FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

First Thing You Do?

Jamestf347
Just a random question I thought of when browsing through the forums ...

What do you do when you setup your computers? Smile New or Just a Wipe out of the system.

I personally Install my programs and web browsers ... after the updates for the OS and anti-virus (Firewall) of course Razz.
ocalhoun
On my Linux PC, about a day and a half of changing default settings to what I like.

On my windows PC, several weeks of disabling windows features, then about a year of configuring and finding third party software. Within 3 months it no longer seriously annoyed me, and within a year I had it just the way I liked it.
Flakky
First thing I do on a new Windows is disabling UAC, then downloading firefox using IE. I have a list of essentials and components I should have. Drivers are top priority, also codec packs are one of the first things.
Diablosblizz
Downloading Firefox, dragging all of my profile folder over to the new machine. Then MSN. Then I usually wait for a while and I see what I need and download it when I need them.
joe_042293
On my Linux PC, several weeks of trying to get the internet to work, then giving up and uninstalling.

On my Windows PC, getting Firefox, Skype, Pidgin, Notepad++ et cetera. All those must-have programs that I couldn't live without, unless I did.
ciureanuc
I have a routine "developed" in 2003 - 2004. I use it since then on all the systems I have to install.

1. unplug the network cable
2. absolutely a Full Format C:
3. Install Windows
4. install Antivirus (I use NAV 2003 professional - yes, I know, I am old-school).
5. plug the network cable
6. update Antivirus (I run the update routine for several times)
7. update Windows (I run the update routine for several times) ALL the critical updates

8. Firefox (now I'm thinking to get Opera for PC - because I saw that Firefox use A LOT of RAM on XP)
9. codecs for movies
10. Winrar, Winamp, Skype, SmartFTP, ACDSee - old and very simple version 3.2, etc.
weableandbob
Download all the updated drivers, then essential things like firefox, then install my games, and finally less-used software
ForceRun
Pretty much what they said.
Get a clean install going.
update windows and drivers
install games
Install apps
william
ForceRun wrote:
Pretty much what they said.
Get a clean install going.
update windows and drivers
install games
Install apps

Games before apps. Cool

Me, well when I get a computer, first I install Linux and spend the day customizing it to my heart's desire. I have a bit of fun with that. Then, if there's any time left in the day, I install Windows. Traditionally, I use Internet Explorer for it's one purpose, downloading Firefox. Once that's up, I install updates and Avira or AVG. Then it's all down to performance tuning. Prior to installing any applications, I benchmark the system trying to get the best performance with the best drivers. Then I install applications, load up some of media collection, and install my games. To finish it off, I then modify the look of Windows (and continue benchmarking to make sure nothing slows me down).
misterXY
ocalhoun wrote:
On my Linux PC, about a day and a half of changing default settings to what I like.

On my windows PC, several weeks of disabling windows features, then about a year of configuring and finding third party software. Within 3 months it no longer seriously annoyed me, and within a year I had it just the way I liked it.

Lol, same here.
Tphilakone
Alright the first thing i do the same as you . But i prefer reimage so i dont have to setup others programs
Marcuzzo
I created a unattended installer a while ago.
so I just boot in the disc and I'm in a different room watching a movie or something.
but basicly, like other posters said, removing unwanted MS stuff, installing updates, AV, Firewall, browsers, ect