FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

N-map

raneez_n
Is it possible to scan a remote computer through internet?
Is it needed to be allowed by the Internet Service Provider?
Is it crime scanning a computer on internet?
froginabox
Yes
There isn't a good way for an ISP to block it
Scanning is not a crime, but some server administrators will blacklist IPs who scan them.
harismushtaq
There are network commands that can return information about IP addresses and different ports open on different addresses. Remote computers then can attempt connecting at different ports but will fail mostly because they are unaware about the application protocol.

Apart from this there is little that one can do with a remote computer. If you think that one can scan the hard drive of a remote computer, view and copy files etc so this is not possible in the best of my knowledge.

One way to get full access to a computer is to install a server on the target computer with the known application protocal. Then one can connect remotly with this server and execute shell command getting access to virtually every thing on the remote computer. This is the way several trojon work. But this is illegal if done without the consent of the owner of the computer and is termend as hacking.
froginabox
harismushtaq, unless you are approved to do any type of penetration testing on someone's network or machine, I would term any intrusion into ANY system hacking. And most of that is quite illegal, if not plain unethical.
silverdown
I know a person who scanned for computers on the net and he got fined 500 USD.... and it was the worse thing he coulda have done to because the court order that he get his internet service shut off.
leontius
Is it allowed to scan your own server? Is it ok to scan frihost if my site is hosted there?

(btw, sometimes I scan localhost to check my firewall)
froginabox
If you owned Frihost or got permission from Bondings, sure Wink
But since you don't own the server, I'd say you run the risk of getting blacklisted.

I automatically blacklist IPs that are showing scan patterns of things like nmap or nessus... they get released after a 2 week block.

silverdown, what country are you in? Just curious.
Kashinilaya
I believ it's all a matter of being allowed to do so by the owners. It souds odd, to say the least, to do it at will...