FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What would you like to learn?

Jinx
I write How To articles for eHow.com, and lately I've been running out of ideas for articles. It seems like every possible topic has already been covered. So I thought I'd do a poll - - What would you like to learn how to do?

What are some things that you would love to learn, but just can't find good instructions for on the web?

What are some things you've looked for instructions for but the instructions you found were too complicated or just not helpful?

When you look for instructions what is the most important thing you want from them? A quick overview of the steps involved, detailed step-by-step instructions, pictures, video? How detailed do you want the steps? Do you find it insulting if the steps are too simplistic?

I may not be able to write articles on every suggestion I get here, but hopefully I'll find some inspiration and insight, and ya'll will have fun talking about what you'd love to learn.

For me, I'd love to learn to fly a plane - but I doubt an online how-to article is going to help me much there Smile
spring567
I like to learn History.
History is very instresting . We know few our past . Learning History is Learning our future.
imagefree
I came to learn any server side scripting language and web is a wonderful teacher.

Quote:
What are some things you've looked for instructions for but the instructions you found were too complicated or just not helpful?

I wanted to learn encryption machanisms and everything about encryption and decryption but i failed to learn because of the use of difficult words in this field (i am non english).
watersoul
I'd love to learn Spanish, so one day I could move to Ibiza and be nice and warm all the time Smile

...absolutely loads of ways to learn the language on the internet, but if I'm honest, I'm just too lazy, the only way I'll really achieve this is to spend some money and take a class locally, that way I'll be more motivated to keep going.

Being part of the EU I could just move there anyway...but not speaking the language and being unable to get a job would make staying there a bit difficult!
deanhills
My last enquiry to E-How was for how to hook up my Cable Receiver with my DVD Player and TV and E-How gave me all the answers. One answer I don't have though is how to programme my DVD Player so that it would automatically scan the channels of the Cable Receiver. Presently it only scans the regional programs and there are only 3 of them. So right now if I want to record a show I have to be on the channel that I want to record. I can't view other channels when I am recording. When I use my timer-recorder I have to be on the channel that I am timer-recording as well.

Maybe there can be more E-Hows for basic operations like these. Also how to hook up your Hi-Fi with the TV. Perhaps also how one can improve your sound through TV.
Solon_Poledourus
As something practical and physical to learn, I'd love to have a comprehensive, top to bottom guide on building an "Earth shelter home". Now, I have found various construction guides for different designs, but most of the ones I have found are either far too large in scale, or they are the dumb little "hobbit houses".

I would want a simple dome design, for semi-underground construction(sunk down in the ground half way), that uses the natural elements for at least a majority of it's own power. I guess I should provide more details, but I get aggravated when I try to find info on this.

I'm not insulted when directions are too simplistic. I do get offended when the directions are so complex that I am being told every little thing, like how to hold the hammer before I start nailing things together. Simplicity is a good thing, as long as it's thorough. Pictures are good when they clarify something that's not obvious. Video can be helpful sometimes, but it's rarely necessary.

Anyway, if you want to look into it, that would be great. If not, maybe I will just have to get off my ass and do it myself.
goutha
I'd like to learn Chinese.

I'd like to learn Japanese.

I'd like to learn the ultimate powerful programming language that I will use for the rest of my life without learning any new one.
ocalhoun
goutha wrote:

I'd like to learn the ultimate powerful programming language that I will use for the rest of my life without learning any new one.

You'll need to invent it yourself then. There are many different languages, each with advantages, disadvantages, and specific uses, and they all become obsolete over time.
Greatking
i would like to learn french, spanish italian and chineese. languages i just love to listen to people talking in different tongues its awesome. then i would like to learn how to be the person ever.
missdixy
I would like to learn American Sign Language. I would also like to learn to make various DIY things, like soaps and other stuff. I always think DIY projects are interesting!
chatrack
Hi,

I like to learn PHP, in a good manner

I like to understand the concept of Object Oriented Programming

I like to study Nuclear Physics in deep

Can any one help me for my first choice?
ProfessorY91
I would like to learn how to properly configure my router so that I can host my own website. Port forwarding didn't seem to work, and IIS /Apache refuses to let anyone connect to my machine. I can't host games... and I'm wondering if its my ISP's fault. Ridiculous if you ask me. Standard procedure would be welcome though.

Y
pll
I'd like to learn how to make money.

And I'd also like to learn PHP / MySQL and some C# language.

Finally, I would like to learn how to modelise things in 3D (and I will learn it soon!).
skygaia
I would like to learn foreign language.
I'm learning Japanese now.
justtj
We already read on internet about Blue screen of Death{BSD}, but there is no comprehensive guide to explaining it in detail..

Microsoft Support support.microsoft.com/ provides the help on Individual error.. but there is not any guide about it..

It would be helpful if you can make one on eHow and how to diagnostic ur computer after a crash..
Hogwarts
pll wrote:
I'd like to learn how to make money.

Go the conventional (and best paying) way, just get a job o.o
standready
many many things. never stop learning.
Arty
How to write a good article. =D
SpellcasterDX
How to be successful in life? :p
Just kidding!

I would like to learn, however, about how I could get a good job in the computer programming field.
Steps required, how many years of college, recommended colleges, etc.
anarhistu
I would like to learn advanced mathematics, quantum mechanics and general relativity... in deep... And I want to learn how to choose the correct job for me and how to have everything that I need (and what I need is what I want Very Happy)
Dean_The_Great
I'd like to learn how to write a novel that was not just the same old stuff that everyone seems to write. I'd like to learn how to have a truly original idea, not just a modification of an old one.
medesignz
Piano Piano Piano... I can play keyboards a little, but its not the same... Laughing
mtorregiani
I'd love to learn italian and german. But I don't have any time. I expect to learn some italian next year by the way...
crimson_aria
I would love to learn many languages. especially Spanish, Latin, Japanese, and Korean. I also want to learn how to play the violin. It sounds really nice. It's my favorite instrument.
Insanity
I would like to be able to play an instrument very well... not just play a little but very well, as in being an expert. That's something that's hard to learn online, as it takes lots of practice. I would also like to learn as many different languages as possible.
mrcool
id like to learn different languages like french, italian, spanish, chinese, japanese and by the way, do you know what language they spoke for africans? quite interested too....i'd like to speak to them as well...
Fatality
ProfessorY91 wrote:
I would like to learn how to properly configure my router so that I can host my own website. Port forwarding didn't seem to work, and IIS /Apache refuses to let anyone connect to my machine. I can't host games... and I'm wondering if its my ISP's fault. Ridiculous if you ask me. Standard procedure would be welcome though.

This is something I too would like to figure out. I'm not sure it is the router I have or if I'm doing something else wrong. I've played with it a little bit and have looked for guides. I have to take bits and pieces from many different guides, because none of them explain it well enough. I have basic DSL with a router and a few PCs directly connected to it.

On a side note, I've never looked at eHow. Will check it out today if I have time to.
carlospro7
I'd like to learn how to play piano or guitar well. I've tried learning both on my own, but after a while and a lot of effort I lose my motivation
razum2um
I'd like to learn django.
Not for nothing Smile
I can teach somebody Russian.
Russian for Django. Sounds stuipid?!
Very Happy
Solon_Poledourus
I could use some help with my Russian, but I don't know anything about Django.
spring567
I would like to learn every thing if I can . But it is difficult to learn as age growing .
Denvis
I ask to learn only one thing, a simple thing. The meaning of life, if you can teach me how to obtain such information i'd be much greatful, stranger.
bigt
Jinx wrote:
I write How To articles for eHow.com, and lately I've been running out of ideas for articles. It seems like every possible topic has already been covered. So I thought I'd do a poll - - What would you like to learn how to do?

What are some things that you would love to learn, but just can't find good instructions for on the web?

When you look for instructions what is the most important thing you want from them? A quick overview of the steps involved, detailed step-by-step instructions, pictures, video? How detailed do you want the steps? Do you find it insulting if the steps are too simplistic?

I may not be able to write articles on every suggestion I get here, but hopefully I'll find some inspiration and insight, and ya'll will have fun talking about what you'd love to learn.

For me, I'd love to learn to fly a plane - but I doubt an online how-to article is going to help me much there Smile

I would like to learn Morse Code. You never know when it might come in handy one day. As mentioned earlier as well, I wouldn't mind knowing more about history also.
Asap170
I would like to learn All the coding there is! Like HTML, PHP, C#, C++, etc... Yea totally weird Smile hehe
andredesignz
I would love to learn advance photography
natilovesmike
I would like to learn statistics. Not to be an expert on it, but just the basics on what statistical tests are best to use in different situations (experiments) and know when I am doing something wrong like using the incorrect test.

I would also like to know how to potty train my son....ahhhhhh! This is just out of frustration because he just doesn't get it!
Ashtray
Japanese
Zombie
I would like to learn how to write good essays, I'm terrible at that.
bsbteng
I'd like to immigant to Canada. So it is important to learn languages. In order to find a new job, I think that I have to learn php.