FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7 Install failure

Possum
Hi

I tried to install Windows 7. The install never worked and now I see this screen when I boot up. I even tried to reinstall XP but still ended up with this.

how do I recover from this.

I have a feeling the install wiped out the DVD drive drivers. This computer doesn't have Floppies.

Thank you..
Diablosblizz
Try to put a live Ubuntu CD and see if you can see the drive. If you can, go ahead and format it. You shouldn't have installed Windows without dual-booting Windows XP and Windows 7, just in case something like this happens and made your system dead. Also, your computer doesn't have drivers if you're outside of Windows, cause drivers are for operating systems to interact with those devices.

So boot from Ubuntu, delete the partition, and try to reinstall Windows XP.
internetjobs
same here.. my installation also failed..
Possum
did you get the same screen? as above
snowynight
This is due to a bios bug.
Some motherboards can only support a few oses. My home computer , for example, can only work on xp. When i try to install windows vista or 7, or ubuntu, it shows the error page just as abobe.

So try to contact your manufactruer to update your bios.
saratdear
As Diabloblizz said, an Ubuntu CD could be the way out here.

But I am curious on how you got into this situation. I am dual booting XP and 7, and since I don't use Win 7, I can choose "Earlier version of Windows" from the boot menu to get to XP. Didn't you install Windows 7 in its own dedicated partition?
Possum
Quote:
But I am curious on how you got into this situation

I was in XP. I just put the disk in and clicked install. Silly me though the W7 install would do it all from there.

The set up screen looked like it would. I wanted XP off my system so I didn't do a need to dual boot.
Ghengis
OK, I wanted to second the idea of a Ubuntu (or other) live CD. You can't have a "driver" problem that prevents you from booting a CD, since there are no drivers involved at that point in the boot process. If you're seeing a screen like the one in the OP during a "CD Boot", you're not actually booting from the CD (or you're booting from a Windows installation CD in the middle of a botched Windows install).

Try this, if you can -- unhook the bootup hard drive completely and boot from a live CD. If this doesn't work, your disc drive / motherboard / power supply / entire computer is broken. If it does, you should certainly be able to at least wipe and reinstall your OS, if not actually recover it.
saratdear
Possum wrote:
Quote:

I was in XP. I just put the disk in and clicked install. Silly me though the W7 install would do it all from there.

The set up screen looked like it would. I wanted XP off my system so I didn't do a need to dual boot.

You wanted XP off? Since you can boot (I mean, you can get to the point where you can see this screen, so your BIOS and everything is still functioning) I suppose Windows 7 has done no lasting damage on your hardware.

The way out (as other people are suggesting) is install a Linux distro for now, then think about your future plans (whether you want XP, etc). Or perhaps you could try something like the Ultimate Boot CD. (But I don't have any experience with that thing, so don't take my word for it)
Fire Boar
saratdear wrote:
The way out (as other people are suggesting) is install a Linux distro for now, then think about your future plans (whether you want XP, etc). Or perhaps you could try something like the Ultimate Boot CD. (But I don't have any experience with that thing, so don't take my word for it)

Well, it's not necessary to install anything, a Linux Live CD has many uses for any computer: you can get at and back up all your data without installing anything, for one. Installing the actual operating system is an added bonus.
Diablosblizz
Yep, Live CD's are a very good way if you've messed up your OS and need to get information bad. If anybody needs a tutorial on how to install windows, then head over here.
saratdear
Fire Boar wrote:
saratdear wrote:

Well, it's not necessary to install anything, a Linux Live CD has many uses for any computer: you can get at and back up all your data without installing anything, for one. Installing the actual operating system is an added bonus.

Indeed, yes. That slipped my mind. I have an Ubuntu CD that I use at times when XP gets a mind of its own. It might be a bit slow, since it is running purely off RAM and the CD(right?) but it is good enough for most uses.
Ryox
I got that error, trying to load windows XP Professional when my bios was set to SATA instead of IDE, so I updated the bios and switched it to IDE instead, and I loaded XP perfectly fine. Smile
Ghengis
Well, that could definitely do it -- Windows is going to have all sorts of problems if it can't find the drivers it needs to talk to your hard drive controller, and every OS before Vista doesn't "speak" SATA without additional drivers.

If you want a longer-term solution, instead of BIOS-based "IDE emulation", you can boot from your XP CD, hit F6 when prompted during the startup process, and put in a floppy with your SATA controller's drivers. Do a "repair install". Then XP will be able to "see" your SATA drive with all features intact.
Possum
Thanks everyone.. I will try all of the above..and report back
IPDude
Possum wrote:
Quote:

Windows 7 is only upgradeable from Vista. So, you're basically overwriting your XP installation along with all the files in it.

Just thought i'd let you know if you didn't..

BTW: I'd never overwrite a system with a system that's license is only valid until June 2010.