FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Quality of life

Wolf1918
For those of you who have read my other posts about my aunt and her current state of health and her broken ankle, I have a question for you.

I've watched several people that I loved slowly deteriorate and die. Assuming that you are reasonably healthy, at what point would you rather die than continue living? That is, if you were not in horrible pain.

Would it be when you could no longer take care of yourself and live independently? What if you only needed a little help now and again? Or what if you were bedridden and could only get up to go to the bathroom? Or if you were completely bedridden and had to use a bedpan every time you had to go? And you had to have someone feed you and wash you?

Seeing the people I love decline like this has me concerned. I don't think I would want to live like that. But then again, maybe you can't really make that decision unless or until you reach that point.

I mean, really, is it worth all the pain and indignity just so you can lay in bed all alone and stare at the TV all day? I think I'd rather just check out and get it over with.

Just my 2 cents,
Chad
matam
You must active more outside.
deanhills
Wolf1918 wrote:
For those of you who have read my other posts about my aunt and her current state of health and her broken ankle, I have a question for you.

I've watched several people that I loved slowly deteriorate and die. Assuming that you are reasonably healthy, at what point would you rather die than continue living? That is, if you were not in horrible pain.

Would it be when you could no longer take care of yourself and live independently? What if you only needed a little help now and again? Or what if you were bedridden and could only get up to go to the bathroom? Or if you were completely bedridden and had to use a bedpan every time you had to go? And you had to have someone feed you and wash you?

Seeing the people I love decline like this has me concerned. I don't think I would want to live like that. But then again, maybe you can't really make that decision unless or until you reach that point.

I mean, really, is it worth all the pain and indignity just so you can lay in bed all alone and stare at the TV all day? I think I'd rather just check out and get it over with.

Just my 2 cents,
Chad
It would be great if it could be in our power to do so. Just simply flick a switch of a kind when we think we are ready for it. Being surrounded by people like that however can't be good for your mental outlook. I'm not an Oprah fan, but by accident watched one of her shows a few weeks ago about the best places to live from a longevity point of view. She had some interviews with people who were in their nineties etc who were obviously happy and healthy. The one lady was doing workouts in gymnasiums. She was photographed working a treadmill. What stuck in my mind was the advice of surrounding yourself with younger people than you are as they have the ability to keep you young and energetic. Animals were mentioned too. But I liked the part about young people. I get the feeling from the older people in my life that they need to know that they are useful to others. If they don't have that, usually they start to develop all kinds of illnesses and very soon die. I can imagine since it is not in our power to decide when we will die one day that it would be best to plan something in earlier years that would keep one in touch with younger people, interested and active as much as possible.
Crinoid
I was thinking a lot about this. You know, most of the people tend to accumulate during lifetime people around them that will be affected by their suicide. From moral trauma - this IS slap in the face for your children that they means nothing to you, to police investigation and being under stigma of this behavior in the family, dealing with the body, cost of this, unless you prepaid yourself. If my parent or family member did that, I would torture myself to the rest of my life what I did not to make their life more bearable. This will be not a healthy way to live and the whole life will be screwed because of this.

I had heard that then "this will be not my problem". It will be their, for the whole their life.

On the other hand, people who don't have relatives and means for a long term care at the late years shouldn't have this dilemma at all. Life makes choice instead of them.

Conclusion: unless the society attitude, way of life and values change, one must to do own best for not screwing up own family, no matter what it costs to you - do your best.
binsmyth
Maybe when I get all bored of my life or there is no one with me or just too tired of living