FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Racism or art ?

Racism or Art
Racism
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Art
81%
 81%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 16

foreverdestiny
So, what do you guys think of this award winning poem.

When I born, I black.
When I grow up, I black.
When I go in sun, I black.
When I cold, I black.
When I scared, I black.
When I sick, I black.
And when I die, I still black.
You white folks...
When you born, you pink.
When you grow up, you white.
When you go in sun, you red.
When you cold, you blue.
When you scared, you yellow.
When you sick, you green.
When you bruised, you purple.
And when you die, you gray.
So who YOU callin' C O L O R E D ??

I say It's pure racism. Rolling Eyes
Vladalf
Ashtray
I think it's art, definitely. It's not an offensive poem- in fact, a quite truthful one!
ProfessorY91
Award winning poem, eh? From the picture, which was really a clever post, otherwise I would have never recognized it... You can classify this thing as a simple blurb designed to make you think. I'd just as soon dismiss it with a simple... "hmmm", and go on with my life. Its not racism. Its not art. Its just something interesting - whether it is in the form of a poem or a pictogram doesn't change that.
Solon_Poledourus
Certainly has a racial element to it, and could be made into a funny race joke(those are some of my favorites). The thing that gets me is... it actually won an award? I just don't think it's all that good to be honest.
HamsterMan
In what way is this racist? Is there sheer mentioning of skin color considered racist nowadays or something?
Magicman
Its not racist but I also don't think it is art either. It is rather clever but I don't think it is award-worthy at all.
tchaunt
The "poem" is rather truthful. I use the term poem loosely, because, to me this is hardly a poem. It just doesn't have the depth and rhythm to it that most poems that could be considered artsy would have. If you call this racist, then you probably supported Obama before you even heard his platforms. This is neither racist nor art.
hamza1122
lol. that's a cool poem. the white boys just got owned no offence. besides i don't see how that's racism because it's not discriminating against any races but just simplying stating a point that is actually true.
Hogwarts
hamza1122 wrote:
the white boys just got owned no offence. besides i don't see how that's racism

Rolling Eyes

Also, would it be socially acceptable for me to hitch up my pants, and say to your face "Hi [random black person], you're 10 times more likely to end up in prison than me"? Probably not. But hey! "the black boys just got owned no offence. besides i don't see how that's racism"
Nameless
It is literally racism, but I highly doubt it's intended to be offensive (and question the judgment of anybody who finds it so). Naturally it's art, but racism and art aren't mutually exclusive.
deanhills
I find it defensive in a racism-in-reverse way. I don't have any problem with it however. It's not really offensive.
Dean_The_Great
I think this is interesting, and clever. I don't take any offence to it and I don't see how anyone really could.
watersoul
I don't think its racist or art really, it did make me smile though, and I'm white Smile

Would be curious to know what award it won?
...and the context of its creation/audience?

The pictures make me think it's aimed at perhaps young black school kids to maybe make them feel more confident about "being black" in a society that still does have a lot of white racists around? I don't know, but if thats what it's intended for (in an obviously joke way) then I'm cool with that.

It certainly doesn't criticise or insult white people, and it points out colour differences in a funny way...art in the loosest of senses to me though.
Libby
I think the alteration of the poem to sound "more black" is very very racist. I don't think the idea of the poem is racist though. White people think of being white as "normal", so we say we turn different colors when we feel abnormal. But black people are considered "abnormal" by default by our society and as far as language is concerned, they are always "black". Which as the poem points out is silly.

This poem is really old. (See below.) It's reemergence as an "award winning poem by an African child" is probably because of a chain email or something. One place said it was written by Malcolm X. Another website says it was written by a white kid in the UK. Another said "a black gentleman in Texas". Maybe it was supposed to be racist from the start. But it all depends on how you hear it in your head I guess.

http://www.menstuff.org/issues/byissue/multicultural.html

The Kettle
author unknown

A black man talks to a white man

When I was born I was black,
When I grew up I was black,
When I go in the sun I'm black,
When I'm cold, I'm black,
When I'm scared, I'm black,
When I'm sick, I'm black,
When I die I'll still be black.

But you: When you're born you're pink,
When you grow up you're white,
When you go in the sun you turn red,
When you're cold you turn blue,
When you're scared, you're yellow,
When you're bruised, you're purple,
When you're sick, you're green,
and when you die you turn grey.
And you have the nerve to call me colored.

www.blogcatalog.com/discuss/entry/do-you-know-the-name-of-this-poem-or-the-writer

"I have had the following poem entitled "How Come" in my recipe box for almost twenty years. I recently googled it to find the author and I see that somehow an 'African Kid" wrote a poem called "And You Call Me Colored". My poem goes as follows..."How Come".. When I was born I was black, When I grew up I was black, When I'm sick I'm black, When I go out into the sun I'm black, When I die I'll be black ... But You: When you were born you were pink, when you grow up you are white ,When you get sick you are green, When you go out in the sun you are red, When you go out in the cold you are blue, When you die you turn purple... and you call me colored?
I think I cut it our of an old Ann Landers column. I have had it for so long it is yellowed with age so you can imagine my surprise in finding it newly written by some "African Kid"?
Who is this African kid and when did he write, almost verbatim, the same poem I have had for two decades? Is this plagerism or did it take the rest of the world twenty to find the same poem I've had for so long. I am very confused and disturbed by this. I would like some info on the author and publishing date of the african kid's poem."
tony
I think it's art with a racial, but not racist, message. I'm not offended, but I also don't think it's a masterpiece by any means. Just mildly amusing/interesting.
mwsupra
I wasn't offended, myself being white. It was mostly just a clever poem. Not sure about award-worthy though...
skygaia
well... it's "art"
stel4e
Ashtray wrote:
I think it's art, definitely. It's not an offensive poem- in fact, a quite truthful one!

Absolutely agree with you
paskifire
it's art with a little bit humor.
Moshkin_Khan
It does turn the whole "coloured" idea on its head, however I dont really think its racist at all. Not much poetry either. But it does make you think.
prithvi
It seems factual, rather than something racist.

Its like a cheeky reply to the term 'colored'.

Art?? Well....maybe the art of the gab.
Ankhanu
Geez, no it's not racist.

It seems pretty damn obvious to me that the intent of the writing is to demonstrate how ridiculous racism is, and how people need to think of WHY they use the terms and racial outlooks they do. It's a message AGAINST racism.
carlospro7
I find it a little amusing. It can be racist and art at the same time.
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
racism-in-reverse

I suspect you do not fully grasp the term 'racism'.