FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop cpu, no heatspreader

Peterssidan
Some month ago I bought a laptop (not new). It got very hot so I opened up to see if there was some dust. Deep inside I found what I think is called a heatspreader (a thing of metall). I think it's supposed to be located on top of the CPU. What am I supposed to do? How do I get it back where it should be? I don't think it will stick only by putting it on top.
coreymanshack
Peterssidan wrote:
Some month ago I bought a laptop (not new). It got very hot so I opened up to see if there was some dust. Deep inside I found what I think is called a heatspreader (a thing of metall). I think it's supposed to be located on top of the CPU. What am I supposed to do? How do I get it back where it should be? I don't think it will stick only by putting it on top.

Get some heatsink glue and glue it onto the processor if it doesn't connect via metal snaps. You are correct in your accusations. Heastspreader, more techincally called a Heatsink is supposed to be located on top of the CPU.
Peterssidan
I draw this image of how it looks like. Is this a heatsink?
ocalhoun

If this is loose, you should definitely connect it back before using the computer again, or you could destroy the CPU.

Put some heat-transfer grease on it:

Then, connect it back the way it is supposed to be.

Get the glue mentioned in the previous post if you can't attach it the factory-made way. Make sure it is heat-transfer glue, not ordinary glue, or it will be worse than nothing at all.
Peterssidan
The component I thought was the CPU instead was something else. Maybe the southbridge or northbridge. So it's not that serious but I will try to put it back.

The cpu looks fine but I wonder one thing. The thing that is located over the cpu, graphic proceessor and some other thing that looks similar. It has a thick soft blue layer for the two other component but not for the processor. The processor has only a metal area to be touched by. Shouldn't the processor also have one of these blue things? There is a third blue thing on another place, quite near the processor that touches two small black boxes. I wonder if this blue thing instead should be over the processor? It could explain why it gets so warm.
ocalhoun
Peterssidan wrote:

The cpu looks fine but I wonder one thing. The thing that is located over the cpu, graphic proceessor and some other thing that looks similar. It has a thick soft blue layer for the two other component but not for the processor. The processor has only a metal area to be touched by. Shouldn't the processor also have one of these blue things? There is a third blue thing on another place, quite near the processor that touches two small black boxes. I wonder if this blue thing instead should be over the processor? It could explain why it gets so warm.

Yeah, maybe it slipped out... try putting it back in.
Peterssidan
I glued the heatsink where it belongs. After some searching I found that there was nothing wrong with how the CPU was connected but I putted some thermal compound (AS5) on it hoping it gets at least a little cooler. I haven't used it much since I did this so I'm not sure if the thermal compound did help but at least the computer seems to work as good as before I took it apart.