FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My 3d models (Updated)

saratdear
I recently took an interest in the free 3d software, Blender. I've been with it for just more than a week, messing around, reading tutorials, trying to make stuff, etc. I've made some stuff, but till now, what I like the most is this - http://www.saratsweb.frih.net/images/teapot3.jpg

I know it is not the best. Smile Comments?
Diablosblizz
Great work sarat! I wish I could do something like that, but I've never tried. Razz I guess that might be my problem right there.
Xrave
really nice and cute teacup. the edge where you pour the tea is a bit hard though but the texture was handled perfectly. Applause
polly-gone
I think that is a fairly good model for a beginner in Blender, given how tricky of a program it is to use.

You should check out the forum at Blender Artists. You can post your works in progress and have other experienced Blender users like myself critique it and give you advice on how to make it better. It is a really awesome website.

EDIT: You know what you should do...? Read up on fluid simulation and then make an animation where it pours out some tea. haha

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
r4inm4ker
nice teapot! I agree though that the mouth edges are a bit too sharp, maybe some beveling will do the trick. Texturing is well done, but the lighting seems a little bit weak, need some more fill light I guess. Keep up the good work! Very Happy
saratdear
@Diabloblizz - Thanks for the comment. I used to feel the same thing, but I decided I just had to learn to make in 3d. Smile If you like it, there are plenty of Blender tutorials available. I learn things from them.

@Xrave - It isn't really textured, because I have only changed the colour of the teapot, and enabled ray traced reflections.

@polly-gone - I am there - http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=156743
What is your username there? I am getting some pretty helpful comments there was well.

@r4inm4ker - Thanks. Smile I haven't really learned beveling, though, and not gone too deep into lighting.

And everyone; if you think mine is good, you should check out the "Forum Gallery" forum in the link I posted. Complete photorealism, some of them, and I am not joking.
Magicman
That's a very nice first model in Blender. I'm pretty sure I've seen the tutorial on how to make that model. Either that or its just the fact that they always use a model of a teapot for texture demonstrations. I used to use Blender a lot but I simply don't have the time anymore. I am also on the BlenderArtists Forums with the same username but I don't have time to be active on those either.
Blender is supposed to be getting a UI overhaul from what I hear so it should hopefully become easier to use, but I hope it doesn't change too much because then I'd have to relearn it.
Dean_The_Great
That's pretty cool. You should try to make a whole kitchen! It'd take forever, but you'd have this crazy kitchen at the end of it! Each piece could be a new interesting project!
saratdear
I made some more stuff, and I thought I'd share it here. Hope you guys like it. Smile

tdezellem
Have you ever packaged your cg work and offered it to others? I'm only asking because I do a lot of textures for 3d models by extracting the templates from an obj file and texturing in either Paint Shop Pro or Stitch Witch or a combination thereof. I have been posting my textures on Share CG, and there are a lot of modelers who put there stuff on there as well. If you never have, check out sharecg.com. Because of the large volume of traffic you might have to sometimes be patient with it. Of course anything we post there is for free although I have seen some artists with a paypal donation button.

Good model by the way. I wouldn't mind doing a texture of it if you post it on there.
Magicman
Were those latest screenshots rendered in Blender's internal renderer or some external renderer? I'm not sure I've ever been able to get such a crisp reflection with Blender alone. Maybe that's because I don't play around with the renderer much but instead use the game engine a lot.
saratdear
tdezellem wrote:
Have you ever packaged your cg work and offered it to others? I'm only asking because I do a lot of textures for 3d models by extracting the templates from an obj file and texturing in either Paint Shop Pro or Stitch Witch or a combination thereof. I have been posting my textures on Share CG, and there are a lot of modelers who put there stuff on there as well. If you never have, check out sharecg.com. Because of the large volume of traffic you might have to sometimes be patient with it. Of course anything we post there is for free although I have seen some artists with a paypal donation button.

Good model by the way. I wouldn't mind doing a texture of it if you post it on there.

No, I really have not offered my work to anyone because I don't think it is that good. Smile Were you asking me to just post the .blend files or upload it on sharecg.com?

Magicman wrote:
Were those latest screenshots rendered in Blender's internal renderer or some external renderer? I'm not sure I've ever been able to get such a crisp reflection with Blender alone. Maybe that's because I don't play around with the renderer much but instead use the game engine a lot.

Blender internal. Actually, I am just the opposite to you. I just mess around with modeling stuff and do not touch either animation or the game engine.

I didn't use any special settings for reflections. I like everything shiny, so I turn on "Ray mirror" for many things. Problem is, it takes a lot of time to render sometimes. And oh; the glass table was from a tutorial. I improvised it.

EDIT : And here's another. Just a small room. It has the table and window from my other models and another sofa. It is not textured properly or anything, just thought I would share it.

pll
Wow your work is kinda nice, we can see the evolution of your work since the teapot to the last image you sent.

I'm going to start my studies in this domain next year, I hope I'll be able to find some jobs.
As for your work it' seems to be really nice, if you have some money to spend I'd suggest you to try 3D studio Max, it's far more powerful than Blender (But blender is quite powerful for a free software!!).

I can't wait to see more of your works ! Cool

Good Job!
saratdear
pll wrote:
Wow your work is kinda nice, we can see the evolution of your work since the teapot to the last image you sent.

I'm going to start my studies in this domain next year, I hope I'll be able to find some jobs.
As for your work it' seems to be really nice, if you have some money to spend I'd suggest you to try 3D studio Max, it's far more powerful than Blender (But blender is quite powerful for a free software!!).

I can't wait to see more of your works ! Cool

Good Job!

Thank you! Smile

That's the problem, I don't have the money to buy 3d Studio max. Actually, you know what I originally wanted, when I started this? Make a lot of swell 3d models and sell them online. Razz

Wish you the best of luck for your course and the job in the (not so distant) future.
Cliffer
your modeling is nice! great! we can make it animated?
saratdear
Cliffer wrote:
your modeling is nice! great! we can make it animated?

Yes. Blender does support animation, but I haven't tried it out.
steve1200
Respect.
I think I will try Blender Wink
I never tried to work with 3d-programs so I can't give useful feedback. But, I like your work, especially the room.
saratdear
steve1200 wrote:
Respect.
I never tried to work with 3d-programs so I can't give useful feedback. But, I like your work, especially the room.

Hope you like using Blender. Smile There is a very supportive community (blenderartists.org) who are always willing to comment on your work there.
steve1200
saratdear wrote:
steve1200 wrote:
Respect.

Hope you like using Blender. Smile There is a very supportive community (blenderartists.org) who are always willing to comment on your work there.

thanks for your advise.
saratdear
And here is another one I made. I know the lighting is all screwy, but other than that what do you think?

steve1200
yeah, it looks really nice! I think you improved the lightning in relation to the last picture...
saratdear
And here is another one. Bit ambitious, really. Not rendered in Blender Internal (like all other pictures in this thread) but in Luxrender which is said to produce photorealistic images. So, the image is grainy at first and becomes better over time. Luxrender crashed after sometime, but I still have an OK image, so I thought I'd post it. It's big, and has some issues (like the weird stuff on the wall near the ventilator) but other than that, what do you think?

http://www.saratsweb.frih.net/images/classroom.jpg
r4inm4ker
well, it's quite good result, for hobbyist.. but if you're serious about learning 3d CG, I suggest learning basic traditional lighting first (like three point lighting) before jumping into global illumination or physical based lighting. Also, the models aren't textured yet, so they looked quite..flat.
Whong
They are pretty good but they lack the realism e.g. they have no bump maps or other textures that would give them a more realistic look. Try also different kinds of lighting settings and see if that helps.

Hope this helps. Smile
Haywire
woah nice, do you use c4d?
saratdear
@r4inm4ker and Whong - Points noted. Texturing, bump mapping etc. is what I would like to study next.

@Haywire - No. Blender is what I currently use.
soljarag
looking good dude.... learning 3d takes A LOT of time... I've been doing it for around 8 years.. checkout my portfolio --> www.mclatworthy.com (hosted by frihost Smile

Just keep at it, and if you really enjoy it, you won't mind spending 8-10 hours a day learning and mastering it
FunDa
Wow, good work dude. Those rendering look good.

I had decided to learn Blender and 3dsmax and flash animation long back, bit kept delaying it so much that now I don't even remember what happened to the CD full of tutorials I had got downloaded by a friend and kept safely. lol ... Well, good work u'v e done here.
tchaunt
Nice work so far! All of them look good! (Or like they would be good if the renderer didn't crash Razz) Anyway, keep up the good work. I hope you can eventually get to where you can sell the models online!
saratdear
Thanks to both of you. Smile But I am sorry to say that due to other commitments, I don't find time to continue my hobby.
saratdear
Just wanted to update this because during holidays I started again. Smile

My latest work:

FunDa
Wow, that is simply stunning !!!!!!! U have a good talent. Very Happy Very Happy You should continue doing this 3d designing stuff.
saratdear
FunDa wrote:
Wow, that is simply stunning !!!!!!! U have a good talent. Very Happy Very Happy You should continue doing this 3d designing stuff.

Thank you! Smile I'll continue to do it, at least during these hols.
deanhills
It's awesome Sarat. Do you have any more models to show us? Very Happy
saratdear
deanhills wrote:
It's awesome Sarat. Do you have any more models to show us? Very Happy

Thanks for checking them out Dean! There are a few on the first page as well, but they are not as good, because it's my very early work.

I'll try to do more and post it. Smile
Bondings
The models seem very realistic, sarat. Congratulations!
milleja46
wow that's amazing, i wish i could do stuff that good still learning though Wink
saratdear
Bondings wrote:
The models seem very realistic, sarat. Congratulations!

Thank you Bondings! Smile

milleja46 wrote:
wow that's amazing, i wish i could do stuff that good still learning though Wink

When I started off I was very bad. Don't worry, everyone improves with time. Smile
saratdear
Something I did very quickly - a desk lamp. Not very good, if you ask me. Smile

What do you think?
FunDa
Not bad. Your models are pretty good.

But the bulb should be bigger.

And the table(?floor) surface is too reflective.

Also, practically speaking, there looks like there is some problem at the joint, almost like it overlaps itself, but I'm not sure how the modeling software will allow it except in a no clipping mode.

Try to model on Pixar's animated table lamp.

That is awesome.
saratdear
Thanks for the comments, Funda.

It wasn't really a modelled bulb at all - what you see is the area lamp I had added, with the brightness really turned up. I'll work on it and try to produce a real table and stuff.

Blender does allow objects to overlap, though.

Pixar's animated lamp is awesome. Very Happy
pll
That's really interesting to see how you improve your skills!
Gitesh
Saratdear your work is great, it seems my next software to learn will be blender.
pll
You could always try Maya or 3D Studio Max it's a bit more professional.
saratdear
pll wrote:

And expensive as well. Smile

I couldn't afford those. And I don't want to use cracked versions or anything.

@Gitesh - Thanks. Smile I hope you love Blender.
xxhotnosxx
really nice and cute teacup. the edge where you pour the tea is a bit hard though but the texture was handled perfectly. Applause
FunDa
So, any further designs sarat ?

Or busy with school/college ?

Quite a fee free 3d modelling software has come out. Make stuff and post it on places like Deviant Art or maybe even thingiverse for comments Smile

Keep up the Good work.
saratdear
@Funda - it is the latter. I'm busy away at college. Sad

I don't get to check even Frihost from there usually, let alone work on Blender from there. That's why my points are low. Looks like I'll have to give Blender a rest for some time.
mahirh
saratdear wrote:
pll wrote:

And expensive as well. Smile

I couldn't afford those. And I don't want to use cracked versions or anything.

@Gitesh - Thanks. Smile I hope you love Blender.

Well, they do infact provide free versions without limitations for jobless people or students on their websites (trust in humanity restored). As for your models, you could have added refractions on the glass objects, they simply look dull with just transparency, you could have also used reflections on the screens and picture frames. But to be honest, uour renders look amazingly lifelike with the nice ambient occlusions. I must have underestimated the power of blender. Best of luck on your way forward!
saratdear
Started taking an interest in Blender again after quite a while - their improved Cycles rendering engine is really good.

Something I set up in one afternoon. I know the image is really noisy, but that's because I didn't run it long enough. Any comments on improving the photorealism?

zaxacongrejo
you are losing time in blender
you already started ,the walls are down, my opinion it is time to move foward and install max or maya and there are thousands of copies, cracks, serials, etc, online so its also free
saratdear
See that's the point. I'm not interested in learning in a cracked version when Blender is certainly very capable.
zaxacongrejo
you are losing your time, but thats up to you, in the end is your time
JasonNewman
nice work. i have had some experience with 3d modeling, mainly in autoCAD last year in highschool (sophomore year) and i remember i randomly had blender on my computer and i was using it, but it was so long ago that i don't remember the purpose.
mathiaus
A small reminder to certain people that you must not promote illegal distribution of licences software!
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13011.html (1.b)

Good work saratdear! Very Happy
It's great to see learning and improving with something that has this kind of result, especially through free software!
I downloaded a (free & legal) trial of maya around a year ago to follow some tutorials in a magazine and it took ages to make a short ball bounce. It looked rubbish compared to the tutorial but that was done by a pro. In addition to this just being fun, there is a huge about to learn, about light and the physics of objects when they stretch or contract or compress, etc. Not for the feint of heart.

Keep at it saratdear and we hope to see some more models in the future!
zaxacongrejo
a good tip why not to build your own dream house, it doesn’t need to be for tomorrow it can even take years is a project and at the same time an hobby and a learning process but do it in max loll Very Happy
zaxacongrejo
doubled sorry
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
A small reminder to certain people that you must not promote illegal distribution of licences software!
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13011.html (1.b)

No one was promoting illegal distributions but they exist its fact, and thanks good they exist
And we never know when the hobby finishes and a job can show up and he notoriously like to build

have you evert tried virtual worlds?
saratdear
It's funny that you mentioned dream house, because this last render was first in a series of them. Smile What you see is actually shelves under a staircase and a computer desk next to that.

And I'm on the way! Will update more renders as I do. BTW what's virtual worlds?

And thanks @mathiaus!
zaxacongrejo
I believe is the more time/reward project or even actual house it’s also good to have a model for future updates so you can see everything. Power lines, water lines walls etc. And plan with
Accuracy before call the construction teams
saratdear
zaxacongrejo wrote:
I believe is the more time/reward project or even actual house it’s also good to have a model for future updates so you can see everything. Power lines, water lines walls etc. And plan with
Accuracy before call the construction teams

zaxacongrejo I'm an architecture student now. All this is a way for me to brush up my 3d skills which I'll need in the coming years! Smile