FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Too many crashes with the latest version of Firefox

gilwe
I'm getting way too many crashes when using the latest version of Fire fox...
Is this a known issue of should I assume that something is wrong with the way I use plug ins ?
Diablosblizz
What version is the "latest" for you? There are betas that are released. To find out what version you have click Help -> About Mozilla Firefox.
Agent ME
I haven't had any problems with Firefox since 2.0, and that was only when running it under Wine in Linux did I have any problems.

Usually crashes in Firefox from what I've seen are caused by bad add-ons or plug-ins. If you've installed any add-ons, list them here, and try disabling them and seeing if FF still crashes.

Once you're sure that it's not the add-ons, check the plug-ins. Tools -> Preferences -> Applications. Easiest thing to do would be to change everything to Always Ask. It's a good default, and if a crash happens after enabling a certain plug-in, you can guess where the problem is.
Diablosblizz
Why were you running Firefox under Wine? Don't most Linux distributions have Firefox as their default browser?
foreverdestiny
Since i upgraded to 3.0 Firefox randomly hangs up Evil or Very Mad and the memory usage is incredible!.
David_Pardy
I've been running 3.0 since the development releases and never had any memory hog/hanging problems.

Perhaps your computer is due for a bit of a tidy up? I suggest MalwareBytes Anti-Malware as a start, and/or SuperAntiSpyware.

It's also a good idea to clear your cache every now and then.
welshsteve
I always had all sorts of memory hogging issues throughout the life cycle of Firefox 2, and was very disappointed with it. I started using Opera more back then, but since the beta releases of Firefox 3 I have been using it and am much happier with it now, although it does still use an awful lot of memory. I think the trick is closing the browser unless you need it left open so that Windows can take back the RAM.
Donutey
welshsteve wrote:
I always had all sorts of memory hogging issues throughout the life cycle of Firefox 2, and was very disappointed with it. I started using Opera more back then, but since the beta releases of Firefox 3 I have been using it and am much happier with it now, although it does still use an awful lot of memory. I think the trick is closing the browser unless you need it left open so that Windows can take back the RAM.

And not having a hundred tabs open at one time. Tabs make it really easy to make a computer slow to a crawl, usually because of Flash or Acrobat Reader (grrr... Adobe).
fladry
My internet explorer hangs tooooo often. But firefox 3.0.3 never hangs in my pc. It is so nice. It has not hanged even once. I am using windows and i think firefox is many times more nice than that internet explorer. While using internet explorer, i often wonder if they have a function called hang() in their explorer code that they put everywhere in the explorer code.
Agent ME
Diablosblizz wrote:
Why were you running Firefox under Wine? Don't most Linux distributions have Firefox as their default browser?

I frequently used Firefox Portable on my flashdrive on my windows systems, and used it under Wine on my linux system so I could use the same passwords and bookmarks.
Eventually I found out I could point the linux version of firefox at the same profile on the flashdrive and use it that way. Later I installed the Xmarks plug-in and just used that to keep my passwords and bookmarks easily synced.
Jean-Clod
Opera rules! I don't use FF anymore since the 3.0.2, because of the huge memory consumption. Check the version you have, and update it, maybe this will fix the problem.
g7clan
Get a good pc? lol

I have v3.0.10 and no crashes, must be your setup
sondosia
I think having lots of plugins installed can affect how Firefox runs. Try running it in "safe mode" without plugins.
biljap
I have the latest Firefox, and Ive had only several crashes, I dont even remember them. I have another problem very often I cannot open a page (not a specific page, it happens with any). I get some error that it cant open page and that it will reload it 10 seconds. And it reloads the page (or I reload it manually) and it opens normally if Im lucky. Sometimes I have to reload several times to open page. Ive never had this problem before, it started recently.
Cliffer
i use the latest ff too,but not too many crashes ah.
Ryox
I've used the latest version of Firefox with No bugs, errors, or crashes, it runs fine for me, but those who has maybe have problems with memory issues to begin with? I don't know, i'm just thinking as I go. o_o