FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dual booting Win7 and Vista

Ghengis
My wife's tablet PC is running *really* poorly, and I suspect it's something to do with all the crapware HP bundled with it. I've uninstalled a lot of stuff, but there are several programs I'm wary of removing since they may or may not be related to tablet support. Anyway, some people suggested that a clean install of Windows 7 might help the performance issues. What I wanted to know is, what should I do ahead of time to prepare? I don't want to wipe her Vista install in case there's a problem with the new OS, so I was going to boot a GParted live CD and squash her current OS partition down to make room for the new one. Then I figured it should mostly work straight away.

(In case it matters, e.g. driver-wise, it's a t2000z, I think)
Diablosblizz
Lifehacker.com has a nice tutorial on how to do this here. There might be a lot you want to do in order to keep your documents safe, but that's up to you. Dual booting doesn't necessarily mean you will loose all documents and important files, but it's good to be on the safe side.

Also, the first step on Lifehacker isn't necessary, you do need to download it but you don't need to burn it to a CD. Installing it directly from Windows will work perfectly fine.
Ghengis
Oh really? I mean, you can mount the ISO in e.g. Daemon Tools and install from the image?

That strikes me as... odd. But I might try it. Now, if I can just find my GParted CD....
Diablosblizz
You don't even need to mount it. Simply just extract the ISO, and double click on setup.exe. It'll waste more space for the time being, but after the install is done you can simply delete the ISO and the extracted programs.
snowynight
Diablosblizz wrote:
You don't even need to mount it. Simply just extract the ISO, and double click on setup.exe. It'll waste more space for the time being, but after the install is done you can simply delete the ISO and the extracted programs.

I agree.
But you can install a daemon tools to mount the iso. Then things will be easy.
jackill
.iso file can be opened by any extracting software eg. 7zip.
Diablosblizz
Winrar does the job as well. So does Power ISO. Basically any extracting software like jackill said.
Ghengis
OK, got it done. I'll make a separate post with details.