FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Maltese puppies are the cutiest!

la_Duchess
OMG I'm puppy sitting for my Mum and she has an eight week old maltese. I hate to give her back next week. I looked up some info on them...

Breed Group: Toy
Weight: 4-7 lbs
Height: 9-10 inches
Color(s): white
Coat: The Maltese has an elegant mantle of long, silky hair. The coat is straight, lacks an undercoat, and is pure bright white in color. They are non-shedding. Their luxurious cloak of white is the hallmark of the Maltese.
Overview: The Maltese is considered to be the oldest of the European Toy breeds. Nobles, royals, and aristocracy favored them. They are very well mannered and affectionate. The Maltese displays a graceful and regal demeanor.
Character: The Maltese exudes great joy and delight. They are highly intelligent, animated, and playful. They are very social. They are happy and content being the center of attention whether they are with their family or in the show ring. This endearing breed is bright, loving, and a deeply devoted companion.
Temperament: The Maltese is gentle, trusting, and obedient. They are typically good natured and amiable and love to be held and cuddled. They will tolerate other pets, but are not suitable for inconsiderate or ill-behaved children. They most often will establish a close bond with one person. They do not do well when left alone for extended periods of time. They may be over-protective of their owner, family, and territory, and bark or bite if they perceive a threat. They are a fearless, vigorous, and agile breed. The Maltese commit themselves fully to their owner and families.
Care: The Maltese coat requires daily brushing and combing to prevent matting. The coat is extremely soft and silky, so gentle care is highly recommended. They need to be bathed or dry shampooed on a regular basis. The eyes need daily cleaning to prevent staining. It is also important to keep their ears clean and free from stray hair. They may be prone to eye problems, skin disorders, and respiratory problems. The Maltese do not do well in very hot climates or damp conditions. They may be finicky eaters and suffer indigestion. Dental hygiene is important to prevent tooth loss.
Training: The Maltese may be difficult to housebreak so crate training is recommended. They do best with early socialization. Training must never be harsh in nature. It must be done with gentle love, consistency, reward, and patience. They are adept at learning tricks. The Maltese does not need extensive obedience training, as they are naturally obedient to their Master.
Activity: The Maltese does not require a high level of exercise. They are suitable for apartment or condominium living. They enjoy a daily walk, indoor play sessions, or a romp and run in a secured small yard. The Maltese loves to be social, so a play date at the park is always welcomed. They must be supervised and securely leashed.
Ownership: If you are looking for Maltese puppies for sale from reputable Maltese breeders or to adopt a Maltese from a Maltese rescue then make sure you understand as much about the dog breeds you are interested in as you can. Every puppy breed is different.
deanhills
Thanks for posting this. We once had a Maltese called Nicci, a family pet, and all of what you have said about intelligence and poise and grace were there. I bought it as a very small puppy for my dad as a surprise birthday present. We were four siblings in the family, so my dad joked one day on the phone to me that they had three dogs and perhaps they need one more so that would be the equivalent of us number of siblings, who at that time were all out of home and living in big cities. I then surprised my dad with this puppy. He initially was completely shocked, and so was my mom. Imagine! But they fell in love with it instantly. It looked exactly as your photo. I had to drive about 300km with it and took it straight from the kennel to our home in a small town. It was crying all the time. But wow, before you knew it, it was completely adapted, and of course adored, even by the other three dogs. It was so clever, even at that small age, we had a swimming pool, and it knew how to mavouvre and avoid puddles in the garden. Can relate why you would not have wanted to give your puppy back.

By the way, the photo was excellent. I gather you took it, and I like the way you presented it. Super photo!
PatTheGreat42
Putting my vote in for "Westies."
http://www.foxcreekkennel.com/Westiepup2.htm
deanhills
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
Putting my vote in for "Westies."
http://www.foxcreekkennel.com/Westiepup2.htm
They are very cute. Look like distant cousins of the Maltese puppies Smile
Crazy_Canuck
How about Shi Tzus? My two look like the pic of the Maltese, except they are black and white. My female was the runt and is only 8 lbs. She still has the look of a puppy even though she is 2 years old.
gandalfthegrey
Awwwwwwwwwwwww!!! I want one!!!!!!!!!
XxElvenBlissxX
Puppies in general are utterly adorable, but I have to disagree with the Maltese being the cutest, in my opinion at least.

As one can tell, I didn't take this picture... Image is copyright to the one indicated above.
ArkansasFan02
O, yea, there really cute! My grandparents hav one, named Yoda. So for holloween, my aunt bought him this yoda costume. It was perfect exept for 2 problems. 1. The costume was too big and 2. He hated the yoda hat!!!

Haha!

~ArkansasFan02
ponda
I love Maltese puppies! I don't have one though =( I have three pugs, also very cute.
sum12nv
Awe. I had a mixed breed of maltese and Shi tzu. It was really cute but I moved at the beginning of this year into a unit which don't allow pets. So now I'm looking for a new house to move in to so I can get my dog back. Oh btw ileft my dog with my friend until I move so looking forward to reuniting with my dog.yay!!!
BigGeek
I'm kind of partial to Poodles, my best freind in the whole world is an 8 lb. Tiny Toy poodle named Jasper. I have done everthing to take the best care of him. Daily walks, the best diet, quality supplements and herbs. It has been a chore to own him and keep him groomed and healthy, but it was a labor of love, and all the love that was given was given 10 fold in return by him.

He is now 13 years old, and the last year has been a tough one, I'm loosing him, his heart is enlarged and has gotten bigger over the last 6 months, his lungs are having problems because of it, and his heart is getting to the point where it is pushing on his esophogus and causing a lot of coughing. They put him on steroids for his lungs and it drove his appitite up, before I caught what was happening he gained a half a pound, which is a lot for the little guy. The added weight caused him to tear his knee apart, and his heart and lungs prohibit surgery, he wouldn't make it through the knee surgery.

He's on his last leg, literally, and all I can do with him is keep him comfortable and love him as much as possible until he lets me know it's time to go. I gotta tell you, this is one of the most difficult things I've ever had to go through is loosing him, I don't even think I've ever felt heart break this deep from my divorce, or being dumped by the love of my life. All I'm hopeing for at this point is that I can be strong enough to let him go when he needs to and not let him suffer. We haven't reached that point yet, but I get this sad sick feeling inside that it isn't far off.

Pets, and most especially little dogs are the greatest gift in the world, and I'm more greatful than words can express for my time with him. He is the greatest friend I've ever had!!!!
jwellsy
All puppies are cute. I prefer bigger sporting dogs. About the smallest dog I would cinsider would be a Bassett Hound. A Bassett Hound would be a trip, they have pretty cool personalities.
distantship
I always prefer smaller yorkie, but sometimes they get too sticky for me to handle hahah
ajitha999
super to yor photosPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:16 pm Post subject: Re: Maltese puppies are the cutiest!
I love Maltese puppies! I don't have one though =( I have three pugs, also very cute. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Kashinilaya
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Awwwwwwwwwwwww!!! I want one!!!!!!!!!

Me too!