a lot of strict requirements that you cannot easily be hired....
facebookturkey
there are many more options
Libby
http://www.wwoof.org/

This is a way to get free room and board, if you are interested in organic farming at all. I had a very good experience when I tried last year. They have chapters all over the world.

http://www.couchsurfing.org/

Some people like to have people from out-of-town stay over, and talk about their travels and show them around. So they offer up their couches on this website. This way you don't have to pay for a hotel or a tour guide! Smile I've also had good luck with this, just read the site instructions and follow them!

As for getting there... There's hitchhiking (which isn't as dangerous as its made out to be, if you do it right) and train hopping (which is even more dangerous than you'd think, but at least it's fast). I had how-tos for both but I seem to have lost them. Google is your friend. Smile
deanhills
Sounds interesting Libby. Way to go! I like the one they listed for Ecuador, may have a look at it for next year. I genuinely would like to know more about organic farming, and also visit Ecuador, so may be able to do both at the same time. Smile
gj1012
I think so,too.And this is my problem to travel. ai......
silverdown
Visualize your goal.. and keep visualizing is what i do... ok some of that was from Inspector gadget movie but don't give up all the dreams may come true if you keep working at it. I wanna go to California.... But i know some day i eventually will.
nigam
you can travel without money though.....
by walking in your towns or provinces....
slashnburn99
what skills do you have

if you spend time learning a skill will it generate cash

if you want it, make it happen
Crinoid
wanshi: Look at the bright side:
- You were not exposed to indignities of airport security procedures nowadays,
- herded into the Boeing by rude and tired of thousands passengers airlines personnel,
- didn't spend many hours cramped in the seat, listening to the sounds made by hundred of other people, very different in their habits,
- didn't lose your luggage and didn't have to deal with personnel trying to find it,
- wasn't exposed with not always in a good mood taxi cab drivers,
- you may not find the economy hotels or renting accommodations relaxing and inviting,
- you may be not accustomed to the sounds of violence at night on the streets not so far away,
- witnessing wallet snatching from the pedestrians' pockets in broad daylight with dozens of witnesses around,
- being despised by some local people, who see you as an intruder, entitled to what they aren't and take this out on you whenever possible,
- being courted by con artists trying to push their "services" on you and part you with your money,
- get traveler's diarrhea or other communicable disease,
- afford being in accident or incident,
- having documents stolen or lost and live in limbo, or travel company declared bankruptcy without taking care to pay for services when you still are abroad, in limbo again,
- being robbed, assaulted, kidnapped or murdered,
- even have a very bad weather when you come, that turns beautiful only when you are ready to leave.

Disclaimer:
Examples above range from common to extreme, that may or may not happen. And who can blame for all of the above the people tired of such life?

Did you see the movie Total Recall with A. Schwarzenegger, with explanations about getting to know places without actually visiting them in person, done by a memory implanting company? Exactly the same point, only with lower tech solution: armchair traveling. You can find in the library the National Geographic, books and movies, not necessarily about country, they tend to exaggerate the positive sides and do not mention the negative ones, after all they were made to promote tourism. Rather get any movie with a country as a background and watch not the story line, but surroundings only. By the way, this way you can travel back in time and make comparisons, same city, same place, what changed decades apart.

Make scale model of the place of interest, if you have a botanical garden or oceanarium nearby, go there.

Laughing After traveling in economy class, getting fed up by services, I opted for no traveling, and now am much happier Laughing
Flakky
You need money for almost everything. It depends on where you want to go and how much you want to spend for something comfortable. Everything is possible for free. As long as you don't have to cross an ocean.
jeffryjon
Quote:
I wanna go to many beautifull places ,but ¡ ¡ money

Look for a skill that allows you to work your way around the world. There are many to choose from. I've met people who can do small repairs to car paintwork and remove small dents from the panels. I've met contract nurses, teachers, personal lifestyle coaches and many others over the years. And there's always the alternative option of travelling on a very small budget which I did successfully for 10 or 12 years and worked in between when the money ran out. Money can be helpful, though it isn't as strong a deciding factor for the determined traveller as it is for the passive tourist.
deanhills
jeffryjon wrote:
on a very small budget which I did successfully for 10 or 12 years and worked in between when the money ran out.
When you worked in between, did you return to your home country, or did you find work in the country that you were travelling in? What kind of work did you find to tie you over?
jeffryjon
Quote:
When you worked in between, did you return to your home country, or did you find work in the country that you were travelling in? What kind of work did you find to tie you over?

On the rare occassions it happened, it just occurred that I was in England at the time, though that's just the way it worked out. Often the jobs nobody wants to do would come easily - stuff like working in petrol stations, bar-work, working for the post office or their agencies. Far below my skills-sets but what the heck.

In my case, I improved my skills in tarting up cars which seems to be popular amongst the most fickle, so a hard 12 hours could produce £200-£300 quid at the time.

Thing is, I find working for money boring. As with many switched on people, I found I was doing something unfullfilling and sometimes it was barely filling my pockets. The preverbial selling my soul to the 9 to 5 didn't do it for me.

I prefer to work for 'good' (and that good being decided by me). I don't believe in helping for the sake of helping. I have to see a potential 'profit' in what I do in the form of satisfaction. Based on my experiences, there's a lot of lost causes out there. That said, using the above discretion, I've met a lot of good people and projects that could use some of my higher skills and wouldn't have afforded to pay.
deanhills
jeffryjon wrote:
I prefer to work for 'good' (and that good being decided by me). I don't believe in helping for the sake of helping. I have to see a potential 'profit' in what I do in the form of satisfaction. Based on my experiences, there's a lot of lost causes out there. That said, using the above discretion, I've met a lot of good people and projects that could use some of my higher skills and wouldn't have afforded to pay.
I am TOTALLY impressed. You remind me of another Frihoster - Ophois - who was doing much of the same. I guess that is the closest one can get to not become "enslaved".
mk12327
Libby wrote:
http://www.wwoof.org/

This is a way to get free room and board, if you are interested in organic farming at all. I had a very good experience when I tried last year. They have chapters all over the world.

http://www.couchsurfing.org/

Some people like to have people from out-of-town stay over, and talk about their travels and show them around. So they offer up their couches on this website. This way you don't have to pay for a hotel or a tour guide! Smile I've also had good luck with this, just read the site instructions and follow them!

As for getting there... There's hitchhiking (which isn't as dangerous as its made out to be, if you do it right) and train hopping (which is even more dangerous than you'd think, but at least it's fast). I had how-tos for both but I seem to have lost them. Google is your friend. Smile

These are exactly the things I am considering! I am planning to go backpacking in Europe for a month or two next year but i'm abit tight on budget. I had already signed up an account with couchsurfing and did consider WWOOF, though i'm not sure how things will eventually work out.

Another option i am trying to research on would be to earn on the go while traveling. I don't mean long term work, but rather those odd jobs for funding the trip itself. Anyone from Europe that can give me some ideas? I heard things like helping postal company deliver package and driving back rented vehicles, not sure are these still available.
jeffryjon
[quote]These are exactly the things I am considering! I am planning to go backpacking in Europe for a month or two next year but i'm abit tight on budget. I had already signed up an account with couchsurfing and did consider WWOOF, though i'm not sure how things will eventually work out.

Another option i am trying to research on would be to earn on the go while traveling. I don't mean long term work, but rather those odd jobs for funding the trip itself. Anyone from Europe that can give me some ideas? I heard things like helping postal company deliver package and driving back rented vehicles, not sure are these still available.
Quote:

also try crashpadders.com - some rooms are amazingly cheap and give more of a base.
rogue_skydragon
In some cases, traveling to another country can actually allow you to MAKE money rather than spend it. For example, say you interview and are hired for an intern or helping hand on a film shoot or rock concert that will take place in another country. That gig would pay for your flight, and BOOM. You're seeing yourself on a new and foreign land where you will be getting payed instead of having to pay a dime. Of course, this is on rare circumstances, but very much a possibility.
mk12327
Anyone with an offering next year in Europe? Lol...
deanhills
rogue_skydragon wrote:
In some cases, traveling to another country can actually allow you to MAKE money rather than spend it. For example, say you interview and are hired for an intern or helping hand on a film shoot or rock concert that will take place in another country. That gig would pay for your flight, and BOOM. You're seeing yourself on a new and foreign land where you will be getting payed instead of having to pay a dime. Of course, this is on rare circumstances, but very much a possibility.
This would be a very remote possibility, and when you do get to the other end, you will probably be made to work very hard with very little time for taking in the sights. Probably much better to act as a courier of sorts, if that is still available. Air tickets are not as expensive though as the daily cost of living, so even more savvy would be to find paying jobs in countries you are visiting to cover living expenses.
airh3ad
All the things on earth is to paid by money and the money can buy anythings here on earth! Now you don't have money? go search a job/work to earn money that simple.or even to work at home, no money down, in many different ways. For every company that offers a business opportunity that requires a significant investment, there are just as many companies that offer work at home businesses and job opportunities that don't cost you a dime. Deciding whether you want a work at home no money down job or a work at home business opportunity will be your!
hanarissa
What I usually do is I invite my friends so that I have other people to split the expenses with. Plus it's more fun to travel when you have your friends to enjoy it with. If I'm very eager to somewhere I haven't been to, I do my very best to save up no matter how long it takes. It's just too hard to travel and enjoy everything that a place has to offer when I'm short of finances.
mk12327
hanarissa wrote:
What I usually do is I invite my friends so that I have other people to split the expenses with. Plus it's more fun to travel when you have your friends to enjoy it with. If I'm very eager to somewhere I haven't been to, I do my very best to save up no matter how long it takes. It's just too hard to travel and enjoy everything that a place has to offer when I'm short of finances.

Now that you had mentioned it, i suddenly recalled a tip by one of my friends who did quite a fair bit of backpacking. His experiences in backpacking in Asia (which he went alone) taught him that it is generally a good idea to travel in a small group of 2 or 3. Size of the group can affect the trip with regards to transport. By going alone, there are no one to split costs with but too large a group means you can't get everyone on the same transport vehicle. (Eg. a boat ride or 4-seater car vs 5-people group)
uzeed
Travelling is very important to man yet i wonder why the restricktion in these moden days. well i will like to be free to live anywhere in the world but come to think of it there is really no restricktion to where you can live in this world...... the only hindrances is our porkek hahahahahahah.
mukesh
Travel and Money both words are for rich peoples.
A poor man have no money = no travel so both words have deep relation.
jeffryjon
mukesh wrote:
Travel and Money both words are for rich peoples.
A poor man have no money = no travel so both words have deep relation.

Mukesh, Mukesh, I'd like to share a response that might encourage you. Travelling can be cheap - real cheap. Most countries have poor people and an infrastructure to help them travel. If we take 'no money' in the literal sense then travel can be difficult granted, but there's no need to spend anywhere near as much money as most people do. I went to USA from UK once back in the late 90's with nothing more than a one-way bus ticket and $10 in my pocket when I landed. I ended up travelling both the US and Canada fairly extensively for 3 and half months without begging, stealing, cheating, lying, working illegally or sharing hard-luck stories. You know what, I returned to UK with $250 in my pocket. Value yourself and what you have to offer and things can happen. Trust my friend - the world's a wonderful place.
macky
wanshi wrote:

hahaha...i can really relate to that... that's right... if you don't have any money try not to travel so....

there are many places in the world..."beautiful places"...
kentchui
bsbteng wrote:
If you can earn money from Internet, you can traval everywhere.

how£¿£¿
Deboracco
Ok So you think money is the reason not to travel? I do not believe. travel is not just flying, staying in luxury hotels, eating and drinking the most expensive, etc. ..
many people can travel a much more real, which in fact know the culture, people from other places, just the will, because will and positive thoughts are the foundation of everything, ever received in my house people who have traveled 10,000 kilometers no money, ride the web and contacts helped him, because they were good people and had a strong desire to see the world.
alli2000
i've been a backpacker couple times.. off course we still need money to travel, but we can press it to our budget. without money, u barely even got internet connection..
inuyasha
I can't agree more. I've always been aware of such a fact. You have to pay for a room to live in, meals (sometimes not your taste), tickets to parks, museums or interests, etc. Besides, it's really tiring, especially trips to those "beauty of nature"s. Very Happy
Hello_World
Try backpacking around your own country first. I did this, and worked doing fruit picking and factory work etc. It is all the other people you live with in the backpackers that can tell you how to travel and live, people from all over the world who have found various means to travel, various tips on living cheaply, where to go for work etc.
rogue_skydragon
to me, it's absolutely depressing. hopefully i'll be able to save enough money to comfortably travel turkey and the rest of the eastern mediterranean soon!
silverdown
ocalhoun wrote:
OMG this cracks me up..... Laughing
friho
really it is. money is important ,less money we can do nothing.own money lots of things can solve quickly.everyone both wants to have countless money,isn't it?
jackbreat
Without money travelling is not possible.Through money you can travel one place to another.