FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MSN Messenger on a MAC OS X 10.5.7

patyffm
Im able to send and receive files using MSN Messenger, but the transfer rate is very very slow. I know, that there are other programs such as Adium, but Ild prefer using the MSN Messenger (7.0.2).

Will I need to open certain ports (if so, how). Could someone please help me. Thanks
AftershockVibe
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927847

That will tell you which ports messenger uses. You'll need to see if they're blocked yourself though. I would have thought that it was your router (assuming you have one) rather than your Mac blocking these though.
patyffm
Thanks so much for your help

by clicking on the link youve posted I will get the list of ports under Windows Vista. Will that also work for Apple Mac OS X ?

Ill try, hopefully they use the same ports here
paytime02
I actually have the same problem here. Connection is working, but takes around 5 Minutes for a jpg pictue of 109kb for example. Thats not acceptable
paytime02
Some guys have told me to try Adium and I gave it a try. It also works to set up all connections and its possible to send and receive files just like in MSN Messenger too. But here I get the same problem. File transfer rate is very slow. It takes very long for a normal 500kb jpg-file to be transfered to or from my computer. Its working, but very annoying if youre sending larger files such as RAW-Fotos of maybe 7MB per pic Sad

In this example its very important to have this functionality in a messenger such as MSN or Adium, cause most of the email accounts dont support sending or receiving files as large as 5-10 MB. Therefore Im trying to use other messenger clients such as Yahoo-Messenger or AIM which seem to be working great. Also tried Skype for file transfers, as many people have theses messengers...

A pitty theres no proper solution so far to solve that MSN Messenger problem so far.

Looking forward to hear some suggestions what I can do with my MAC OS X and MSN Messenger
paytime02
Adium is still working great, but even there, file transfers are very slow. Im using Yahoo Messenger with Apple-Windows file transfers. Works best so far. Could also use Skype or AIM. All work better than MSN-Apple...

Smile
Hogwarts
paytime02 wrote:
Adium is still working great, but even there, file transfers are very slow.

Basically, it's because of the way the clients handle file transfers via MSN. Normally, on normal clients, it's sent directly from peer to peer. However, some clients (especially pidgin-based ones, like MSN-Apple) send the file through MSN's servers. The implications of this are that
  • File transfers can not exceed 5kB/s.
  • It's impossible to view your peers IP by observing where the traffic goes.

Basically, you'd do best to find a client that used a different implementation of the MSNP protocol. aMSN, for example. Better still, aMSN2 -- If it's ever finished, that is Sad
paytime
thanks very much. Hopefully this will get me faster file transfers. Do you by any chance know of any MSN-Network Programm I could use (as an Apple user) to be able to set up a Webcam - conversation to my friends using MSN on Windows Computers ?

At the moment Im using Skype or Yahoo, but some of my friends do not have a log-in there
Hogwarts
paytime wrote:
thanks very much. Hopefully this will get me faster file transfers. Do you by any chance know of any MSN-Network Programm I could use (as an Apple user) to be able to set up a Webcam - conversation to my friends using MSN on Windows Computers ?

At the moment Im using Skype or Yahoo, but some of my friends do not have a log-in there

Give aMSN a go, if it has Mac OS compatibility. I know it works on Linux and Windows, so there's a good chance it's got Mac OS support.
rajpk
i am also facing this problem........whan i use mac

but now this problem solve as now i am using XP on HP

Very Happy Very Happy