FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My latest Project

richard270384
Hi All,

Please take a look at Winetionary.com | Your Wine Dictionary and let me know what you think.

If you enjoy wine, then please register and let me know how you find the functionality of the site.

If you don't enjoy wine, then please feel free to comment on the layout only.

I only ask one thing - if there is anything you don't like, please make your comments constructive by suggesting how it can be improved.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

PS - The search functionality is currently unavailable, but should be up in the next 24 hours or so.
wumingsden
A quickly skimmed your site, there were a few things I didn't like concerning the appearance, but that maybe just me and I don't have enough time to go into details

But ...

1) Use a currency converter? (not eveyone knows/uses $)

2) - and its a long shot, but in the far-future? Research to see if there's a program out there to advertise wine with the possibility of using a "Buy" button, getting a % of the price it was sold at. Just a suggestion.

Oh. and make sure the wine bottles have images?

And maybe have a lil page concerning the different types of wine; red/white/rose. What the link between colour and taste is? the "correct" way of smelling/tasting wine? Wine tasting days in your local area.

*as of yet, search function isn't working*
richard270384
Thanks for looking.

wumingsden wrote:
1) Use a currency converter? (not eveyone knows/uses $)

I thought about this, but its actually quite complicated. The price of wine can fluctuate, even using the same currency (e.g. different stores and different states within the one country can have vastly different prices) so I decided that it was best to use a price range rather than a fixed price. Theres also the change in exchange rates which don't actually find their way into store prices for quite a while. On top of that, there are different taxes on alcohol in different countries, so where a wine here in Australia might be $24.95 per bottle, with 40% of that price being taxes, in another country where there might not be taxes the price of the wine could be closer to $15.00. Doing a simple exchange rate conversion wouldn't produce very useful or accurate results. I thought about possibly allowing users to enter a price range, and then selecting a currency and displaying multiple price range results on the wine pages. Do you think that is a better idea? Or do you have another suggestion.

wumingsden wrote:
2) - and its a long shot, but in the far-future? Research to see if there's a program out there to advertise wine with the possibility of using a "Buy" button, getting a % of the price it was sold at. Just a suggestion.

Certainly had thought of this, but this steps into risky territory. Here in Australia, you need to have a liquor licence in order to sell alcohol of any type. I wouldn't be selling the alcohol personally so i'd probably be ok, but there are also restrictions on alcohol advertising. The internet (being the internet) is accessible in so many countries with many different regulations, and I could quite possibly be breaking the law in one of those countries - not a risk i'd be looking to take.

I was just going to run some google ads on it and see how that goes.
wumingsden wrote:
Oh. and make sure the wine bottles have images?

Definitely, thanks for the tip.

wumingsden wrote:
And maybe have a lil page concerning the different types of wine; red/white/rose. What the link between colour and taste is? the "correct" way of smelling/tasting wine? Wine tasting days in your local area.

I am planning in the future to have pages dedicated to each type of wine, grape variety and growing region. In the mean time, I'll be posting information about these sorts of things as blog posts.

Again thanks for taking the time to write. When you have more time, i'd love to hear if you have any ideas on that first point.
keane
I liked the idea of using the bottle of wine as your navigation. I liked how you used the labels. However, the wine bottle needs to be polished. I see a lot of jagged lines on curved parts of the bottle. The login and search box also has this problem. These issues make the design somehow inconsistent with its style. They don't match the glassy/glossy style you used in your logo and tabs menu. You might also want to add some more space between the logo and lower content (tab menu and main box), so that it doesn't look to squeezed to each other. Smile
richard270384
keane wrote:
I liked the idea of using the bottle of wine as your navigation. I liked how you used the labels. However, the wine bottle needs to be polished. I see a lot of jagged lines on curved parts of the bottle. The login and search box also has this problem. These issues make the design somehow inconsistent with its style. They don't match the glassy/glossy style you used in your logo and tabs menu. You might also want to add some more space between the logo and lower content (tab menu and main box), so that it doesn't look to squeezed to each other. Smile

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not much of a graphic designer (as you can probably tell). Do you know how I can get rid of the jagged edges? Do I need to increase the resolution of the image (ie more pixels per inch or whatever)?
Donutey
I like the layout a lot, but I don't think the colors really work that well together. Especially that bright green outline on the upper search bar.