FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fallout New Vegas

achowles
It might be a bit early to start a thread on this game. But this thread is more about what you hope to see from this game than what we can actually expect.

As you can probably guess, New Vegas is set in the ruins of Las Vegas. Not much is known about it, or what has become of the region, beyond it being mentioned in the first two games.

New Vegas is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, many of whom where involved in the first two Fallout games. It's not a sequel to Fallout 3 and has no direct bearing on the events depicted in that game. It's a proper RPG and will most likely be using the same engine as Fallout 3. It's due out at some point during 2010.

No doubt having (most of) the original team behind it will please the fans of the original games.

So, quite simply, what are you hoping to see from this game?
Nutteloos
Hoping for a game my laptop can actually run...

Okay, so I've already lost on that one, don't bother reminding me. Sad
Ankhanu
I'd love to see the return of a lot of the sense of humour that was lost with Fallout 3. I mean, the plot and game play of 1&2 were phenomenal, but it was the humour that really helped them stand out. Fallout 3 is a pretty solid game, but with disappointingly little humour and pop cult culture references.
achowles
Ankhanu wrote:
I'd love to see the return of a lot of the sense of humour that was lost with Fallout 3. I mean, the plot and game play of 1&2 were phenomenal, but it was the humour that really helped them stand out. Fallout 3 is a pretty solid game, but with disappointingly little humour and pop cult culture references.

I found Fallout 3 funny in places, but certainly not nearly as much as the prequels. I'd also like to see the return of the kind of characters that populated the prequels too. Bethesda seemed to be trying to make the characters realistic, but it didn't always feel like they existed 200 years after the war.
achowles
Here are some recently released details about the game:

Quote:
* It's a first-person view game, using the same engine as Fallout 3
* A new "Hardcore mode" will be available, in which (among other things) stimpacks heal over time, ammo has weight, and players can suffer from dehydration.
* The story focuses on a conflict between three factions: the New California Republic (a nation from Fallout 2), "Caesar's Legions," based on the Vegas strip, and the residents of New Vegas.
* The player is not a Vault Dweller but a courier who is rescued by a friendly robot.
* Super Mutants resembling those from Fallout 2 make an appearance, including the unique (and stealthy) Nightkin.
* A "reputation system" measuring faction friendliness operates beside the karma system.
* Some story points and locations seem to have been lifted from the old "Van Buren" demo, including the Hoover Dam.
* Followers can be managed via a context-sensitive menu containing commands such as "follow," "stay" and "attack."

Some very good news in there. I'm especially liking the hardcore mode. The reputation system will hopefully make more sense than the karma system in Fallout 3, which wasn't without fault.
David_Pardy
I'm really looking forward to this game. I've been meaning to get ahold of the original Fallout games but haven't really had the time...

I can't wait for Las Vegas Very Happy
Ankhanu
"* The player is not a Vault Dweller but a courier who is rescued by a friendly robot. "
That's an interesting twist.

The rest of the material they've given out just make it sound like Fallout as usual... not that there's anything wrong with that. If it ain't broke and all that jazz Smile

The hardcore mode is an interesting addition as well. Very neat idea to add more realism into the game... Not sure I'll use it a lot myself, but it's a really good concept.
slashnburn99
Love Vegas

Anything with Vegas in the title is good for me
spinout
Hm, I really think this is a good game but the framerate could be better on the PS3.
Diablosblizz
spinout wrote:
Hm, I really think this is a good game but the framerate could be better on the PS3.

I think your mixing Fallout 3 and the new Fallout. Fallout New Vegas hasn't been released yet, it's still in development.
achowles
slashnburn99 wrote:
Anything with Vegas in the title is good for me

This won't be the Vegas you know though. That said, I've still got very little idea as to what it will be like...
achowles
spinout wrote:

That was Fallout 3. I wish I knew what we could expect from Obsidian in terms of console optimisation but they've pretty much only been a PC developer up until now.
Starrfoxx
I think it'll be interesting to see how this game turns out. I'm looking forward to it.
achowles
I've got to admit, I'm in two minds about this one. On one hand it doesn't seem to have had enough time spent on it to produce the huge, detailed world they're promising. It's also looking visually worse than Fallout 3.

But on paper, this should be the perfect Fallout game.

Anyway, here's some gameplay footage. It's not looking much different to Fallout 3, to be honest. I really hope they actually get around to showing something of the actual Vegas strip at some point.