FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Recommendations needed for a Free Firewall

LostOverThere
Hello, I'm in need of a Firewall and was curious to know if anyone knew of a quality Firewall that is free. I am running Windows XP and my current Firewall is PC Tools Firewall Plus.

Cheers.
sheedatali
LostOverThere wrote:
Hello, I'm in need of a Firewall and was curious to know if anyone knew of a quality Firewall that is free. I am running Windows XP and my current Firewall is PC Tools Firewall Plus.

Cheers.

What is wrong with the firewall that comes built into windows XP ? I have used it for a long long time and never had an issue with it and besides it saves you some performance which you will consume on installing a different software. Just make sure that you do not add services to it that you will never use.

If you are still not convinced then go for ZoneAlarm, it is the best windows based firewall out there and they have a free version which has basic firewall (still very good, better than many paid alternatives on the web).
Diablosblizz
Windows firewall is enough if you are behind a router. If you're not, or you're still worried try Comodo Firewall. It's free, and has a HIPS based detection (behaviour based instead of signature) built in. There is no antivirus though, unless you choose to install it.

It's decent and free.
Marcuzzo
sheedatali wrote:

If you are still not convinced then go for ZoneAlarm, it is the best windows based firewall out there and they have a free version which has basic firewall (still very good, better than many paid alternatives on the web).

I also use ZoneAlarm, it is quite good, once you have used it for a while because in the beginning it can be quite naggy
LostOverThere
Great, thanks guys. Has anyone tried PC Tools Firewall Plus? I've heard some good things about it.
amperx
thanks for the info too diablo

comodo, ima try taht out, im not liking Za anymore, if its not as much resource hog as ZA then ill go for it Very Happy
Diablosblizz
14 MB here, that's with the antivirus though. It's very lightweight, and I love it.
LostOverThere
I've decided to take ZoneAlarm for a spin. Hopefully all will go well.
shenyl
Most firewalls I have tried, works fine initially, when the rules and application signatures get lengthy, that is where the problem begins.

MS Firewall is OK, but you do not have the means to examine what has been learnt, and this too will run into the same problem as the other Firewall.

Vista and Windows 7 Firewalls has improved over the XP version.

Personally, I prefer FW which allows to save, restore and edit the "learnt rules".

When the lists becomes messy, i can simply restore or reset the rules.

Hope this can prepares you for your experiments.

With best regards.
Kashinilaya
Have you tried ZoneAlarm?