FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Prop 8 Remains

quex
California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

However, upon reading the article, I think this decision may have been more of a victory for the gay and lesbian community than the primary disappointment would let on. I understand the way the court voted and why they could not (and did not) allow personal beliefs to sway their jurisprudence... precedent and the constitution of the state are paramount to the civil rights argument. In that same vein, however, it is now clear that new precedent must be set, and the constitution must be changed to allow for the full range of civil liberties available to all Californians, indeed, all AMERICANS, to exist without the interference of bigots. The path ahead is now made clear. :3

...and by not nullifying the marriages made during the legal period, the court has also helped establish the first roots of the new precedent. Congratulations to the married, and good wishes and solidarity to those who are still fighting for the right to be wed.

I think my position is clear enough. ^^; How are all of you taking the news? (IS this even news outside of the US?)
Solon_Poledourus
A step in the right direction, I think.
This should be big news outside of the US, as alot of countries have laws against same sex marriage. Perhaps, if we end up seeing the light on this issue here, other countries will take a second look at their laws on the matter as well. I don't know how long this struggle will last, but I wish the best for all those involved.
ocalhoun
So, how long will it be until I can marry my horse? ^.^
Solon_Poledourus
ocalhoun wrote:
Funny thing is, I have actually heard this example used by anti-gay marriage advocates as a reason to keep it illegal; "if we let men marry men, it will not be long before somebody wants to marry a donkey!"...
ocalhoun
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Funny thing is, I have actually heard this example used by anti-gay marriage advocates as a reason to keep it illegal; "if we let men marry men, it will not be long before somebody wants to marry a donkey!"...

Exactly.

And that's why I'm pro- gay marriage. ^.^ One step closer, right?
Solon_Poledourus
ocalhoun wrote:
Exactly.

I just thought of something...
If they cloned a female neanderthal, would I be able to marry her? I bet that would be some wild nookie!
quex
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Exactly.

I just thought of something...
If they cloned a female neanderthal, would I be able to marry her? I bet that would be some wild nookie!

...eh-hem. GENTLEMEN. -_-;

Actually, Ocalhoun, you could marry your horse if you two were willing to settle down in India or Sudan...

Human-Animal Marriage (Wikipedia)

...that said, you actually have all of the same rights with any animal you own as you would with a spouse you were legally married to, with the exception of allowances in the tax code or conjugal activities, the later of which are outlawed as misdemeanors or felonies in most states in the US (and actual cases of which are usually prosecuted as animal cruelty). Also illegal in the UK, with a prison term of 2 years if found guilty... but, interestingly, still legal in Germany, Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland... and MEXICO, of all places. o.o

Now as for the Neanderthal... I imagine the teeming crowd of scientists and media around her, physically, would completely prevent you from getting any "nookie" at all, sir. XD