FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A blend of two hobbies: exploration and photography

ocalhoun
So, I was just driving around in the forest last weekend, in places where few people can get to, and even fewer ever bother to try.

And what should I find, but a very interesting, very old wreck. How this car got here is a good question, perhaps the road was in much better shape then, perhaps it was dragged out by a truck. This is after going to the top of a mountain along steep, narrow, winding, rocky trails for miles and miles. It took nearly an hour to get there, and that's in an upgraded rock crawler!

Anyway, I look down the steep slope, and here's what I see:

If anybody was in it when it went over the edge, they're very lucky it stopped at those two trees, neither of which hit the passenger compartment.

Being the curious type, I go down to investigate:
The side facing the trail I was driving on:

Around the other side:

The front:

Going in for a closer look, you can see the details of what the front grille used to look like:

Inside the engine area, the only regognizable part left is part of the throttle linkage:

Moss growing inside the engine compartment:

From there, let's take a look on the inside:

What's left of the seats:

The doors (the driver's rear door still opens and shuts properly, but all the other ones are blocked or jammed:

A close-up of the underside, showing the lichens growing on it:

The gas tank; the filling tube and gas line out are still intact:

The back of the car, you can see where a tail-light used to be, and the gas filler cap:

Inside the engine compartment, there is a plate from the Ford Motor Company describing the various patents this car has on it, and probably giving some legal warning, though it's hard to read. This is the only identification on the car, so we at least know it's a Ford, but can anybody tell me the model and year? I'm guessing it could be anywhere from the 1920's to 1940's:

Before I left, I tried to take a couple of more artistic shots of it, please tell me what you think:

All in all, this car isn't in bad shape, for having been wrecked in the forest for decades. It could have gotten there as early as the 20's, I guess, though it could also be as late as the 60's when it ended up here, I'd guess. At any rate, it has been there for a very long time, and is a cool thing to unexpectedly find while you're exploring.

Then, I'm off to continue driving around in places most people will never get to see:

The sense of freedom is exhilarating:
deanhills
Is the truck at the bottom of your photos the one you were driving in? Looks great! Your new vehicle after the last one's passing?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Is the truck at the bottom of your photos the one you were driving in? Looks great! Your new vehicle after the last one's passing?

Yep, that's my new one! Full thread about it here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-106629.html
wellerchap
intriguing to see the old car....I think it was Bonnie & Clyde's though, judging by all the bullet holes.
If you guy had known your American history you'd have known that!

I'll get my coat! Rolling Eyes
Very Happy
andysart380
dude i really wish i had things like that around here....not much for offroading..and i dotn have a truck that can get out there not lifted or anything but it is 4x4....places klike that would make for awsome photography...check my site out for a few of my pictures...i'll be working on the site soon so theres only like 5 or 6 up but i have hundreds i just dont know how i want to organize the site...

as for the car i have no clue what model that is... i'll get back to you if i find out
jwellsy
It looks like a 50's style sedan. If it was older then that the paint would all be gone too. The key to figuring out what it is is that distinctive split rear window.
ocalhoun
jwellsy wrote:
It looks like a 50's style sedan. If it was older then that the paint would all be gone too. The key to figuring out what it is is that distinctive split rear window.

Did some research, and it looks much more like a late 30's to early 40's model.
Vladalf
Great photos. I think it's a nice bonus to find some wrecks or ruins while exploring, isn't it?
One question tough, what are all those holes?
Vlad
ocalhoun
Vladalf wrote:

One question tough, what are all those holes?

Bullet holes. Probably people at some time (I'm guessing a long time ago, based on the rust and paint erosion around the holes) people used the car for target practice. Most are from ordinary bullets of several different calibers, but there are a few shotgun hits as well, especially on the gas tank.
dude_xyx
Nice photos. I like going exploring too. Photography goes well with it. In 2 days I'm going off for a mountain trip with my friends. A place 50 km away from the last inhabitant town from those mountains. Says there are tiny villages here and there but we wouldn't know till we go there.
XxElvenBlissxX
Hmn, this is really quite interesting... Good photography always catches my eye. I think I just might head out around the woods in my town and do a little exploring, maybe take a few "faerie" shots with my friend... Thanks for the inspiration! =]