FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dual Boot Vista and OS X

Ghost900
I searched and didn't find any results that were for a Mac and Windows dual boot so here is my question.

I am thinking about Dual Booting Vista and Macintosh on the same computer, I do not want to use Boot-Camp as I will be using Vista more often and don't want to go through Mac to Windows.

I would be using two separate hard drives so they wouldn't just be on separate partitions but on two actual drives, is it possible to dual boot them like you would with XP and Vista so when you turn on your computer you have the option of one or the other?

Also Mac has a different Keyboard, is it possible to use a Microsoft keyboard on a Mac booted PC?

Lastly, does this create any issues running the tow together?
It seems that Windows and Linux get along better than Mac and Windows.
Diablosblizz
I assume your running this off of a PC, not a Mac. Here's some points:

1. It's illegal.
2. It's against Mac EULA.
3. With cracked versions, being that I hope you didn't buy it (cause if you did you're out a few thousand), there are defiantly compatibility issues.

It is, however, possible for Windows to be ran on a Mac, although I don't think Vista will run very well in a virtualization (Some linuxs can run nicely in a virtual state, but not as fast). I would stay away from Mac, cause you can get products on Windows that are the same as products on Mac. You might be able to find more information from the topic located here.

I hope this helps.
Ghost900
Thanks Diablosblizz for your comment, I actually have not bought any Mac stuff or even a second hard drive, I was going to find if it worked before I bought anything.

You are correct with your assumption, I am using a PC. Smile

Mac sure makes it hard to be a half Mac user, I wonder why thy would make it illegal to use there product on a PC? Confused
Fire Boar
Ghost900 wrote:
Thanks Diablosblizz for your comment, I actually have not bought any Mac stuff or even a second hard drive, I was going to find if it worked before I bought anything.

You are correct with your assumption, I am using a PC. Smile

Mac sure makes it hard to be a half Mac user, I wonder why thy would make it illegal to use there product on a PC? Confused

So that people have to buy a mac, spending even more money. It's a big con really. Apple really does like to try and get as much money out of people as possible. Not that the same isn't true for Microsoft of course.
Agent ME
I think the EULA for the Mac operating system says that it can only be used on a Mac branded operating system. I also saw online a work-around to this - attach an Apple sticker to your computer. It now has the Mac brand on it Razz

Though that doesn't cover how to obtain the operating system legally. I guess if you owned a Mac, you could transfer the OS from it legally.
froginabox
Agent ME wrote:
I guess if you owned a Mac, you could transfer the OS from it legally.

Unfortunately the terms of the license state, as you said, that you must operate the OS on Apple hardware only. So even if you had bought a copy of OS X.5 legally, it would still violate the terms of the software to install it on non-Apple hardware.
Diablosblizz
Fire Boar wrote:
So that people have to buy a mac, spending even more money. It's a big con really. Apple really does like to try and get as much money out of people as possible. Not that the same isn't true for Microsoft of course.

Indeed Microsoft does try to get money out of people, but that's the world now a days. I would still say that Mac tries to suck more money out than any company I've heard of.
Kashinilaya
Diablosblizz wrote:
I assume your running this off of a PC, not a Mac. Here's some points:

1. It's illegal.
2. It's against Mac EULA.
3. With cracked versions, being that I hope you didn't buy it (cause if you did you're out a few thousand), there are defiantly compatibility issues.

It is, however, possible for Windows to be ran on a Mac, although I don't think Vista will run very well in a virtualization (Some linuxs can run nicely in a virtual state, but not as fast). I would stay away from Mac, cause you can get products on Windows that are the same as products on Mac. You might be able to find more information from the topic located here.

I hope this helps.

I thought there was a (legal) Mac OS X version for PCs... it was beta, but working! It doesn't exist, then?
Diablosblizz
Kashinilaya wrote:
I thought there was a (legal) Mac OS X version for PCs... it was beta, but working! It doesn't exist, then?

I haven't seen a legal Mac OS X version for the PC. Do you remember the name of it?
Kashinilaya
No and I'm surprised so many people say it doesn't exist. I'm pretty sure I read an article on that last year or so, but can't find where. I entered recently in Mac Rumors forum. I'll check there. If i find it again, I'll post the link.
froginabox
You might be thinking of the OSx86 project, which allows you to run OS X on any hardware - but I don't think this is actually "legal".
Kashinilaya
Could be, I don't know. I'll check on that.
Ghost900
It would be sweet if they made a Mac OS X to work on a PC, I did a search and didn't find anything on it though except for a few websites who hacked it.

I did find the website showing how to install OSX on a PC but it used a patch and other tools that involve hacking. I think that's the OSX86Scene thing.

Some day Apple may make a PC Mac OS, who knows. Confused

I only wanted to do it as I am doing Web Design and will be using a Mac for collage and so I thought it would be nice to have a Mac dual boot, I personally don't like Macs more so I guess I will just learn on them at my collage. Very Happy
ProfessorY91
My two cents are that A Mac and a PC are basically the same pieces of hardware with different flavors. Its perfectly acceptable to go the other way around when some corporation forces you to play by their rules. Get a Mac Boo Pro with enough HDD space (preferably a solid state drive) and triple boot Vista, a Linux Distro, and OS X on it if you so please. Bootcamp will help you get started, then use a GRUB overlay when installing whatever core version of Linux you choose. In my opinion that would be an extremely flexible system.
Kashinilaya
There are at least two companies, one in US, the other in Europe, which are building machines to run on MacOS X. Apple is prosecuting the american one (since Apple claims MacOS is reserved for Mac computers). In the article I read, it is properly stated that wether it is legal or not depends on the laws in the country. Apple's restrictions may not apply in some coutries which considers such a limitation as a violation of constitution acts and principles. I believe the same holds for a piece of software (or even hardware) that would allow a PC to run MacOS... Now, if my old PC could run MacOS X, I would simply love it!
weableandbob
I've heard that Mac is very picky about hardware, so it's hard to run it off a PC
Kashinilaya
Just to complete the research, there is a free software called VirtualBox, that may be used to run a virtual machine with a different operating system. We can use two or more operating systems at the same time, without having to reboot the machine, that is, in parallel. I tried it in my MAC and it ran Windows smoothly. The drawback is that the screen is smaller that the usual and I have to use a smaller resolution in the virtual machine to be able to see the windows screen all right.

I had a dictionary that wouldn't run in MACs and now I'm happy I could make it available.