FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

english threat

adeee
Hello guyz.

please tell me is there is no place for those individuals who can not proper know about english..

even me..

i have low knowlge but some one there who say me you will go from there he warns me..

he says that i can developed english firstly and come there for post..

is this my fault..??

I am living in Pakistan and Our language is Urdu..

and in Pakistan many people not know about english..

But he wants to comunicate you and other outsiders,.

is they can not do that..
??

please tell..

why you degrade Pakistanies in this meter?
coreymanshack
adeee wrote:
Hello guyz.

please tell me is there is no place for those individuals who can not proper know about english..

even me..

i have low knowlge but some one there who say me you will go from there he warns me..

he says that i can developed english firstly and come there for post..

is this my fault..??

I am living in Pakistan and Our language is Urdu..

and in Pakistan many people not know about english..

But he wants to comunicate you and other outsiders,.

is they can not do that..
??

please tell..

why you degrade Pakistanies in this meter?

I'm sorry I cant understand how he degraded you.
Diablosblizz
How would you feel if we came to Pakistan and started speaking Urdu. Of course, at first the words won't make any sense, but how would you feel?
PatTheGreat42
Wouldn't the best way to practice English to be to communicate in it? I think you should post all you want here and ignore the people who try to tell you otherwise.
desonium
Jeah you should ignore them. I am dutch so my english isn't also that good.
I always think, let them try to speak dutch for a time. I bet I speak better english than they do dutch Cool
m-productions
yeah I admire anyone who can speak/type more than one language, heck, i can barley handle my own at that =P. I try hard to learn others at time, but its a lot of work, and easy to mix them with all the gamer rules and such. So like I said, I admire anyone who can speak English also, I dont care how poorly, if I can understand them, its good enough for me.
mp3songshome
adee its not a matter of country ..
You will find loosers every where so the best way is just to ignore them .. english isnt the first language so we shuld not be ashmed .. we are here to learn and share knowledge. even those whose first language is english sometimes do mistakes...

so ignore all "shit talkers" and try to learn more and more.
guissmo
Actually, be proud of yourself that you are able to talk in some other language aside from your first language. It's a very good feat. Even though you're not an expert English-speaker, it still counts to be able to at least be understood.

Keep on posting and you'll be able to learn it well.
deanhills
I see this as a wonderful opportunity for you to learn a different language. You can even do it on the Internet. Much better to be positive and get to know the language then complaining about it. If you want to communicate in another language you have to learn to speak it. I have done a basic search and came up with the Website below, but I'm sure there has to be many more:
http://www.edufind.com/english/grammar/
SpellcasterDX
Perhaps whoever told you to learn proper english first was being a bit harsh. I mean it's not your fault english isn't your first language or even the official language. Just ignore people like that and continue posting, perhaps look up some websites that can teach you basic english so your posts can be understood easier.
standready
Post all you want! Best way to learn is to use. I would be terrible trying to use another language. I admire anyone that has learned multiple languages.
If someone politely corrects your usuage, fine, but to complain is just wrong.
Helios
I was the one who warned him. I sent him few links to improve his posts' synthax and an english-to-english dictionary to help him with his english - which he tooks as me saying "your english sucks, get out of here!" - that is not true at all.
The warning was sent to alert him about the rules thread and to send him the posting guidelines.
If my whole purpose was to get rid of the guy, I wouldn't invest my time in a PM and a warning.
There are users with far worse posts who don't care and it's them we want to get rid of.
Users like adeee - we want to keep them, and we want them to improve their posts.
watersoul
Helios wrote:
If my whole purpose was to get rid of the guy, I wouldn't invest my time in a PM and a warning.
There are users with far worse posts who don't care and it's them we want to get rid of.
Users like adeee - we want to keep them, and we want them to improve their posts.

...totally with you Helios, can't knock a guy for trying, gotta be helpful and assist with improvement, as long as I can kind of understand what someone is talking about and they're trying their best then they'll have my backing everytime...English is a pretty hard language with all the silent letters and stuff! Respect to anyone giving their best shot Smile
airh3ad
I hope you try to undertand the situation .
AresCJ
Does it really matter about the English contradiction, there's possibly a lot of foreign people online.
imagefree
Diablosblizz wrote:
How would you feel if we came to Pakistan and started speaking Urdu. Of course, at first the words won't make any sense, but how would you feel?

we will definitely try our best to understand what u say, and will help you learn more of our language. Main thing is that if someone is WARNED just because of poor language, its not fair on international level where you accumulate global traffic. If you are curious about the language and words, WHY not to restrict this service to just European, UK, USA, CANADA, AUS, etc countries?????
imagefree
desonium wrote:
Jeah you should ignore them. I am dutch so my english isn't also that good.
I always think, let them try to speak dutch for a time. I bet I speak better english than they do dutch Cool

i am one of those who feel that there should be just one language when communicating on International Level. (I do not like Leader in the market , yahoo google msn etc, providing services in more than one language). Yet we should be given a chance to learn english by communicating to other.

like desonium said, i too bet that u an english cannot speak better Urdu than we speak English.
Bondings
The warning was sent for poor quality posts and not just English. It was sent in the hope for an improvement of the posts, to help you, and definitely not to ask you to stop posting. I'm sorry for the confusion.
Helios
imagefree wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

we will definitely try our best to understand what u say, and will help you learn more of our language. Main thing is that if someone is WARNED just because of poor language, its not fair on international level where you accumulate global traffic. If you are curious about the language and words, WHY not to restrict this service to just European, UK, USA, CANADA, AUS, etc countries?????

imagefree, you don't understand the purpose of the warning system here. We warn to alert. That's it. If we want someone banned for something, that someone just gets banned. I didn't warn adeee bacause I want to ban him or stop posting here.

In adeee's case, the whole purpose of the warning was to guide him to improve his posts' quality (I'm not talking just about bad English here, mind you), so that other users will have a good time reading his posts, and he'll have a good time posting here. English will just develop in the process.

Bad posts always result in the author's absence due to loss of interest because other users simply won't like reading those posts. That's like self-banning with the addition of humiliation - something I wouldn't like for users like adeee.
apple
Now that that has been sorted out. Welcome to the forums and I hope you have a good time here Smile
Hogwarts
imagefree wrote:
just because of poor language, its not fair on international level where you accumulate global traffic

It's perfectly fair, and more than perfectly legal. Most countries require that you know the state's language prior to claiming citizenship, and for very good reason.

imagfree wrote:
like desonium said, i too bet that u an english cannot speak better Urdu than we speak English.

I don't foresee myself ever needing to speak Urdu; and thus I, along with many others I would assume, don't particularly care about learning to speak it.

Stop trying to act like you're oppressed. Degrade Pakistanis in this matter? What? I wasn't aware that Pakistan was the only country in the world that didn't had people in it who couldn't speak English properly.
jmlworld
English is not my first language but I still love to master it. I didn't go to an English school, yet I managed to make myself speak and understand in English.

Adeee, may be you need to better use Microsoft Word or other grammar/spelling checker. It will give you the opportunity of making your posts more understandable.
tony
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
Wouldn't the best way to practice English to be to communicate in it? I think you should post all you want here and ignore the people who try to tell you otherwise.

Good call, Pat. Practice makes perfect, even for English Wink
skygaia
Hm... english is not my first language. my first language is korean.
I had learned much time english at schools. but I can't speak english well still. I think you, adee, are better than me to speak in english. I've tried to developed my english so I'm here Laughing
even though sometimes I made a mistake to write in english, but I don't care.. because most of people here could understand me after they recognized that I'm not an english person.
I used to be shy to speak wrong english and not understand what other spoke in english. at that time my canadian friend told me "you have esl ears" : esl=english as a second language. So don't shy and don't be afraid of making mistakes....
Here is very good place to practice english. I think language is just one of the methods to communicate with others. Cheer up...
DoctorBeaver
There will always be problems when someone posts in a language they are not fluent in. Misunderstandings will occur both ways - people will not always understand the posts correctly and the poster may misinterpret replies. Of course, this often happens when speaking as well as posting or writing.

I'm willing to bet that just about anyone here who has travelled to a country where a different language is spoken has had problems. There are even difficulties between the English used in England and that in America. I can't recall who said it (possibly Oscar Wilde) but "Two countries divided by a common langiage" sums it up nicely. And I sometimes have trouble understanding people from the north east of England, my own country.

Now that the confusion this post is about has been cleared up (hopefully) I would also like to say hello and welcome to adeee. I think the internet is a wonderful medium for bringing together people from different cultures. We all have a lot to learn from each other.
deanhills
Hogwarths made a suggestion in the Suggestions Forum for some rules and regulations.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-107888.html

I wonder whether there would be any benefits for rules and regulations for people who are obviously second language English users:

Rules like:
This is primarily a forum for people who are able to read and write English. We welcome those who have difficulties in writing English, however in the interest of helping them as well as attending to the quality of postings on the forums the following rules apply:
1. Don't address postings to individuals in the forum: Hey guyz. All that is needed is your own opinion. Please use a capital letter when you start a sentence.
2. Use tools to spell check postings if those are available
3. Etc.

Would it be easy to add a spell checker to the "Post Reply" section?

By having a set of specific rules it would make it easier on the moderators to refer to as well as that it is about quality of language and nothing to do with culture.
leontius
That makes me remember of the first time I came to english forums. Sure it is hard to communicate with a new language, but then it's exciting in some way. While your peers are still struggling with forums in their native language you have made a much bolder move by participating in an english forum.

Try to read some posts made by experienced users (eg. moderators, 'addictted frihosters') for examples. Then try to mimic their goodness: proper capitalization, spelling, punctuation, flow of thought, depth of idea expressed. That's how I learned ages ago Wink
tchaunt
Definitely stay on these forums. Sure, you're not perfect at English. [Took this part out. I didn't see the middle of the ports] I wish you the best of luck on improving your English! Very Happy
snowboardalliance
deanhills wrote:

Firefox has a built in spell checker. I'm sure most modern browsers do too (maybe not Internet Explorer) if you are using the latest version...

Ahh, here we go:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features/#native
http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/spellcheck/
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/07/mac-101-enabling-built-in-spell-check/
http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95604
http://www.iespell.com/

I think that covers the basics for users wishing to have spell check to assist them.
deanhills
snowboardalliance wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Firefox has a built in spell checker. I'm sure most modern browsers do too (maybe not Internet Explorer) if you are using the latest version...

Ahh, here we go:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features/#native
http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/spellcheck/
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/07/mac-101-enabling-built-in-spell-check/
http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95604
http://www.iespell.com/

I think that covers the basics for users wishing to have spell check to assist them.
Thanks for the links. Good to have them. I'm not aware that Internet Explorer has any. It may have, and I have not discovered it yet .... Smile
ProfessorY91
Helios wrote:
I was the one who warned him. I sent him few links to improve his posts' synthax and an english-to-english dictionary to help him with his english - which he tooks as me saying "your english sucks, get out of here!" - that is not true at all.
The warning was sent to alert him about the rules thread and to send him the posting guidelines.

This pretty much says it all, doesn't it. You have to be motivated enough to learn to speak and write better English to be a Frihoster.

Agreed and understood.
DoctorBeaver
Spellcheckers can help with spelling, but the majority of problems I've come across here, and on other forums, appear to be with vocabulary & grammar. And face it, many native English speakers are abyssmal spellers with grammar that leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't even think about online translators. They may be OK for single words here & there, but sentences or phrases? No way. I tried to say Happy Birthday to my Chinese friend and it came out as "My hovercraft is full of eels" (or something of the like) Laughing
deanhills
DoctorBeaver wrote:
And face it, many native English speakers are abyssmal spellers with grammar that leaves a lot to be desired.
This is true. There is a good chance that people with English as a second language may have taken so much trouble to learn all the grammar and spelling basics, that they could even be better at grammar and spelling than native English speakers. I remember when I was doing the PADI Diver's course a number of years ago. We had a native English speaker teach us for two chapters, and then following that a Syrian took over, and I learned more from the Syrian as his explanations of how the equipment worked were much more carefully digested and prepared. He had to take much more trouble and in the end the pay off for his struggles was superior comprehension of how the equipment worked, and more efficient communication as a result.