FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Obama Sets up New Cyber Security Program

coolclay
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8073654.stm

I really can't believe this hasn't been done yet. As dependent as the US and the world in general has become not only on computers but technology in general, and we don't even have a separate entity to protect it is just asking for trouble.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Russia and China have probably already hacked and planted software that could cripple the United States. Look how far ahead of us China, and Japan are technologically speaking.

I think it's only a matter of time until China, Russia, and who knows who else start WW3 and we begin to see how deep they have infiltrated us. Look at where 75% of all our goods come from. We no longer have 75% of the factories we once had in the US. I mean for example look at shoes, there are only a few shoe factories in the entire US anymore. Our society would crumble so easily should China just say the word. Why we put ourselves in this position I'll never understand.

As much as I enjoy computers and technology it is this reason alone that I also consider myself a neo-luddite.

What are your opinions on the newly created cyber security office, and China's "supposed" hacking attempts.
deanhills
This totally concerns me. As soon as Governments start with legislation to protect "in the public interest", bet on it that we will have less privacy. Government will be able to control ALL electronic information media through surveillance. I really do not want that. Bet on it too that we will not be able to be anonymous anymore. That would make real sense to me. As they would definitely work on identifying hackers, and if they can do that, then of course they will be able with the same surveillance methods to identify everyone else too. Irony of course is that the hackers will still be hacking, as legislation will make it even more of a problem to get to them, as with so much legislation focus will be likely on innocent people, such as the equivalent of what we have now when we go through airport security. I'm definitely against Government getting involved with Internet Security. And when they start with fearmongering, such as Obama is doing, then everyone should be worried what the result of that is going to be. Remember Bush's fearmongering to get people to agree to invade Iraq, then Obama's continued fearmongering about the bad economy to get people to vote for a 1.2-trillion bail-out package, and now this. Every time when a politician does this, there is a huge price to pay. Hopefully Americans will not pay lip service, but will actually be doing their home work here. I'm concerned, definitely not relieved.
coolclay
Great points, I agree, but at the same time what other ways exist to stop spies, and other countries from infiltrating our technology based infrastructure. While first of all I think it is stupid to even put that much trust on technology in general but it has happened, and it's only a matter of time before things go badly if they haven't already.

Like you mentioned I also think this is also another step toward internet privatization and/or taxation and zero privacy. Whenever you tighten security (ie. the war on terror, patriot act) it is a well known fact that some of our freedom will be forfeited.

Of course a Ben Franklin quote belongs here "The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."
coolclay
Oops
coolclay
Oops
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Great points, I agree, but at the same time what other ways exist to stop spies, and other countries from infiltrating our technology based infrastructure. While first of all I think it is stupid to even put that much trust on technology in general but it has happened, and it's only a matter of time before things go badly if they haven't already.

Like you mentioned I also think this is also another step toward internet privatization and/or taxation and zero privacy. Whenever you tighten security (ie. the war on terror, patriot act) it is a well known fact that some of our freedom will be forfeited.

Of course a Ben Franklin quote belongs here "The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."
They need to design a completely new technology. By putting up barriers it won't help, as it would just put a challenge to hackers. And raise the odds. Someone needs to design a technology that makes access from the outside impenetrable. It is technology that needs to be re-designed, not laws as laws are also easy to evade for hackers with substance.
Nick2008
The government should not have been so heavily dependent on computers in the first place. Past governments have done fine without computers, and the only way to infiltrate them was to invade the government buildings. Nowadays, it's possible for someone to do it in a matter of minutes, halfway across the world.
LimpFish
I'm glad I don't live in the US in this perspective, cuz to me that sounds like an excuse to make up a bunch of laws regulating the internet and invading privacy. And that's crap.
deanhills
LimpFish wrote:
I'm glad I don't live in the US in this perspective, cuz to me that sounds like an excuse to make up a bunch of laws regulating the internet and invading privacy. And that's crap.
Right on. That is Obama stuff. I'm almost sure he is going to be known as the President with the largest expenditure, greatest increase in taxes, and regulations in the history of the United States, if they allow him to carry on that long. Government robbing the people of the United States.
coolclay
Sad but true, I still have slight hope he may do some good, but I kind of doubted his happy go lucky gibberish from the beginning.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Sad but true, I still have slight hope he may do some good, but I kind of doubted his happy go lucky gibberish from the beginning.
I like your words - good description ... Smile