FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to host byyourself?

klownsrus
What type of server would we need to set up our own domain without pating or without a sub- domain? How cheap is it? How well will it run? How easy to setup?

Please answer!
Jaan
Try hosting on your own pc, check this for a rough guide: http://lifehacker.com/software/blogging/hack-attack-set-up-and-host-a-blog-on-your-home-computer-214455.php

all you need is a couple programs and a decent internet connection... you'd have to buy a .com/.net/.org domain name if you want that, otherwise people would have to type in your IP, and you dont want that

cheers
Pepperfan
Hosting your own domain is EASY.

just get a computer to do it exclusively. It doesn't need to be fancy just make sure that it has sufficient ram. I would say at least 512 mb but a gig or more would be nice. Run Linux or windows with NT technology.

I would format this computer to make sure it is running good.

as for web servers I would install Apachie whether you are running Linux or Windows. But if you are running windows you can use IIS.

Run a ftp server Linux will already have one but Windows has a great ftp server option of Filezilla.

Buy a domain name and then go to www.zoneedit.com to setup your DNS records.

You are now set... Of course you might want to install php, perl and mysql also.

charles
ForceRun
As to the hardware you need very little, and most basic systems will work fine. It helps to have good internet though.
Diablosblizz
Pepper, IIS is horrible. Downloading XAMPP is much easier and you can have MySQL + PHP + Apache combined, it's a nice easy combo. That's what I have on my home server, and it basically just stores files for me. I do use it for school work as well.
Pepperfan
Diablosblizz,

I agree IIS is whack... But I am not going to force Apache and XAMPP, a bundel with Apache and most of the addon services that you need, on anyone. If they are smart they will go that way. Smile

BTW If you really want to tune your settings you might want to forgo XAMPP and install each item separately.

Charles
Diablosblizz
That's possible but for the random user that doesn't really know what they're doing XAMPP is defiantly the way to go. It's quick, easy and awesome.
klownsrus
yea, well i was kinda thinkinh of like a dedicated server that you hook up to your computer, instead of using your external hard drive
Pepperfan
klownsrus,

We are talking about a "dedicated server" a dedicated server is nothing more than a computer with server software installed.... Well in a business setting the computer would be optimized and hardened to make it super reliable and super easy to repair. But in a pinch you can make an old home computer into a server.

If you install the software we suggested and you use it only for running your website then it is a "dedicated server".

Charles
klownsrus
oh, but will it still work like a computer?
Pepperfan
klownsrus,

Yet it is still a computer. Just remember that if you are using it you are taking away resources and speed from your website. It is better to use a different computer for your website.

Charles
klownsrus
yup, thanks, i have a successfull website, im using a ggi proxy.