FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Oh Gods please stop it!

karysky
Hello,

I just had something to say and I wondered if other people think the same way as I do.

I am tired of reading messages such as:

"hey me websits so coool 'coz 've put extra tngs onit, com take a look... "

or things like that.. When I see a message posted in this ***** language, I just browse over because

1) I don't understand a thing about it!
2) I don't want a headache trying to decipher its meaning...

And, most of the time, they write at the end: "hope you understand me?"
As if!!! Mad

People should write their message in clear language, no? I am aware that many people here are teens but that is not a reason for not writing properly I think... they should keep that language for when chating with their friends on MSN, not on public forums...

Anyone thinks like me?

PS I have nothing against the people who write like that, I just have a problem with reading and understanding them!

Confused

PPS: I'm sure ppl 'll write bck us'ng tis sl'ng language to anoy me, but I don't care 'coz I'll browse ovr thm. Wink
S3nd K3ys
Wow.

Pent up anger?

Let it go, man! Many of the people here are not speaking english as their first language, give them a break.
karysky
I know!

English is not my first language (it is French), and that is why it would be agreable to read clear English rather than crumpled English.... because I don't understand a thing about slang/crumpled English...

It's not anger, I just want opinions to see if I am the only one annoyed...
S3nd K3ys
karysky wrote:

It's not anger ...

if I am the only one annoyed...

Oh.
ignition
Who doesn't hate that shit? There are a lot of 12 year olds here though, just don't read what you don't want to. You aren't obligated to read through some moron's posts Very Happy
Jack_Hammer
Yes I very much agree people shouldn't use slang on the forums (if at all), I think the English language is something to be proud of, and not to be misused or shortened for no apparent reason, spelling mistakes are okay and grammar mistakes are okay and general mistakes are okay if English isn't your first langauge but otherwise it's just annoying, and it is plain to see the difference between slang and someone who has made English their second langauge.

I'm proud to be English, even though this country is going to shite...
cnnet
maybe your borwose doesn't support the language
while others may
Wink
Nameless
I also hate people posting in really abreviated form, with no grammer whatsoever. It's really annoying. Or when people post things like: OMGWTFLOL!!!oneeleven!!!one!! N0 \/\/@y DUdezz!!!!
friscofrankie
Quote:

??? Shocked

I love it when these youngsters post like this
A. You know the post will be moronic and immature (hey, they're kids right?)
B. You know you can/should ignore the page.
C. Most posters using this language are very young. (They are experimenting with using their minds on something that is challenging and, in the future, will be useful)
D. The web is a truly open world-wide community; for young, old and all the in-betweens. There is something for everybody and you can scroll on by, click on through or liinger and read/listen.

I hope these youngsters continue to write messages as they do. They'll communicate with others that are of the same mind while allowing those that are not to identify and ignore their site, post or link (or not).
Jack_Hammer
friscofrankie wrote:
The web is a truly open world-wide community; for young, old and all the in-betweens. There is something for everybody and you can scroll on by, click on through or liinger and read/listen.

Yes but thats no excues, Wink
kuroneko
reading "slang" is really annoying
friscofrankie
^ who ever needed an excuse to be young, dumb and fulla -- energy? Laughing

Will admit if some youngster is asking for advice or help they will get alot further in their quest (with me anyway) if they phase it in a more standard form of the language.
I live in SE asia and notice a lot of, otherwise articulate, folks will write in this manner as most of their english conversation is via ICQ, MSN or some IRC-type chat. Still, for the biggest part, the lingo servs as a BS-o-meter for me.
bigdan
Mate, my advice to you would be to simply ignore them. If they want to blabber on in their own little made up language, let them! You just worry about yourself! Very Happy
gonzo
Gods ?
tidruG
OK, let's not forget, the reason language was created was for communication. If these kids think they're able to better communicate writing the way they do, then let them, I say.

Besides, like others have posted already, we can just ignore those messages... I've generally seen those kind of posts in threads which have, more or less, all replies in Internet slang or short forms... so, it's easy to ignore those threads if you want.

Apart from that, there really is nothing you can do to actually stop them posting that way Wink
LostOverThere
karysky wrote:

As if!!! Mad

People should write their message in clear language, no? I am aware that many people here are teens but that is not a reason for not writing properly I think... they should keep that language for when chating with their friends on MSN, not on public forums...

I totally agree with you.
People are always like:

"cmn u n3rds stfu 1 mre gAm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111"

What the heck does that mean?
Even if people talk like this:
wat? u? r gy.

It annoys the heck out of me
gonzo
Then you'd really not like:

Leetify

http://vgm16.tripod.com/

(tripod no longer allows text dox hotlinking)
budazz
hey man you should understand those guys who can't write the way you want...not all people here are speakin in english fluently...main reason is it is not thr own native language...so i guess dont be so bothered about that...after all our admin didnt have a problem with those guys... Cool
gonzo
budazz wrote:
hey man you should understand those guys who can't write the way you want...not all people here are speakin in english fluently...main reason is it is not thr own native language...so i guess dont be so bothered about that...after all our admin didnt have a problem with those guys... Cool

Here's your post in the annoying format to which people are refering

Quote:
h3 m4n 0 $h0 n3r$74n 7h0$3 9$ wh0 (4n'7 wr173 7h3 w4 0 w4n7...n07 4 p30p3 h3r3 4r3 $p34|{1n 1n 3n91$h 3n7...m41n r34$0n 1$ 17 1$ n07 7hr 0wn n471v3 4n9493...$0 1 93$$ 0n7 b3 $0 b07h3r3 4b07 7h47...473r 4 0r 4m1n 1n7 h4v3 4 pr0b3m w17h 7h0$3 9$...

here's a similarly annoying version

Quote:
|-|3y m4|\| u 5|-|0u1d u|\|d3r574|\|d 7|-|053 guy5 w|-|0 (4|\|'7 wri73 7|-|3 w4y u w4|\|7...|\|07 411 p30p13 |-|3r3 4r3 5p34ki|\| i|\| 3|\|g1i5|-| f1u3|\|71y...m4i|\| r3450|\| i5 i7 i5 |\|07 7|-|r 0w|\| |\|47iv3 14|\|gu4g3...50 i gu355 d0|\|7 b3 50 b07|-|3r3d 4b0u7 7|-|47...4f73r 411 0ur 4dmi|\| did|\|7 |-|4v3 4 pr0b13m wi7|-| 7|-|053 guy5...

31337sp34k sux0rz?

yes
budazz
gonzo wrote:
budazz wrote:

Here's your post in the annoying format to which people are refering

Quote:
h3 m4n 0 $h0 n3r$74n 7h0$3 9$ wh0 (4n'7 wr173 7h3 w4 0 w4n7...n07 4 p30p3 h3r3 4r3 $p34|{1n 1n 3n91$h 3n7...m41n r34$0n 1$ 17 1$ n07 7hr 0wn n471v3 4n9493...$0 1 93$$ 0n7 b3 $0 b07h3r3 4b07 7h47...473r 4 0r 4m1n 1n7 h4v3 4 pr0b3m w17h 7h0$3 9$...

here's a similarly annoying version

Quote:
|-|3y m4|\| u 5|-|0u1d u|\|d3r574|\|d 7|-|053 guy5 w|-|0 (4|\|'7 wri73 7|-|3 w4y u w4|\|7...|\|07 411 p30p13 |-|3r3 4r3 5p34ki|\| i|\| 3|\|g1i5|-| f1u3|\|71y...m4i|\| r3450|\| i5 i7 i5 |\|07 7|-|r 0w|\| |\|47iv3 14|\|gu4g3...50 i gu355 d0|\|7 b3 50 b07|-|3r3d 4b0u7 7|-|47...4f73r 411 0ur 4dmi|\| did|\|7 |-|4v3 4 pr0b13m wi7|-| 7|-|053 guy5...

31337sp34k sux0rz?

yes

i dont know about that Crying or Very sad
gonzo
budazz wrote:

Cheer up! Very Happy Consider yourself fortunate.
budazz
gonzo wrote:
budazz wrote:

Cheer up! Very Happy Consider yourself fortunate.

why i dont understand?.... Confused Question
drunkfun
yeah, bill gates has murdered the english language.

Im bloody sick of getting text messages from people who spend way too long on their cell phones and are trying to say 500 words in the space of 300 characters.

Death to them all
gonzo
drunkfun wrote:
yeah, bill gates has murdered the english language.

When did Gates become a rapper?

Quote:
Im bloody sick of getting text messages from people

If you have verizon you can block text messages from specific people.

Quote:
500 words in the space of 300 characters.

Tell them about "enhanced messaging". Long messages are automatically chunked and distributed in order.

Quote:
Death to them all

Once you quit obsessing over David your life outlook will improve.
wistom
I totally agree with you.
i usually post that, but i couldnt say anything others for my english is so bad. i want to improve my english for my best heart. i try to say more and more not just your description in the first. i 'll try my best best to post good posts.
Bondings
For you guys it might be possible to ignore those posts, but I need to read and understand them. Sometimes it's very hard or even impossible. A lot of people are bad at English, but does that mean you should ignore punctuation? I love reading sentences with an end and a beginning. Wink
karysky
Wow I didn't know so many people would answer to that thread! lol

I totally agree with you, Bondings. It is hard to understand sometimes.

And I don't blame those people who don't speak English. I really respect those who try hard to learn it (like you, wistom), since I know what they've been through, having been through it all myself. But I'm blaming those who make absolutely no effort whatsoever, english native or other.

I know, that I can/should ignore their messages. But, on the other hand, I think that everyone (almost) usually have something interesting to say and a point to argue.

If the "slang people" could at least try to write in good English (and by that, I don't mean perfect college English), using real words (not putting more numbers than letters in them.. see the message of Gonzo for example...) and tolerable sentences, we could understand what they say.

And that's what I want. Understand what they say, what everyone has to say. May they be 12 or 90 years old I want to know their opinions.

That's the spirit of forums, I think, exchanging ideas and opinions. That's why I am here, anyway. Everyone has something to learn from others, given that we understand each other, of course.

I just want people to make some effort... at the very least, they can still write z instead of s, like in the word pleaze... that is quite understandable and easy to read. I mean, that is normal MSN language that everyone understand. But I cannot, even with my strongest will, decipher what this means: h3 m4n 0 $h0 n3r$74n ....

Anyway, I hope people will be careful, if they want their opinions to go farther than the screen on which they are printed.... that is to say, if they want people to acknowledge their thinking, instead of scrolling over thinking, "ah, another brainless dude message..."

fiou that was long.. way longer than what I intended to write.... going to bed now.. good night!
drunkfun
Quote:
Once you quit obsessing over David your life outlook will improve.

Once you learn the power of the Hoff, your all other outlook's seem like certain death
mike4652
One sure thing is you know which posts are worthy of reading.
Let the ones that use slang sort them out for us. That way we can skip over them and read the post that really matter.
Some people post just for the sake of posting, never really having anything interesting or informative to say.
So they resort to rambling.
It sure makes it easy to find the quality post.
hiddentear__
I agree if a person uses no grammer watsoever and leaves out all the vowels and they expect you to understand if you do it'll take you way to long to decipher the "chatspeak" like this:
"mre lak painfl" and
"u gt wata i mean"
I had to read dtat at least 5 times before i could acctually respond to my friend who was waiting......arr frustrating as hell
Nameless
I don't know about chatspeak, I tend to call 'tat tp o txt' weakspeak.
Zib
I support you karysky !!!
My first language is french too... and sometimes, I don't understand
anything in some messages, and they're often in "SMS language" as
we say in France...

I just want to day that in the majority of french forums ( I am a moderator
of a forum, and i was moderator too for a rle playing game forum... ),
SMS language is not allowed... I think it's a sort of respect...
Smile
chirag
Yea i also get angry by reading sucj type os msgs.
windrei
karysky wrote:
Hello,

I just had something to say and I wondered if other people think the same way as I do.

I am tired of reading messages such as:

or things like that.. When I see a message posted in this ***** language, I just browse over because

1) I don't understand a thing about it!
2) I don't want a headache trying to decipher its meaning...

As if!!! Mad

Anyone thinks like me?

PS I have nothing against the people who write like that, I just have a problem with reading and understanding them!

Confused

PPS: I'm sure ppl 'll write bck us'ng tis sl'ng language to anoy me, but I don't care 'coz I'll browse ovr thm. Wink

i have the same attitude as you.

well, you speak in French, right ? i am from Hong Kong China. Here, we speak Cantonese, the case is even worse. People like using english pronounication to type in the Cantonese sound. If they continue the whole way in such "cantonese", it maybe okay. But people like using English together with Cantonese, and they type the whole text in english letter. So it makes the text unreadable.... ....

i hate it so much. That's why i type in full english, or in chinese characters. ~
Garg
Quote:

Damm, how long do they take to write this the way they do... Wink

They must seriously want to be 'hip and cool'
tidruG
Garg wrote:
Quote:

Damm, how long do they take to write this the way they do... Wink

They must seriously want to be 'hip and cool'

To be honest, I don't really see how not being easy to understand or communicate with makes a person hip and cool....? Wink

Hmmm... I wonder if this makes me cooler than I am:

"Hooplot Kabouwskie Ealred MGunitY!" Very Happy
S3nd K3ys
1 46r33 17 15 4nn0y1n6. Bu7 7h3r3'5 n07 much y0u c4n d0 f0r n0w 3xc3p7 70 73|| 7h3m 3v3ry 71m3 7h3y d0 17 7h47 17'5 4nn0y1n6. 07h3rw153, ju57 16n0r3 7h3m. Rolling Eyes
outsyinsy
I actually understood what you just wrote. Haha.

I don't have anything much to add to the discussion, since in my country people do that a LOT too, even with our own language. My common reaction is to ignore those people and get on with my life. If they can't be bothered to write in full, then I might as well not be bothered to try to understand what they're saying.