FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Open Solaris

raneez_n
Could anyone tell about the features of Open Solaris?
Is it entirely different from Windows and Linux?
sheedatali
raneez_n wrote:
Could anyone tell about the features of Open Solaris?
Is it entirely different from Windows and Linux?

Open Solaris is Solaris (SUN) operating system, it is primarily a UNIX operating system, very similar to Linux. It is primarily intended for Server market and high end clusters which require high performance and high availability. However there are ports of Solairs for desktop distributions which use KDE/GNOME and makes an excellent OS for desktop user too.
raneez_n
I'm a java and J2EE student, Will it help me in anyway?
sheedatali
raneez_n wrote:
I'm a java and J2EE student, Will it help me in anyway?

No mate, Java runs pretty much everywhere, it does not require Solaris knowledge to develop. You only need to focus on your programming skills and less on OS skills. JVM abstracts OS details from application, so pretty much all well written java applications will run on any platform that has JVM. However it does not hurt to learn an OS because little bit of systems know how always helps.
albuferque
Few months ago, i was using OpenSolaris in a virtual way (across VirtualBox in my Linux box) but the performace is very poor (i' ve got 512 MB in RAM, but i think to upgrade my system !). After some experiments wit Solaris 10 (the installer is more ligth than OpenSolaris) i' ve decided to install OpenSolaris 2008.05 (Indiana) directly in the hard disk. The summary of process:

# The autodetection of video card and monitor failed, but with the xorgconfig command (i remember my times with Debian Potato !), i fixed it.
# The sound and network card works fine.
# The installer is very easy, although is some slow. (The installation process take about 2 hours.)

I'd really really prefer MILAX:
http://www.milax.org/

a small size Live CD distribution which runs completely off a CD or a USB pendrive. It is based on Solaris Nevada and includes its basic features. What originally started as an experiment to see how much Solaris software could fit in miniCD eventually became a full-fledged OpenSolaris distribution.
razum2um
Quote:
I'm a java and J2EE student

Where is enoght tools for java developers under Linux.
Why do you refuse it?!